5%
there is no limit
37%
Fish someone?
5%

Total votes: 267

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm only recently feeling satisfied with my synthesizer collection. I don't even feel like I need Serum at this point. Granted, I'll always be down for more, but I don't feel like I need more right now.

Currently, I use(have):
Synthmaster
Hybrid 3
Loom
Xpand!2
The Computer Music vault(Simplified versions of Zebra, Dune, etc. Dune is basically the full version, just no built in FX and less modulation slots)
CRx4

Maybe it's a coincidence that I'm putting out an album soon... maybe note.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I want to add one last thing to this conversation.

Whenever I'd ask for a recommendation for a synth, there would always be one person with the usual "How about making music with what you have instead of just getting more synths?"

There is no correlation between the number of synths one has and their productivity. I have close to 100 VSTs. I also have 247 tracks (as of this post) on my Soundcloud account. Many of which are recent songs. In fact, I have a whole Vocaloid playlist of over 30 tracks alone, most of which were done this year. Many within the last month.

Just because one buys a lot of synths doesn't mean that all they do all day is tweak knobs and get nothing done.

Conversely, a person can have one synth and never write anything.

Productivity does not equal number of synths owned either positively or negatively.

wagtunes wrote:Since this thread has been resurrected, I want to add one last thing to this conversation.

Whenever I'd ask for a recommendation for a synth, there would always be one person with the usual "How about making music with what you have instead of just getting more synths?"

There is no correlation between the number of synths one has and their productivity. I have close to 100 VSTs. I also have 247 tracks (as of this post) on my Soundcloud account. Many of which are recent songs. In fact, I have a whole Vocaloid playlist of over 30 tracks alone, most of which were done this year. Many within the last month.

Just because one buys a lot of synths doesn't mean that all they do all day is tweak knobs and get nothing done.

Productivity does not equal number of synths owned either positively or negatively.
So..........Are you bragging or complaining?

I think along the lines of how much sound capability is enough ? I also like that moment when you think... "I know what will slot into that section ! " and then you create a killer sound from a synth that you almost forgot you own.

Synths have different characters and you can make an incredible piece of music with 1 synth. Rarely we do that with 1 synth so the argument does not really stand.

I find inspiration in synths, sometimes from adjusting a preset or making a new sound and using a synth to sculpt a sound is cool. But inserting a VSTi and fiddling around is part of the fun at some times. Sometimes you know what you want and sometimes you spend an hour and a half messing around on a synth getting no music made.

In the end I try and see all of this as part of one organic flow of the process. Music needs light and shade, more synths = more options and timbres, it can keep things interesting in the mix.

How many synths is not a number it's a personal and individual feeling.

I always say as much as your space and needs force you too as it comes down to what you want/need to do (if you do contract work) and what you have to create it with, some of my projects only use 1 others more than 10 so it all depends.
Cubase 6, Alesis Fusion, Virus Ti, Korg Triton & Digital & Analog Collection, K2000R, Yamaha CS1x, Komplete 9, Kirk Hunter Libraries, NVA Taiko Drums, Uhe Ace, Bazille and Zehbra, Polyana, Jamstix 3, Toontrack Drums and more libraries and VST's

Karma_tba wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Since this thread has been resurrected, I want to add one last thing to this conversation.

I am simply stating a fact. Nothing more, nothing less.

Interpret it however you want.

i have many but the one i use most is Mpowersynth , i also use reaktor for specific sound ( when i need audio rate fx for example, some modular madness , some fx..) i also have and created many presets for serum bazille aalto , largo and some synth i probably forgot..

all these synth are way too much for me so even if they are all good soundwise in the end it come down to the ones i enjoy most creating patchs and the one that give me the really best sounds for my liking , so ideally i would just own Mpowersynth R6 i would be the most productive but really enjoy serum , bazille and aalto too..
if you want to go really deep in a synth and get the best out of it you can t have many complex one imo just 2 or 3 is more than enought and anyway there is not too much choice these are the only one i feel satisfied with the sound quality from what i have used/owned in the past.
( i like tal 101 too but it s not really complex ,synth like this are a bit like a 303 it doesn't really hurt the workflow it s quick to program )
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

wagtunes wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:

As I interpret it that comes to 2.47 songs per synth.....whatta deal!!! :clown:

Karma_tba wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:

And how do you know I didn't use multiple synths on each song?

Do you really get off on being an ass?

wagtunes wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:

Wags....you take yourself WAY too serious !!! Instead of buying a new synth why don't you buy yourself a personality!!
"In ancient Rome..there was a poem
About a dog that had two bones
He licked the one..he sniffed the other
He ran in circles till he dropped dead" DEVO ...."Freedom of Choice"

Karma_tba wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Karma_tba wrote:

Wags....you take yourself WAY too serious !!! Instead of buying a new synth why don't you buy yourself a personality!!
"In ancient Rome..there was a poem
About a dog that had two bones
He licked the one..he sniffed the other
He ran in circles till he dropped dead" DEVO ...."Freedom of Choice"
I like my personality just fine. It helps me tell who my friends are.

Oh, and I love Devo.

I enjoy a few favourites much more than a hundred others "so when it comes to thinkin' 'bout anything but my baby, I just don't have the time."
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Me too. Seems to suit me much more to filter out and concentrate on a few selected synths, rather than have my VST folder bubble over.

wagtunes wrote:There is no correlation between the number of synths one has and their productivity.
Exactly. Nor any correlation between number of synths and quality of music.

Nor are synths interchangeable commodities, where four is always greater than three and ten always less than one hundred.

I know I have some synths I don't use much. Does that mean I should avoid checking out any others which might suit me better? Of course not. If I had that attitude I would have stopped "collecting" gear in about 2004 and missed out on a lot of great things.

42 for sure.
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

Return to “Instruments”