5%
there is no limit
37%
Fish someone?
5%

Total votes: 267

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recentyl I count the synthesizer I own and came up with 14 vsti and 5 synths from my DAW (Live Operator, Tension, Collision, Electric, Sampler/Simpler) which I use (!). All in all 19 synths, I dont know why but I felt guilty despite the fact I use all. I asked myself if a reduction of my arsenal will improve my (already great :hihi:) skills at sound design and imagination. How do you think about it?
rabbit in a hole

I get confused when i use more than 5 soft synths. :P I'm rather an advocate of the "less is more" paradigm. I simply don't see a point in using so much stuff. Even 4 or 5 synths seem plenty to me.

Differencies go very small after 5 flexible synths. Even more when one is like Reaktor as in my setup. Try learn most of my synths. I try also learn making drums and pad sounds.

86 and still growing.

You can never have enough synths. lol

I like to have a library that contains more plugins than I know what to do with. :D It's a great feeling to be working on a track, trying to figure out a sound, then find something forgotten in your plugins that works perfectly. I should really clean out all the expired demos from my $100 synth hunt, though...
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

I have more than 50 VSTi and 3 hardware.

They are carefully chosen, each one gladdens my heart hehe

They are for surfing mainly,
I have a broad stroke of synth programming-
but specifically I am not real good with any of them.
My focus is building a MIDI guitar plugin atm,
so like I say, lots of scrolling presets

I have no means of accurately measuring the number of synthesizers in my possession.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

There's no limit... But each and every damn time I tell myself "This is the last one I'll buy for awhile - and I'll learn what I've got".

Never happens!

As long as I find a synth that bring a new character and new sounds to my Collection then I will most likely buy it. Same goes for effects.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I have 40 VSTi and 1 hardware.

1 hardware is enough as a hardware for me, but for soft synths I can make my music comfortably with 10 synths. I can with only 5 as well if I squeeze it a lot (although I really don't know what synth I would sacrifice from the top 10!!). Hmmmm, possibly I can't choose 5 from the 10 synths :hihi:

But to be honest, the three must have for me are Monark, Razor and my Blofeld (or Largo). With those I can do my music and don't feel a big need for another one, but unfortunately, I can't sell synths like ACE, Dune 2, ... etc. I just can't think of selling them! They are gems for me, and I feel happy just to see them :cool:

deastman wrote:I have no means of accurately measuring the number of synthesizers in my possession.
+1 (literally :D )

The square root of minus 1 - or (i) - which everyone knows is an irrational number :D

nix808 wrote:I have more than 50 VSTi and 3 hardware.

They are carefully chosen, each one gladdens my heart hehe

They are for surfing mainly,
I have a broad stroke of synth programming-
but specifically I am not real good with any of them.
My focus is building a MIDI guitar plugin atm,
so like I say, lots of scrolling presets
That's like casual sex. Start getting more intimate my man, the rewards are worth it.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Tons of synths is a bad thing because you never ever master all these tools then.
I voted 5 because 5 versatile synths is already enough if not too much and should cover a lot.
If i could start new i think i just would use the Logic intern synths, FX plus some extern FX.
Maybe Omnisphere....Falcon....Zebra...Sunrizer....are there we go again.
But really, less is more. I will not buy any more synths because i don't think there is a synth which give me a new thing.
I'm more interested in updates if existing synths or new and better tools for physical modelling (something like Sculpture on steroids).
I get boring of researches to emulate old analog synths instead of creating a new approach.

Enough = number of synths you own + number of synths you don't own + 1
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Instruments”