One Synth Challenge #88: TAL-NoiseMaker (Mac/PC) (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-NoiseMaker

Taron wrote:
liqih wrote:
wagtunes wrote:...
Your English is fine and you make perfect sense. In a nutshell, yeah, that's about the size of it. I hate the rules. I don't like working within the restrictions and ultimately it's just not as fun as creating a track with vocals and 33 different synths and any FX I want including samples and what not. THAT'S fun. This isn't.

At least not for me.
Cool, but if you hated the rules why entering the OSC at first?
(I can vaguely guess an answer)
I would drop that conversation at this point, really. No need to put our wonderfully wacky wag on the spot, while he's already bouncing around on it. Before this subject gains even more weight than it already has, I would love to suggest what I always (in so many ways) suggest to wag: Take a deep breath, do what you love to do when you love to do it and don't concern yourself with all the measuring nonsense. You have the same fantastic generosity we all have, who offer the fruit of our passion to everyone. While you, wag, are worried about the quality of your stuff, we all take a bite from it the same way we sample every track that makes its way into the OSC and- as far as I believe- we're all grateful for every taste (even the ones we "kinda hate" :hihi: ;) ...I'm still a bit sorry about that!) ...so, yeah, relax, speak with your music, I mean, don't write big posts about how you feel, make music about it instead! :phones:

I personally completely and utterly love the challenge to squeeze something magical out of a single synth, as long as it doesn't crash my machine every 2 minutes or melts down its insides (and mine). I love this challenge for my own sake as well as the pride that goes with sharing the magic itself. It's really about 30% the "look at me"-factor :lol: ...and easy 70% the "wow, check this out for what it can do"-factor. Maybe even just 20/80, come to think of it. With enough praise it may appear reversed, but when I work on this stuff it is 100% "wow, that's so fascinating and fun"-factor.

I do my fair share of lamenting, too, when a synth disappoints me by sending me into a kind of hell, but I've learned my lesson and simply skip those then. I could add a list here, but that would be nasty, I'm afraid, haha.

Anyway, always focus on the craft, always focus on your degree of delight for the sake of your creative experience. Don't waste time on judging beyond the means of improving your track to the best of your ability. When you hear a weak spot, try to formulate the weakness and write it into google, for example! Take some common words that could describe the trouble you find and see what you'll find!
For me my mixing world changed already alone when I had learned about the existence of "limiters". :hyper:
But I have been a very confident and stubborn musician for a long, long time, not because of how secure I was about the "quality of my music", but about how sincere I felt about it. That might sound weird...hmmm... anyway, like I knew "This has been my music, it is what I wanted, I used the best of my understanding to craft it and invested the most honest focus I could offer". Every time I do that, what ever feedback I get will allow me to build upon my sincere level of skills, I will learn to express myself a bit more clear in a way.

Talking about big posts...hmmm... enough, I guess. Anyway...
- Always do what you want, wag, and know that we're happy to have you!
- Don't ever be ashamed! Only cheating would be shameful and the only kind of failure there is!
- Express yourself through your music and don't release it until you personally feel like it says what you wanted to tell! Then just let it speak for you!
- Rock On! 8-)

Thanks, by the way! :oops:
Taron, love listening to your music and reading your words of wisdom. I wish I could have your attitude but the truth is, I'm just too competitive. And when I don't do something well, I stop doing it. I've been this way my whole life with the exception of, ironically, my music. Because you see, I've never really done music all that well even at my best. I was never blessed with the best timing when playing which makes bringing my ideas to reality a chore. That's why I went to writing stuff in Finale with my classical compositions. But then I'm limited to the libraries compatible with Finale which, at best, don't sound all that great. The only reason I keep doing my music at all is because if I didn't, I might as well not exist. But in that same universe, there is music I "enjoy" doing and music I'd just assume not do. The OSC hes become something I'd just assume not do because it's become too frustrating. I am glad I wrote that track for MUX. It finished 15th and is one of my personal favorite pieces. But outside of that, I can't even remember the other things I've done for OSCs. That's how bad they were.

So this really is for the best since there are only so many hours in the day and I'd rather spend those hours, when I'm not working, doing music that I really enjoy doing. Aside from that one track and meeting you and doctor bob and a few other people who have been really cool to me (BJ, Z, Jasinksi, a few others) the OSC won't go down as one of my fondest experiences.

Of course my music life in general has been bittersweet at best.

Here's a quick improve OSC song/soundtrack for my game Mega Neon Pong (which will be playable later today):
https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/bjporte ... -neon-pong

I made the graphical style a month back or so, but only the in past few days I've made it into a game. Here are some super early gifs/videos of it: http://imgur.com/a/I44vk

It's supposed to look completely ridiculous and fabulous. All SFX will be from noisemaker too.

Fits nicely to the game, well done. Small niggle: It could use some more highs. Sounds a bit dampened all in all.

chk071 wrote:Fits nicely to the game, well done. Small niggle: It could use some more highs. Sounds a bit dampened all in all.
Yeah it really does sound dampened thanks.

:dog: deadline on thursday night. That's worst case. :x
Track is almost done but i killed the mix somehow yesterday. No time to finish.

All feel lucky now not have to vote on it :hihi:

Maybe I'll post it here anyway.

Already nice tracks in the list. Good luck everyone. :tu:

MTLE wrote::dog: deadline on thursday night. That's worst case. :x

Upload it for the spirit! :party: :party: :party:

bjporter wrote:
MTLE wrote::dog: deadline on thursday night. That's worst case. :x

Upload it for the spirit! :party: :party: :party:
Sorry have no access to the file the next 24 hours.

wagtunes wrote:...
Of course my music life in general has been bittersweet at best.
You know what's one of the greatest things in real life? Your decisions are your decisions, regardless of any and all rules, for that matter, and there's no need for you to stay, no need for you to leave and every chance for you to come back when ever you wish to.

In the meantime, with all my heart, I wish you happy trails and hope to see you here again when ever you feel like it. That's how I roll anyway! 8-)

Competitiveness is only the result of skewed conditioning and is driven by fear, not by ambition. Learn to let go and free yourself to enjoy every thing you choose to do and life will improve infinitely, I can assure you! The illusion of having to hold on to every bit you can gather only weighs you down and takes away from the energy within you to truly experience the ever changing life through which we all move together. Really, it's never too late to learn to let go so you are free to receive the true wealth right in front of you. :)

Is this sounding better? https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/bjporte ... -neon-pong

Any suggestions to make it more fabulous and mega neon? Does it sound damp still?

soundcloud.com/user-106170363/fields

Hope I got that right, bit of a hurry and soundcloud is new to me :D 23 instances of noisemaker and ableton limiter on the master.

EDIT here it is embedded

https://soundcloud.com/user-106170363/fields

EDIT AGAIN I thougt time was almost up, apparently not :dog:
Last edited by Dalle on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hi,

tried to finish this, but had to stop Sisyphus working... :cry: So here it is:

Hanz Meyzer - As We Dreamed
https://soundcloud.com/hanzmeyzer/as-we-dreamed

DAW: Renoise 3.1 Mac OS
Synths: 37x TAL Noisemaker VST
FX: Renoise internal only, 21x Compressor, 3x Bus Compressor, 1x Maximizer/Limiter, 20x EQ5, 24x Digital Filter, 6x mpReverb2, 1x Reverb, 1x Convolver, 20x Multitap Delay, 1x Slight Distortion (4%)
Dynamic Range: DR 8, RMS -9.4dB

Hope you like it!

Ancient - Genuine Suede-like Finish
https://soundcloud.com/grafic/ancient-g ... ike-finish

DAW: Ableton Live
Synth: TAL-NoiseMaker - 55 instances (several tracks are layers of 2-4 instances)
FX: 11 tracks with DAW EQ, 9 tracks with DAW compression, 1 bus reverb using Smart Electronix Ambience reverb, Master bus compression

Hi all. It's been a few years since I did one of these so it was a lot of fun taking up the challenge once again.

This is a bit of lighthearted groove created with 55 instances of TAL-NoiseMaker, some DAW EQ, compression and Smart Electronix Ambience reverb. Nada mas. No attempts at efficiency were made since I had no problem running that many instances. Some of the more complex sounds (like the Rhodes piano) were combos of 2-4 instances of NoiseMaker. Initially the track was composed on iPad using Oscillab driving separate MIDI tracks in Ableton Live. Thesys was used to create the funky plunk ostenato part. The remainder was recorded as a live jam.

I ended up creating a fair number of patches for this (and modding a bunch more) which I'll upload to the KVR library.

Cheers!

Edited to add the SoundCloud URL

bjporter wrote:Is this sounding better? https://soundcloud.com/bjporter/bjporte ... -neon-pong

Any suggestions to make it more fabulous and mega neon? Does it sound damp still?
Have you tried adjusting some mid-side eq parameters? Maybe cutting a little bit of the low-mid frequencies in the sides might help to take out a slight muddiness. But honestly, I feel like the dampened feel gives that old game style honestly:)

My 25th entry is an 80s synthpop effort, minus vocals which I may add later.
Almost did not make it this month as my Muse took a holiday :( so ended up rushing this together in the last few days.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-semper/r ... inyl-promo

No of instances of TAL NOIze M4K3R - 28
Patches designed from scratch except for:- modified from factory patches - Kick Phat, Hat Short Moves, LD Crystal Lead, Fx Falling Break
Thanks to TARON for Choir 1 patch :)

DAW - MuLab

DAW Fx Used - Amplifier x1, Audio Level Meter x1, EQ x4, Limiter x6, Compressor w sidechain (kick/bass), Hi-Pass and Low Pass filters on Master bus.

3rd Party:- U-he Protoverb x2, TAL Reverb 4 x2, Voxengo SPAN.

DR= 8

For anyone interested the Mulab project file is here:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qq9ctawt31395 ... e.zip?dl=0

I will post patches shortly on KVR as usual.

Return to “Instruments”