AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Debutante wrote:^^^
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.tnnsupport.com/windows-7-an ... sors</span>/

BOOOOO!!!*^$#????
From your link I also saw this. Let's hope he's right:
"Processor analyst Dean McCarron of Mercury Research says the outcome will be just fine when running the older versions of Windows on those new-fangled processors that Microsoft has so loudly warned us about. And, his credibility seems pretty airtight on the matter."
I think it will be that some new functions are unavailable when running earlier OS.

This is also interesting:
AMD’s First Microarchitecture To Feature Simulataneous Multithreading

AMD has done away with the CMT – clustered multi-threading – concept that was introduced with the Bulldozer family of cores in 2011 in favor of a more traditional SMT – sumultaneous multi-threading – design. This means that each Zen core will be able to execute two threads simultaneously. A principal very high throughput thread and a secondary thread that can be used opportunistically."
A too quickly posted article here: http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpus-outper ... -detailed/
Simulataneus and sumultaneous multithreading sounds exciting. A simulacra and a summing multithread?
....ok, I either need more or no coffee. That's the question, but I think more sleep is the answer.

Seems AMD will miss the Christmas business and only start to sell its new desktop processors in January.

The new 8-core Zen cpu is said to be around $500, which is a lot for AMD. However, it will perform at the same level or even better than Intel's i7 5960X, which costs twice as much.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The new 8-core Zen cpu is said to be around $500, which is a lot for AMD. However, it will perform at the same level or even better than Intel's i7 5960X, which costs twice as much.
it's usually not "at the same level or even better" but rather "at the same level or even better*" where there are a lot of caveats under asterisk. well, at least they've apparently ditched the shared-by-two-threads FPU.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The new 8-core Zen cpu is said to be around $500, which is a lot for AMD. However, it will perform at the same level or even better than Intel's i7 5960X, which costs twice as much.
it's usually not "at the same level or even better" but rather "at the same level or even better*" where there are a lot of caveats under asterisk. well, at least they've apparently ditched the shared-by-two-threads FPU.
true...but that misses the point that theres no caveats or asterisks next to the price.
ImageImageImage

I was about to get a new 6700k bundle do u think I should wait a few weeks ? Or will this zen saga still be the same 6 months from now ?

Good question, I am wondering the same thing. luckily I am not in a hurry :) I suppose I will even wait for some time after the launch, just to see what reviewers have to say...

There is some more detailed info on the upcoming processor:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/ ... ease-date/
(The slides contain most of the tech details.)

scottishraver wrote:I was about to get a new 6700k bundle do u think I should wait a few weeks ? Or will this zen saga still be the same 6 months from now ?
I never ends. But here is a fact despite the constant back and fourth: AMD isn't as popular in the DAW for a reason. If they were better/cheaper, people would use them more.

That only applies to the past generations of AMD chips, but the new AMD chips will be at the same level as Intel's, including single-thread performance, which is still very important, unlike what AMD had anticipated years ago.

But even the FX processors are much better than their reputation, but they have always been heavily geared at multi-threaded applications, there they shine and you get very good value for your money.

If the new processor costs 500 bucks, I am not sure I will get it, maybe I will simply get an FX-8370, whose price will likely tumble when the new stuff is launched. It is already below 200 dollars, with the new silent stock cooler included.

If you guys want to see the recorded live show from 1 week ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DEfj2MRLtA

There are some tests made in this video against Intel i7 6900K and the results, Ryzen is 10% faster than the competition and they point out the price which leads me to believe Ryzen will be cheaper, but that remains to be seen.

i'm all for competition from AMD, but it's been a few times too many hearing "the new AMD chip will decimate Intel", only for it to turn out not to be the case.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:i'm all for competition from AMD, but it's been a few times too many hearing "the new AMD chip will decimate Intel", only for it to turn out not to be the case.
This. I jumped a week ago to intel bandwagon after years and years and years of AMD. Until we have some actual first-hand information about how AMD will perform. Before that, I wouldn't consider AMD at all for any kind of intensive processing applications.

They should just launch their shit, people need to buy/build new computers whenever they need to, not at some undefined time in the future...

10%? You mean I could run one more browser of naked asian girls while making my beats?????

Whoo hoo!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”