AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

murnau wrote:And?
...and you try to make a point out of me raking up post counts :hihi:

And you make another needless quoted reply below to rake up yet another post :roll:

Do you feel inferior because you have so few posts? :P
Last edited by Numanoid on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'd love to see real competition in the desktop/enthusiast market but I'm skeptical in AMD's ability to pull it off.

What makes it even more difficult for the audio market is most audio software is written by teams of fewer than 20 engineers (and often less than half of that). Those small teams have to focus on getting good performance for what's already in most people's machines and that's Intel. Doubly so if their product is also for the Mac. That means the machines they develop on, test on, and most customers run on are Intel parts.

At the micro-architecture level AMD and Intel often differ in their pipeline unit counts and instruction latency amounts. Intel has also been investing heavily in extensions like AVX which benefit audio-domain algorithms.

A few years ago I purchased one of the AMD 6-core Phenom II parts. Even though it had 4 more cores than the aging Intel Core 2 Duo it was replacing it still ran several plugns worse due to the less-powerful single-thread performance. Mea Culpa for not doing more research before purchasing.

Since then I've stuck to Intel and am wary of trying again. I'd love to be proven wrong with Zen.
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:I'd love to see real competition in the desktop/enthusiast market but I'm skeptical in AMD's ability to pull it off.

What makes it even more difficult for the audio market is most audio software is written by teams of fewer than 20 engineers (and often less than half of that). Those small teams have to focus on getting good performance for what's already in most people's machines and that's Intel. Doubly so if their product is also for the Mac. That means the machines they develop on, test on, and most customers run on are Intel parts.

At the micro-architecture level AMD and Intel often differ in their pipeline unit counts and instruction latency amounts. Intel has also been investing heavily in extensions like AVX which benefit audio-domain algorithms.

A few years ago I purchased one of the AMD 6-core Phenom II parts. Even though it had 4 more cores than the aging Intel Core 2 Duo it was replacing it still ran several plugns worse due to the less-powerful single-thread performance. Mea Culpa for not doing more research before purchasing.

Since then I've stuck to Intel and am wary of trying again. I'd love to be proven wrong with Zen.
:tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Numanoid wrote:
...and you try to make a point out of me raking up post counts :hihi:
Yep, my replies makes sense at least yours are utter nonsense most of the time. :love: :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Zen is a chip architecture, so I don't see the point in your previous post. Keller is a renowned chip freak, or expert if you will.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Zen is a chip architecture, so I don't see the point in your previous post. Keller is a renowned chip freak, or expert if you will.
But the "chip freak" leaved AMD last year. Thats very promising.

fluffy_little_something wrote:so I don't see the point in your previous post.
+1 Me neither :?

murnau wrote:
But the "chip freak" leaved AMD last year. Thats very promising.
Well, he had done his job, mission accomplished :tu:
The rest is up to AMD, Samsung etc.

Numanoid wrote:
Thats understandable since you both don't know the difference between "chip" and microarchitecture.

Well as I aint got a 64 GB RAM system, it just goes to show how uneducated ah am :clown:

Numanoid wrote:Well as I aint got a 64 GB RAM system, it just goes to show how uneducated ah am :clown:
I have 128 now, 64 is so 2012. :D

Sounds good to me :party:

murnau wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Thats understandable since you both don't know the difference between "chip" and microarchitecture.
The microchip is based on the architecture, so the architecture is a key aspect of the chip. No idea why you seem to think that a microchip engineer doesn't have to do with the architecture....

murnau wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
The microchip is based on the architecture, so the architecture is a key aspect of the chip. No idea why you seem to think that a microchip engineer doesn't have to do with the architecture....
No idea why you think your "chip freak" is the only one been responsible for the whole microarchitecture.

murnau wrote:
murnau wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
No idea why you think your "chip freak" is the only one been responsible for the whole microarchitecture.
Where did I say he was the only one?
Plus, what does that have to do with your logic before?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”