D16 Group teases PunchBOX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PunchBOX

Ok I listened to all the audio demos, and no i'm not that impressed. :(

Regardless, this is not a multi gigabyte library where a small limited demo makes sense. That's really disappointing that the demo won't let one audition all included kicks. Since i made a rule never to buy anything again where i can't demo it 100%, then this isn't for me.

I really like the workflow and gui of the d16, but not so much the results. Whereas metrum workflow is not the best, honestly, weird gui choices and some tiny elements, but it sounds great and very diverse.

In the AUDIO demos of punchbox, i found what i found in the plugin demo... seemingly constant minor variations of one kick. I'm not hearing a huge sonic palette.

I am also disappointed with SA kick 2, and the artist pack included, i wish i never upgraded, 25 pounds (50 aud) gone. Oh well..

I'll stick with metrum for now, and await my coming machinedrum, which is meant to be amazing at kicks.

Bazzism demo is pretty impressive and punchy, and i'll give guda another try too.

One thing i love about bazzism is the easy pitch matching to project. Probably worth 30 euros no matter what :) But C/R and one small indi dev.. that always worries me.

I find multi tool things like tattoo, and microtonic, weak for kicks (especially the latter). But they are great at percussion.

In other words, the main problem I face is, that so far, i find all the "all in one" drum plugins, just not good enough for kicks.

I really would love an edm drum instrument that does *everything* super well.

But still, it's a good idea to have a big variety of drum tools IMO. You can never have enough.

Machine drum will be useful and fun, but it won't negate the need for software drum machines. Perhaps when i can eventually afford an analog rytm, between that and machinedrum that will be all i need. Time will tell.

I'll also check out stix just in case it's the all in one that does do it all, well.

BTW since it's on sale will give heartbeat a go as well. That seems to cover tons of different sounds. I could be wrong.

Too many people bitch about presets. They almost always suck (especially SA KICK 2 presets) and almost never fit into your productions anyway. This is especially true with kick samples.

The true value of a kick synth is what you can create with it yourself. In terms of synthesis, nothing beats KICK 2 IMO. It´s incredibly diverse. What I don´t like about Punchbox is that all kick drums I come up with (from its synthesis section) tend to have the same characteristics, with slight variations. This doesn´t mean I don´t like the sound of Punchbox. It seems to do well in genres like Techno and Tech House. But of course, if you import your own samples the sonic palette increases ten fold.

For a person owning KICK 2, Metrum, BazzIsm and BigKick, it´s not a priority to get Punchbox.

Ohlson_M wrote:For a person owning KICK 2, Metrum, BazzIsm and BigKick, it´s not a priority to get Punchbox.
This is my dilemma. I'm a self-confessed D16 fanboi, however Kick2 covers my needs and then some.
Decisions :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Ohlson_M wrote:Too many people bitch about presets. They almost always suck (especially SA KICK 2 presets) and almost never fit into your productions anyway. This is especially true with kick samples.

The true value of a kick synth is what you can create with it yourself. In terms of synthesis, nothing beats KICK 2 IMO. It´s incredibly diverse. What I don´t like about Punchbox is that all kick drums I come up with (from its synthesis section) tend to have the same characteristics, with slight variations. This doesn´t mean I don´t like the sound of Punchbox. It seems to do well in genres like Techno and Tech House. But of course, if you import your own samples the sonic palette increases ten fold.

For a person owning KICK 2, Metrum, BazzIsm and BigKick, it´s not a priority to get Punchbox.
where was i bitching? I just advised i didn't like the included presets due to lack of variety, and it was suggested i listen to the audio demos on the d16 site which I did, cause the the demo doesn't include all the sounds. And all i heard in the audio demos was the same kick over and over again. Does coming out with an opinion of not liking a factory library constitute bitching does it? How could I have put it more politely?

And a drum plugin's included presets SHOULD be representative of what one can do.

I have never heard of such a thing before that kick presets almost always suck.. that's just wrong IMO. There are sample libraries out there and other plugins that have great sounding kicks, not needing any tweaking even. Ready to use and fit with your project's sound.

That said, the bit in bold, is why i don't like punchbox. We agree there. So i am not the only one.

For samples, i already have punch and metrum, so you are right, punchbox is of no use. I was hoping it's synthesis would be spectacular. It's not.

I could have used a better word. My main point is that IMO, most of the drum synth presets I have listened to are useless. 9/10 sounds bad and plain weird. Its the same with kick samples, therefore I don't judge the synth by its presets, even if that should be the case. As you say, they should reflect what the synth is capable of but often the presets are incredibly badly programmed.

I dont like the demo presets from Punchbox, but I like what I can program myself inside Punchbox, even if the synthesis section feels limited.

hey guys! for all those german speaker out there - here's a great 1st testimonial of pb :tu:

http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansi ... -test.html

enjoy & have a great weekend!
oli

thecontrolcentre wrote:
sin night wrote: The only thing I'm unsure is why just bass drums...
I would expect a snare module next, followed closely by a hi-hat/cymbal rack module. :wink:
You can easily fashion snare n hats and claps from Punchbox :wink:
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I bought Punchbox. Thanks to you, you mentioned Metrum, so I downloaded it and tried it out comparing it to Punchbox. For me PB was an easy winner. first of all, Metrum requires a eLicenser - I have one but feel I was forced into buying it because of Waldorf's completely stupid licensing policy (in fact there are some details about it most don't know and if they transfer a Waldorf license, the new license holder likely will not be able to replace it if they lose it even if its on the eLicenser). Also Metrum's GUI, well, basically sucks, for me. It was so bad it was effectively unusable (by me). But that's just me, YMWV. Also Metrum was more about layering samples than about processing them, where-as PB's approach is more about processing samples. I can understand why some say that Metrum has more variation in sound, because its all in the samples (primarilly). Where-as PB is more about the processing. So for me, I found PB a better fit because it's more about dialling in your own sound rather than calling up sounds. I am sure if I was forced to use Metrum I would learn it's processing engine but PB just came more naturally and its much more fun to work with. Metrum was not fun for me to work with because of the UI (very small vague controls). The other thing I like about PB is the synthesized drum selection. and it's cheaper (especially using the 20E off coupon). so there it is. thanks for the hears up on Metrum too, it was interesting to try it.

this thing is amazing. i can get the kick i need faster and easier then with the KICK 2.

I like it, used it on the last two tracks and it handles its role well and is easy to get good results from.

But on Live 9.6 on OSX El Capitan it sometimes goes silent and requires opening the edit window to bring it back to life. No big one but annoying and live it would be embarrassing.

gunark wrote:
But on Live 9.6 on OSX El Capitan it sometimes goes silent and requires opening the edit window to bring it back to life. No big one but annoying and live it would be embarrassing.
Is your version paid? I have that happening on Win 8.1 as well. I still have the demo installed, so I figured it was part of the demo limitations.

dtomaloff wrote:
gunark wrote:
Is your version paid? I have that happening on Win 8.1 as well. I still have the demo installed, so I figured it was part of the demo limitations.
Yep full version.

gunark wrote:
dtomaloff wrote:
gunark wrote:
Yep full version.
I reported this bug (Reaper on Win 7 x64). They said it was an issue they are starting to explore starting next week. They've had several reports about it. I'd say add your name to the list just so they are aware how wide spread it is (i.e. different DAW and OS systems)
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

plexuss wrote:I bought Punchbox. Thanks to you, you mentioned Metrum, so I downloaded it and tried it out comparing it to Punchbox. For me PB was an easy winner. first of all, Metrum requires a eLicenser - I have one but feel I was forced into buying it because of Waldorf's completely stupid licensing policy (in fact there are some details about it most don't know and if they transfer a Waldorf license, the new license holder likely will not be able to replace it if they lose it even if its on the eLicenser).
elicenser is a better option than C/R which is what d16 has changed their copy protection to. Once d16 disappears so will your ability to activate Punchbox.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I bought it today and really like it. You have to work quite hard to produce bad sounding kicks on it. The only other kick generator I have is Big Kick and I I don't think it will get much use anymore after testing Punch Box out.

I also like the fact that I can load any type of sound into the sample section, claps, hats, percs etc and use the effects to add more character to them.

Pretty cool in my opinion!

Return to “Instruments”