PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

DuX wrote:Have you tried this MIDI editor: https://www.squest.com/Products/MidiQue ... index.html Stupid American Pig? It also functions as a VST plugin. :)
I want to say that I used something long ago built on the soundquest/midiquest engine, but it was a bit iffy. I also kinda feel like for 500 bucks I want the hardware controller, but maybe I will dig in abit more and see. thanks!

martin_l wrote:I am looking into this. In fact, there is some (currently disabled) code in the plugin to deal with 14 bit controllers. However, I am struggling with the problem, that the MIDI standard does not allow to figure out easily (when learning) whether to expect a 7-bit or a 14-bit value. This is because the standard tells that the most significant byte will be sent first. So, when learning, you would need to keep the learning process 'open' until you receive the next Midi message, and then have to decide whether it was the least significant byte or some new message.

Now, that the major problems are sorted out, I will look back into it.

Cheers,
Martin
Hey Martin, glad to hear you're looking into an implementation. It's true that you'll need to buffer 2 consecutive MIDI messages in order to determine if the controller is sending a 14-bit value, but you can take advantage of the fact that the MSB and the LSB CC numbers should always be offset by 32 (FWIW I implemented MIDI learn with 14-bit support in a browser-based VA synth).

resistent wrote:
martin_l wrote:
resistent wrote:Congratulation for the final version. Superb synth I use it in so many situation. Everything is spot on.

Thank you very much.

Regards

BTW is it possible to set a default preset bank?
Yes, you can define it in the PG-8X.ini file. If the file was not created automatically, just create one by hand, in the same directory where the plugin lives.

Cheers,
Martin
Okay but how is the string called? I just see "PRESETDIR = D:\VST\vst.data\PG8X\" which defines the directory but not the PG8Xbank or? I like to have that PG-8X load an defined bank as ini when I load it up. Am I confused? :ud:
RTFM :hihi:

(https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... YmRjNmYyMw)

It's "DEFAULT_BANK =" ...

Hope that helps.

One more general tip for the ini file. Once you are happy with the settings, set LOCK=TRUE, otherwise it will keep on overwriting the default directory, and other values if you have changed them in a session.

Cheers,
Martin

resistor wrote:
martin_l wrote:I am looking into this. In fact, there is some (currently disabled) code in the plugin to deal with 14 bit controllers. However, I am struggling with the problem, that the MIDI standard does not allow to figure out easily (when learning) whether to expect a 7-bit or a 14-bit value. This is because the standard tells that the most significant byte will be sent first. So, when learning, you would need to keep the learning process 'open' until you receive the next Midi message, and then have to decide whether it was the least significant byte or some new message.

Now, that the major problems are sorted out, I will look back into it.

Cheers,
Martin
Hey Martin, glad to hear you're looking into an implementation. It's true that you'll need to buffer 2 consecutive MIDI messages in order to determine if the controller is sending a 14-bit value, but you can take advantage of the fact that the MSB and the LSB CC numbers should always be offset by 32 (FWIW I implemented MIDI learn with 14-bit support in a browser-based VA synth).
OK. I was in fact looking into NRPM messages for 14bit, as that would leave all CC's at 7 bit.

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks for this little gem it truly is lovely sounding! :tu: :party: :phones: :hyper:
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Here's some stuck notes in reaper,its only happens with poly 2 as the midi is moved on top of the previous midi,switching poly ends the stuck note

Congrats, Martin! :D
Very pleased to see this. Downloaded and donated. Cheers!
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

ere2learn wrote:Here's some stuck notes in reaper,its only happens with poly 2 as the midi is moved on top of the previous midi,switching poly ends the stuck note

Thanks for the details. The stuck notes are a result of the overlapping notes, you created by shifting the second set of notes over the first one. I will try to reproduce that and look at the MIDI stream generated by reaper in that situation.

In principle, hosts should not be allowed to send overlapping notes, as the plugin has no way to know which one to release first, But in reality, they do and I will try to make sure it does not lead to problems.

Cheers,
Martin

Next try: Will there ever be a AU-version (64bit)?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra, Sonoma, Logic X, Orion 32+, mioXL, V-Synth XT, JD-990, MC-909, OB-X8, NINA, KK61 mkII

flonky wrote:Next try: Will there ever be a AU-version (64bit)?
There is a semi-working beta of an AU (32 & 64 fat binary) in the dropbox folder (see link below), currently marked as "discontinued". It works, but it does not recall presets when reloading a project.

Now, that the VST is released and require (hopefully) only few further bug fixes, I will get back to the AU and try to get it running.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acg6b6k1m0cs ... 3j7Pa?dl=0

Cheers,
Martin

Great news!

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

martin_l wrote:Thanks for the details. The stuck notes are a result of the overlapping notes, you created by shifting the second set of notes over the first one. I will try to reproduce that and look at the MIDI stream generated by reaper in that situation.

In principle, hosts should not be allowed to send overlapping notes, as the plugin has no way to know which one to release first, But in reality, they do and I will try to make sure it does not lead to problems.

Cheers,
Martin
Don't overlapping notes happen all the time unless in mono retrigger mode?

fluffy_little_something wrote:
martin_l wrote:Thanks for the details. The stuck notes are a result of the overlapping notes, you created by shifting the second set of notes over the first one. I will try to reproduce that and look at the MIDI stream generated by reaper in that situation.

Cheers,
Martin
Don't overlapping notes happen all the time unless in mono retrigger mode?
I was referring to overlapping notes with the same 'note' value. Different notes, e.g. a C0 and a C1, of course, can overlap, but two 'C0' should not be active at the same time. It would correspond to pressing an already pressed key on the keyboard.

The problem is, you get a sequence of two Note-On followed by two Note-Off for the same key. If you allocate two voices (as is done in Poly 2), you have no way of knowing which one to release first.

Obviously, plugins _should_ also behave properly in such situation, and I _thought_ I got it right, but there seems still a bug, which I need to look into.

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”