PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Steinholtz wrote:
Steinholtz wrote:ps: I think something is up with the portamento but I'm not sure. It's like the Portamento on/off button sometimes doesn't work and portamento is always on.
Still having this issue and I know how to reproduce it now. It only happens in MONO mode. If portamento is on and I turn it off, portamento is off. But when i adjust the portamento time slider portamento it is suddenly on even when the portamento on/off switch is still off. Also shouldn't Mono Trigger have an impact on portamento so that when Mono Trigger is set to legato portamento only triggers on legato playing...?

This should be fixed now in version 2.0.13, which I just uploaded.

Minor update (2.0.13) released:

The non-functioning portamento switch should now be fixed.
Otherwise, the portamento behaviour is still the same.

I put legato-portamento on my ToDo list.

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks!

I have tried to download on two different computers, being blocked on both with the message that it is unsafe. Is it delivered as an installer, or a dll?

It is safe.
Uninstall whatever software tells you otherwise.
And the download is a .zip archive.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

nIGhT-SoN wrote:Oh my! This synth is amazing!
I really love the fat warm sound of it. I'm gonna make some preset banks for it.

Thank you very much!

LE: And as I said, I started making some presets, for now bank is 10 preset large.
Here is a demo: https://soundcloud.com/iulian-ionescu/p ... tuff-vol-1

Download link

Enjoy!

PS. Only kick is not made with this synth, the rest is PG-8X plus reverb/delay + limiter on the master channel., no other processing stuff.
The pad from 47 secs on is nice :tu:

nIGhT-SoN wrote: LE: And as I said, I started making some presets, for now bank is 10 preset large.
Downloaded, thanks.

Also tried to load your Dune1 free bank, but error 404.

I just noticed today that the two oscillators can't be tuned to precisely the same frequency. On a real JX-8P or JX-10, when not detuned with Osc 2's "fine tune" parameter, the two waves are precisely in tune and sound like one big saw/square/pulse (also true on JX-10 if you have both tones' 2 OSCs tuned the same, it sounds like one massive perfect saw/square/pulse). In PG8X, they're always at least slightly detuned and thus sound "phasey". This isn't a big deal, just something I noticed and wondered if it was by design?

Love this plugin, many patches sound basically identical to the hardware, it's quite an achievement. Thanks!

robohymn wrote:I just noticed today that the two oscillators can't be tuned to precisely the same frequency.
I can tune them to stop beating against each other, most of the time the OSC#2 detune knob is around 3 or 4.
But that works only per 1 voice, because other voices require different values of the detune knob.
Which i think is very realistic and desirable.
robohymn wrote:On a real JX-8P or JX-10, when not detuned with Osc 2's "fine tune" parameter, the two waves are precisely in tune
How can this be possible ?
From what i understand about how DCOs work, they are far more controllable than VCOs, but still not perfect.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote: How can this be possible ?
From what i understand about how DCOs work, they are far more controllable than VCOs, but still not perfect.
I agree it seems weird but I can verify it's true on my JX-10 -- all four DCOs on the same wave with no detune sound like one huge wave. If you start with one DCO on square, then add the other three successively, it's like the square wave just gets louder with each addition, but otherwise remains a perfect JX square, no phasey-ness at all.

I haven't been able to get PG8X's DCOs quite in tune, it's always at least a few cents off.

Another thing I noticed, not that this really matters, if you save a PG8X patch as SYX then load it into an editor for a hardware JX8P or JX-10 (such as jx edit), not all parameters are correct -- the DCO dynamics settings, the chorus, and a few others differ between PG8X and the hardware editor. No big deal, though.

Mutant wrote:
robohymn wrote:On a real JX-8P or JX-10, when not detuned with Osc 2's "fine tune" parameter, the two waves are precisely in tune
From what I understand about the old Roland DCO's, all the DCO's get their timing from a single clock, that would also explain why they are always perfectly in phase when you use no detuning.

eXode wrote:
Mutant wrote:
From what I understand about the old Roland DCO's, all the DCO's get their timing from a single clock, that would also explain why they are always perfectly in phase when you use no detuning.
Exact! THe DCOs in the JX share a common clock so they will be in exact phase betwen them. I`m not sure if the common clock is for all DCOs (all voices) or for the two DCOs in each voice only. Woulsd be great to have PG-8X with this real osc behaviour "cloned" :)

OK, that explains it. :)
I still prefer very subtle drifty differences between osc1 and osc2 and all voice cards.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

About the DCO tuning: On the hardware side, both DCO's are, in fact, clocked from the same source. BUT, at their pitch seems slightly offset against each other. Both my physical JX-8P and my MKS-70 do behave the same way, that perfect pitch alignment appears for a fine tune of about 4. When fine tune is 0, both my instruments do produce that slight phasing sound. I have re-calibrated my MKS-70, as the filter cutoffs were slightly off when I received it, but there is no adjustment for the pitch of the second DCO, so I guess it might be a firmware things.

As for the wrong interpretation of sysex data, could you please give me some examples, so that I can investigate it?

Cheers,
Martin

Numanoid wrote:Works fine in FL Studio 12, Windows 10, 64 bit

Love those slow LFO's on the OSC's, can rival Phonec for BOC style sounds :tu:
Numanoid how did you get this to work? I've got that exact set up but FL Studio wont pick it up. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Return to “Instruments”