Diva vs Reaktor - which one sounds the most analog?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Monophonic: Monark and the coming RePro.
Polyphonic: Diva and maybe Retrologue.

Reaktor sounds better and is more versatile. If you want analog sound, buy an analog synth, not a plugin.

.jon wrote:Reaktor sounds better and is more versatile. If you want analog sound, buy an analog synth, not a plugin.
:dog:

If you want a virtual analog vst, go for Diva or Retrologue 2.

If you want to spend thousands of dollars, go for a Moog (Sub37 is nice)

exmatproton wrote:
.jon wrote:Reaktor sounds better and is more versatile. If you want analog sound, buy an analog synth, not a plugin.
Why that reaction? If you really do desire an analog sound a plugin is always going to disappoint in the end.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Why that reaction? If you really do desire an analog sound a plugin is always going to disappoint in the end.
Time and time again blind tests prove otherwise. I'm pretty happy with Reaktor 6 and Diva for analog sounds.

It depends on the expectations of the OP. If he/she wants a 100% precise duplication of the hardware in software, he/she might be disappointed. But, if the OP wants a sound with a very good analog feel, I believe there are some few good synths are doing that.

Depends actually only on WICH analog synth, because real analog is not about one synthesizer or a single specific sound, it's about dozens of synths that sounded vastly different.

Minimoog, Jupiter 8, EMS VCS3, Korg MS-20, Prophet V, ARP modular, Odyssey, Synthex, OB-8, Voyetra 8, Wasp, Roland SH-101, Moog Modular, Poly Kobol II, Rhodes Chroma .... to name a few : Did any of the synths sound like the other ? Of course not.

And so are their software counterparts. When they exist. And when they are more/less properly emulated.

There is/was nothing like an 'one analog sound'. There were actually many analog synthesizers ...
Fwiw.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

do_androids_dream wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Don't know when the end arrives, but up until now I have not been disappointed with Diva.

Other good analog sounding soft synths, besides Diva and Monark:
ACE, RePro from u-he
SEM V, Mini V, Prophet V from Arturia
Vacuum Pro from Air (and Timewarp 2600)
and the freeware OBXD

Judging from the demos:
PolyKB II, Xils 3 (or 4), Synthex, Oxium from Xils Labs (I especially liked the demos of PolyKB II and it is on my list to buy).

Call me crazy, but I really like the sound of the above and they are more than enough analog for me! Maybe if I have NZ$5000 that I don't need, I would buy a Prophet 6 or 8, but for the same price I can buy a nice cute 10 years old Nissan Micra (which I'm still keep saving for it :hihi: )

Nissan Micra doesn't run on any DAW I've tried it in,
and certainly when you overdrive it, it squeals like a stuck pig hehe

Surely the question is which one 'sounds' better in you particular mix? :phones:

In my opinion sounding analogue is irrelevant, sounding 'good' is all the matters. I have several analogue synths, by the time they are recorded (digitally) have some (digital) fx added and a dithered and converted to digital no one can tell (and before you ask, real analogue just saves CPU and sounds much better live when it really is analogue!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Time and time again blind tests prove otherwise. I'm pretty happy with Reaktor 6 and Diva for analog sounds.
Tbh, i believe blind tests only prove that people are not able to distinguish between analog and digital, in tests which are made so that it's hard to distinguish between the two. :) If i hear that artificial noise is being added to the signal, then that has nothing to do with a fair A/B test. A fair test would be create 2 examples which are typical for the type of synthesizer being used. Also, it will be quite impossible to have a unbiased test, because everyone is trying to prove something. Just like in real life test and studies. Humans are just... imperfect in that regard. ;)

I also believe that if you really want analog sound, and have the money, you should go for an analog synth. Unless the obvious in-the-box advantages outweigh the sound perference considerations. Which is a good reason not to go with a hardware synth.

klagga wrote:Both have been quite a while in the market now, so what is the KvR-consensus about these two synths, soundwise, if you want to have the most analog sounding one?

I´m aware that Reaktor is very flexible and can sound like other synths than analog ones as well, but, when trying to sound analog, how does it compare to Diva?
I've used the demo version of Diva and it sounds great, but you may want to check out u-he's ACE as it sounds very good and is only $85.

nix808 wrote: and certainly when you overdrive it, it squeals like a stuck pig hehe
:lol:

klagga wrote:Both have been quite a while in the market now, so what is the KvR-consensus about these two synths, soundwise, if you want to have the most analog sounding one?

I´m aware that Reaktor is very flexible and can sound like other synths than analog ones as well, but, when trying to sound analog, how does it compare to Diva?
Before this thread explodes in the usual hardware-vs-software-infestation, I just want to add one crucial component to the mix: usability.

Diva is very easy and inspiring to use. Reaktor is much more complex and not as direct if you are not the engineering type. Monark is a great sounding ensemble to Reaktor and it really shows the potential of Reaktor. But I would pick Diva any day in the week above Reaktor.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Instruments”