Can't get Logic to Open

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So my macbook pro just got back from the apple doctor and they decided my machine needed to be updated...

Now I can't get logic to open. It wants to do an AU scan that takes ridiculously long. After 18 hours I had 32 out of 101 loaded and it froze and had to force quit. Now it keeps doing that.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

So is your machine running El Capitan now?

You could try downloading an app called Onyx. It is a very useful app for repairing permissions and general Mac maintenance - you can clear the Audio Units cache which might help in your situation. I usually turn to this app whenever I'm in a spot of bother. It has helped in every instance.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Be sure to download and install the latest drivers for all your music hardware too.

Hope you get sorted.
Opax

No it's still on Yosemite but I've noticed a lot of driver updates etc. I just know when I sent it for repair logic was fine now I can't even open it. It just hangs on the AU loading screen for hours until it crashes.

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:No it's still on Yosemite but I've noticed a lot of driver updates etc. I just know when I sent it for repair logic was fine now I can't even open it. It just hangs on the AU loading screen for hours until it crashes.

Thanks,
Kevin
Move ALL the plug-ins out of the folder _ It's in Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components, an relaunch Logic. If it starts, then add the plug-ins again, in very small groups (like five each time, and restart Logic each time you add another group.
Fernando (FMR)

This happened to me last week with a new El Capitan upgrade. What I did was note what plugin was trying to load at the time of the hang, removed it from the components folder, reinstalled it. Relaunched Logic. Then it seemed to remedy itself.

Thanks guys,

I will give moving the plugins a try. It's not a particular plugin that it hangs up on, it's a different one each time. But generally speaking the ones it's having trouble with are the automap versions. The thing is that I can't find those in by component folder so need to find out where those are. I really don't need all of them and they want to scan every time logic opens. This being a laptop I'm not always connected to an automap device.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:Thanks guys,

I will give moving the plugins a try. It's not a particular plugin that it hangs up on, it's a different one each time. But generally speaking the ones it's having trouble with are the automap versions. The thing is that I can't find those in by component folder so need to find out where those are. I really don't need all of them and they want to scan every time logic opens. This being a laptop I'm not always connected to an automap device.

Thanks,
Kevin
There are just two places that Logic scans for AU plug-ins, AFAIK: ~/Audio/Plug-ins/Components and User/Audio/Plug-ins/Components
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:

Thanks,
Kevin
There are just two places that Logic scans for AU plug-ins, AFAIK: ~/Audio/Plug-ins/Components and User/Audio/Plug-ins/Components
Thanks again,

So I found out that the "auto map" plugins were stored in an alternate location and removed them. So I tried to load up my project and still no luck. This time it's hung up on Logics 'Channel Eq' which isn't in the 3rd party location obviously and I don't see it inside the package contents.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:
fmr wrote:

Thanks,
Kevin
Thanks again,

So I found out that the "auto map" plugins were stored in an alternate location and removed them. So I tried to load up my project and still no luck. This time it's hung up on Logics 'Channel Eq' which isn't in the 3rd party location obviously and I don't see it inside the package contents.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Kevin
Apart from telling you to try deleting the preferences and fix permissions (a common problem in Os X since ever, and many times the responsible for many headaches), I don't remember anything else. The Channel EQ is part of the code of Logic itslef, and not a traditional "plug-in" the lives outside the program.

Do you have any other programs installed? Do they run OK? I am starting to fear that it's your OS that's messed, because of the parts replaced. I had my logic board (main board) replaced last summer, but everything was working after the repair except for authorizations (and I had to install a third party app to control the CPU fan).
Fernando (FMR)

Everything else seems to work fine but I don't use this laptop for much more than browsing, writing, and composing in logic.

This is the second logic board they've replaced in 2 months. Maybe I will reach out to Apple customer care. It's still under warranty. Blows my mind that a 2011 laptop is still under warranty :D

Thanks for the help,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:Everything else seems to work fine but I don't use this laptop for much more than browsing, writing, and composing in logic.

This is the second logic board they've replaced in 2 months. Maybe I will reach out to Apple customer care. It's still under warranty. Blows my mind that a 2011 laptop is still under warranty :D

Thanks for the help,
Kevin
Before doing that, you could do one last experience. If you have an external drive (USB, but preferably Firewire/Thunderbolt). Install a fresh OS in it and then Logic, and see of it works OK. If it does, then the problem is your OS (or your hard-drive).

You can always return it to service, But I fear they will be of little help on this. especially since you say that everything else is working. Maybe you could try download Reaper and run it with plug-ins. It is free and fully working for 30 days, and requires no special authorization - just download, install and that's it.
Fernando (FMR)

Do you remember where the preference file for logic pro x is hiding? Going to try and trash that and reload it.

That experiment seems flawed to me. I have another computer in my studio with logic on it that works fine. It seems unlikely that it would be the OS or the hard drive but you might be right. If it comes to that I will take it to apple repair just because it's still under warranty.

As far as Reaper - I've used it and it's great but it's just not my cup of tea for composing. Besides I have hundreds and hundreds of logic files that I need access to. I am not looking to switch DAW's. In fact just did from S1 and have been very happy minus these stupid little issues with logic.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote: As far as Reaper - I've used it and it's great but it's just not my cup of tea for composing. Besides I have hundreds and hundreds of logic files that I need access to. I am not looking to switch DAW's. In fact just did from S1 and have been very happy minus these stupid little issues with logic.

Thanks,
Kevin
I suggested Reaper just to experiment the OS hypothesis. Because, if Reaper works flawlessly in the current OS, then the OS cannot be blamed.

Regarding the Preferences, I am in my Windows machine right now, but usually there are Preferences files in ~/Library/Preferences and User/Library/Preferences. If not, you may also look in Library/Application Support (but its unlikely - usually the files stored in there are support files needed for the applications to run).

After deleting the Preferences, and before launching Logic again, do the permissions repair. Use the Disk Utility (it's in Utilities folder inside Applications folder) for that.
Fernando (FMR)

Aw that makes more sense :D well I have Live and Reason on this machine too and both of those load fine.

That's what I thought with the Preferences too but I could not find it in there. Let me look around a bit.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote:Aw that makes more sense :D well I have Live and Reason on this machine too and both of those load fine.

That's what I thought with the Preferences too but I could not find it in there. Let me look around a bit.

Thanks,
Kevin
I googled and found this: "A general preference file, named com.apple.logic10.plist, is found in the ~/Library/Preferences folder. A separate preference file for control surfaces, named com.apple.logic.pro.cs, is stored in the same location. You can’t edit either file directly. Any changes must be made in Logic Pro. If you delete a preference file, a new one is created the next time you open Logic Pro. All preferences will be reset to their default values."

If you have Live and Reason, and both work, then your OS is fine. It is most probably a corrupted Preference file
Last edited by fmr on Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”