Anyone notice the DAW affects the type of music you create?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BTW: Anyone noticed that continually posting at KVR significantly lowers both verbal and non-verbal performance on the WAIS-R intelligence test?

I chime into this useless thread because I'm bored. :)

Since I do not compose the music entirely beforehand and work with many electronic instruments and a lot of MIDI directly in the DAW, the DAW definitely influences the type of music I create. Even though I mostly have the things I want in my head, the DAW is part of the creative process, sometimes changes things, makes harder or easier, and generally influences the outcome. The tools of a musician and composer have a sometimes small, sometimes huge impact on the outcome, depending on their strengths and limitations. Kind of obvious. :lol:

JohnD71651 wrote:the DAW is part of the creative process, sometimes changes things, makes harder or easier, and generally influences the outcome.
'nuff said.

actually i would say, yes it does influence the output not in terms of sound so much as with structure. some progs are loop based, some are linear, non-linear, modular... so the answer to the OP is yes, it does. should not influence the sound or melodic content so much...

Anyone notice the DAW affects the type of music you create? Yes

I'ù using my Daws ( Mainly Cubase) in the same way I would use a 24 track Studer machine, except it's much easier to edit tracks, and somewhat harder to get a good sound rather than with a good analog tape machine + good hardware mixer couple. So, no it doesnt affect my workflow at all :shrug:

Should a daw be only pattern based for example, and prevent me to record in this stupid old fashioned linear way, it's simply not for me.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I miss noodling around in Audiomulch. It was more free-form than lane-based DAWs and allowed interesting routings.

I always made interesting godawful noise with it.

core wrote:
Zexila wrote:
inkwarp wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Isn't FL pattern based too?
yes it is. but it's own version of an arrangement view, the "playlist" is going from strength to strength in recent versions. it also now has a 'performance ' mode which you can trigger clips in various ways. i am still trying to get across it, but seems very good.
the other thing worth mentioning also, you can run FL as a plugin ( as well as rewire) so i am increasingly using it inside ableton and reaper. : )
So very similar workflow like Live, which makes me wonder what OP is gaining with it (FL) over it (Live).
For one, I find MIDI editing in FL Studio much easier & comprehensive.
As a Live user I envy those who get to use piano roll in Fl Studio
I ONLY LIKE MUSIC WITH CHARACTER
SOUNDCLOUD

Numanoid wrote:
Kinh wrote:Have you noticed the music you create and especially songs sound different depending on what DAW you use? Or am I just going crazy?
I think a user should select the DAW best geared toward the music that user want to make, not the other way around.

If the DAW "dictates" which music is made, it seems the user didn't know from the start what music s/he wanted to make
That last part is very accurate.

MarlaPodolski wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Kinh wrote:Have you noticed the music you create and especially songs sound different depending on what DAW you use?
I think a user should select the DAW best geared toward the music that user want to make, not the other way around.
If the DAW really changes the way you make music, or even affects what kind of music you're creating, you're doing something wrong.
Completely disagree. The reply statement has no basis in fact(s). It's a completely subjective remark. No facts offered as support, because as a subjective opinion there are none. It's not logical in any way, either.

Musicians and others who use DAWs are mainly all artists. To be an effective and high-quality artist, one needs to be sensitive to and able to be influenced by everything in one's environment , e.g. -- the paintings of an oil painter using a pallet knife only to apply the paint will look significantly different than the same artist using brush only. The tools used always affect the results obtained in some way, whether extremely obvious or not. This is such a fundamental law it is even true for chimpanzees using twigs to remove termites from mounds.

The DAW can also be considered and used as one medium (along with the more commonly thought-of media -- the musical instruments themselves) in the creation and delivery of the message -- the music.

Starting to sound at least vaguely familiar? Marshall McLuhan established almost 50 years ago that in our highly technological, post-modern age that "The medium is the message." So this is not even anything new.

Anyone with common sense would expect that anything used to help create any sort of product would have some degree of effect on the outcome and quality of the product. Considering that many of us DAW users have two or more DAWs for precisely this reason, along with certain other sometimes related benefits, one might be safe to assume that most of us figured out this odd physics thing called "cause and effect" before we spent hundreds more on further DAW software.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem to find more and more goofy, oddball and just plain false information each time I swing by this place trying to find out about new products and items on sale. Either I've made some kind of realization or else I somehow never noticed most of this silliness before. Which could it be?
:clap:

acYm wrote:
Kinh wrote:(Im contemplating taking the FL route now they've killed the bugs.)
ooh I don't know about that just yet... it's getting better I guess.
No need to guess, it's definitely gotten better. FL 12 is a powerhouse. :tu:

Got to agree with MarlaPodolski on this one. Sorry, losers (whyte, I'm especially looking at you... :roll: )

ethermusic1981 wrote:Got to agree with MarlaPodolski on this one. Sorry, losers (whyte, I'm especially looking at you... :roll: )
Very much agreed.

We can tell who are the Dogs and who are the Dog walkers :hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Earlier I felt that DAW kinda decided for me what genre I output :P Now that I've found my direction, I decide what music I make :D Though I've noticed that some genres "just happen" more easily is some spesific DAWs. That's why I love bitwig. It's a neat mixture of many DAWs so what ever workflow I'm looking for, I can find it in BWS <3

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”