NewSonicArts - Freestyle ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Freestyle

I'm curious if anyone is successfully mapping Reaktor 6 ensembles and blocks within Freestyle.

When I load R6 in Ableton Live it populates the parameters with generic parameter numbers until I load an ensemble at which point it allocates parameters to control automatically. In Freestyle I get the generic parameters but it never allocates the parameters to control and I can't get the Macros to connect.

Anyone had any success - care to share how to get it working?

thanks in advance
][oyd

jbuonacc wrote:
newsonicarts wrote:Actually fair enough, the envelope icon would be an intuitive place to lead to our contact details. Will get that taken care of.
looks like it's still the same as it was (newsletter only)? besides being a bit confused with the general design of the site, it seems to have some problems when using Firefox on Windows 7. usually if i hit one of the icons nothing happens. (can check it again to give more detail if you'd like, but for sure clicking on the three bars in the upper right does nothing.) also, i'm not seeing any way to get to the 'Freestyle' page from the main page. the three older ones just keep looping.
Yes its the same, this has not been updated yet. Web development is ongoing but as with everything there is a long list of todos :) But contact details are still listed on the Info page (as they always were).

It sounds like either you have javascript disabled, or you have a very old version of Firefox? Otherwise you could try clearing your Firefox cache, possibly there is a version mismatch (of our javscript files) occurring due to some caching. (In Firefox, you can do this by deleting the history and making sure all boxes are ticked(.
jbuonacc wrote: - i'm having some graphics problems when loading it, which makes it useless for the moment. many of the icons are just blank squares. am i missing some sort of Windows 7 component?
This means that OpenGL cant be started and Freestyle has fallen back to the GDI renderer. You need to make sure you have the proper drivers installed for your graphics card. Any fairly modern low end card has all the OpenGL features required, just need to make sure a valid driver is installed. Also check that you havent set windows to 16 bit colour, as that will kill the OpenGL HW driver and force it into some emulation mode.
jbuonacc wrote: - looks like there were some errors when scanning for plug-ins, but the error box popped up and disappeared so quickly that i couldn't see what it was reporting.
That box just appears to allow you to cancel plugins taking a long time. If it dissapeared then the plugin completed scanning ok.
jbuonacc wrote: - at the moment there are no options for parameter modulation within 'Freestyle'? pretty much audio routing only right now? ... are audio feedback loops between devices possible at all?
At the moment, yes only the Macro controls. But some outlook on the future regarding that was discussed earlier in this thread. Audio feedback works, but it has a latency of the buffersize.
jbuonacc wrote: - i currently own 'Granite' and 'Nuance', looking to take advantage of the e79 upgrade by the 15th. any idea what it would cost to add 'Vice' as well? upgrade price to the "Freestyle Suite"? don't think i see this option in my user area (when i can actually get into it).
Sorry but we have no direct upgrade setup to Freestyle Suite at the moment. However, in your case you can crossgrade to New Sonic Suite (ie add Vice) for 59 EUR, and then crossgrade to Freestyle for 59 EUR, but you would need to do it in 2 steps / 2 purchases.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Liero wrote:I thought I'd mention a somewhat competing product (hope you don't mind) that has one interesting feature that could work well in Freestyle as well. Nyrv Audio "Agent" (nyrvaudio.com) is a similar plugin host that has it's own dedicated Macro page, which is neat. You can freely create knobs, buttons or sliders and create a custom macro view to suit any need. So you don't have static pages of 8 knobs each, but a single page that you can just design yourself from scratch. Useful for live situations as well.

Where they fall short is that you can't really create true Macro's that control multiple parameters like in Freestyle. Freestyle also feels a lot more solid and is a lot nicer to look at.
I don't see this becoming a reality anytime soon, but FWIW yeah one day something like that would be great. Internally Freestyle has a dynamic / scriptable UI, and I hope at some point this is mature enough to be exposed for public use, allowing the user to build custom interfaces. But this is really a very long term plan, there are much more 'basic' / important features to come first. And also the first focus of any such API would probably be hardware support (perhaps a bit like how Ableton Live uses a Python based API to allow highly interactive HW control mappings for specific devices).
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

h2ogun99 wrote: This might be a Reaper issue, but when you click on a plugin and it opens in its own window, closing that second window also closes Freestyle's window. You have to go back to the channel strip and open it again. This holds true on both AU and VST. Logic performs properly.
This definitely seems to be a Reaper (on OSX) issue. But the good news is that we've found a workaround on our side (using a different type of window) that so far seems to work in all hosts. Should be included in the next release.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
Liero wrote:I thought I'd mention a somewhat competing product (hope you don't mind) that has one interesting feature that could work well in Freestyle as well. Nyrv Audio "Agent" (nyrvaudio.com) is a similar plugin host that has it's own dedicated Macro page, which is neat. You can freely create knobs, buttons or sliders and create a custom macro view to suit any need. So you don't have static pages of 8 knobs each, but a single page that you can just design yourself from scratch. Useful for live situations as well.

Where they fall short is that you can't really create true Macro's that control multiple parameters like in Freestyle. Freestyle also feels a lot more solid and is a lot nicer to look at.
I don't see this becoming a reality anytime soon, but FWIW yeah one day something like that would be great. Internally Freestyle has a dynamic / scriptable UI, and I hope at some point this is mature enough to be exposed for public use, allowing the user to build custom interfaces. But this is really a very long term plan, there are much more 'basic' / important features to come first. And also the first focus of any such API would probably be hardware support (perhaps a bit like how Ableton Live uses a Python based API to allow highly interactive HW control mappings for specific devices).
It would be good to at least give the option of each macro being a knob or button since many times it would be handy to map button to macros.

newsonicarts wrote:.. It sounds like either you have javascript disabled, or you have a very old version of Firefox? Otherwise you could try clearing your Firefox cache, possibly there is a version mismatch (of our javscript files) occurring due to some caching. (In Firefox, you can do this by deleting the history and making sure all boxes are ticked).
not too worried about this, but i'll look into it. latest version of Firefox here, but i can check the other stuff. another example, on the 'Vice' product page - clicking on the "Listen/Details/Specs" icons does absolutely nothing. same with the "Gallery" icon on the 'Freestyle' page, which is where i first noticed it. weird.

for now i can get into my User Area through a "back door" (link to the 'Freestyle' page from Google, then a link from there to the User Area login).
newsonicarts wrote:This means that OpenGL cant be started and Freestyle has fallen back to the GDI renderer. You need to make sure you have the proper drivers installed for your graphics card. Any fairly modern low end card has all the OpenGL features required, just need to make sure a valid driver is installed. Also check that you havent set windows to 16 bit colour, as that will kill the OpenGL HW driver and force it into some emulation mode.
this worked, thanks! had to upgrade my graphics driver, though i've never had problems with anything else up until this point. up and running now though.
newsonicarts wrote:At the moment, yes only the Macro controls. But some outlook on the future regarding that was discussed earlier in this thread. Audio feedback works, but it has a latency of the buffersize.
cool, thanks.
newsonicarts wrote:Sorry but we have no direct upgrade setup to Freestyle Suite at the moment. However, in your case you can crossgrade to New Sonic Suite (ie add Vice) for 59 EUR, and then crossgrade to Freestyle for 59 EUR, but you would need to do it in 2 steps / 2 purchases.
that seems like a decent deal right there, nice. i'll test out 'Freestyle' to see if it's something that i think i really need and go from there (pretty sure i don't need 'Vice', but it's a good deal for the both of them). not too sure what to think at the moment. i love the concept of these VST patching environments (have MUX and VSTForx), but for some reason they all have something about them that i'm just not too thrilled with. we'll see.

thanks again for your help!

FYI the latest public beta in the User Area now supports multiple VST paths, plus the Reaper OSX window issue is addressed. None of the bigger 1.1 features are in there yet, but a lot of changes under-the-hood have been made in preparation, so all testing is welcome.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Shouldn't it be possible to connect Midi plugins (like Thesys, PizMidi, Arpeggiators
or other strictly midi-only plugins) to connect inside Freestyle to a Synth via the round Midi-Connector?

This doesn't work on my end at all.

(OSX 10.10., latest Freestyle version as VST and AU, tested with Instrument and FX version
with several Midi-only plugins)

Could you look into that please?

Thanks & best,
tL.
Professional.

LYTZ wrote:Shouldn't it be possible to connect Midi plugins (like Thesys, PizMidi, Arpeggiators
or other strictly midi-only plugins) to connect inside Freestyle to a Synth via the round Midi-Connector?
That will be added in the v1.095 release. That will be available pretty soon, hopefully before Xmas if no big surprises come up.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Ah, I see.

Looking forward to that.

Best,
tL.
Professional.

LYTZ wrote:Shouldn't it be possible to connect Midi plugins (like Thesys, PizMidi, Arpeggiators
If you are on OSX, you might want to try the 1.0931 Public Beta, which was deployed today to the User Area. It includes support for MIDI between VSTs.

It also includes support for FXP and FXB files, and a new Event Shaper module for shaping velocity and MIDI CC values.

A Windows build will be available most likely next week.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
If you are on OSX, you might want to try the 1.0931 Public Beta, which was deployed today to the User Area. It includes support for MIDI between VSTs.

It also includes support for FXP and FXB files, and a new Event Shaper module for shaping velocity and MIDI CC values.

A Windows build will be available most likely next week.
Tested. Works.

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Best,
tL.
Professional.

Was able to purchase and looking forward to having some fun with Freestyle today. I'll be using the 'beta' build. If there's anything I can look out for while working with it, I'd be happy to do so.

Thank you and happy holidays - hope everyone is enjoying themselves.

Reaper (latest)
Live 9
Logic X

Mac Pro
El Capitan

I'm pleased and impressed how this plugin has developed.
I might have to buy it soon. :help:

Yes it's awesome - I use it all the time now for casual playing - really needs some means of recording stuff though (audio at least, if not also midi).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”