MIDI vs USB connection for midi controllers

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Googling the ESI, I saw a thread saying that the ESI does not do standalone routing and merging. I do not know if the allegation is true.

If ONLY used in conjunction with a computer, standalone routing and merging would be unnecessary because software can do that. But I often play my synths without using the computer, and some of the MOTU's can do filtering routing and merging controlled by pushing front panel buttons on the interface. I would miss that feature.

I went many years without playing or recording hardly at all, busy writing music software. Long ago bought an old MTP AV with the adb plugs rather than modern USB plugs. Nothing so far as I know, for the last 15 years, works with adb, so as a computer MIDI interface my old MTP is a boat anchor. But it still works great, built like a tank.

I have been playing some more after retirement but still haven't got intense enough to currently need more than one MIDI in/out pair into the computer. So I have some synths all wired into the old MTP running standalone as a MIDI router/merger. One pair of the MTP in/outs goes to the MIDI pair on my Focusrite audio interface. So I can send any combination of controllers to the computer, and send the single set of 16 midi channels out of the computer routed to spread out to various hardware synths connected to the MTP.

My KX88 controller and FA-06, I can set them to send on different channels, merge them with the MTP, and route it into the computer via the focusrite audio interface's one lonely MIDI input. Or if the computer is turned off, I can route the MIDI from the two keyboards to whatever rack synths I want, rechanneling each output port if necessary.

I was shopping for a bigger new usb interface a couple of years ago, but deferred buying one until I actually "need" one in day to day operation.

I think a couple of the current MOTU interfaces have some limited standalone routing capabilities. But so far as I know they don't currently make anything as kewl as that last USB version of the Midi Time Piece AV. When I was reading as of last year, it looked like MOTU still issues drivers compatible with the USB MTP AV. MOTU is one of the better companies for releasing drivers for obsolete hardware. Some big famous companies, if a computer or OS upgrade kills your interface, they figure you ought to just go buy a new interface, couldn't be bothered releasing new drivers for old thangs they already got your money on.

Dunno if it is still the case today that MOTU makes drivers Win 10 and latest MacOS compatible with the USB MTP AV. Am just saying, if it still works and I could find a good price on a USB MTP AV, I would rather have that than any of the "stripped down, less fancy" interfaces which MOTU currently makes. The current interfaces probably work fine and are probably still built great. But I'm spoiled on fancy features they used to put in their fanciest most-expensive interfaces.

I never got a USB MTP AV when they were making them, because I didn't need one at the time, and it was possible to use ADB on Macs up until the first intel Macs, sometime in the 2000's. The last powerpc tower mac I got, purt sure it was post-Y2K. Think it may have been the last powerpc mac they made. Anyway it didn't have a built-in adb, but I found a third-party card and software patch that kept the old adb MTP working with Digital Performer up to maybe 2005. I still have that powerpc mac and it ran last time I checked, but not something I would want to use today.

If you just want a nice standalone programmable merger/router, I think old adb, non usb MTP II and MTP AV are cheap as dirt and great assuming they still work. Last time I checked they are real cheap, because they are worse than a boat anchor if you want to use them for a computer interface. But one of the nicest standalone merger/routers you can buy!

theEmbark wrote:Is it worth paying 279 when I can get a used motu for about 100?
Probably not...
theEmbark wrote: Edit again.., : this just seems like a great deal http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/131724841044 might pull the trigger and take the gamble for $80. I really do like that it is the best of both worlds were looks like the esi is not.
Great deal! But still 2 days away until bidding ends. :idea:
I'd call it: best of 1,5 worlds... it still needs a computer to program (standalone) routings. This one is probably the best interface/patchbay combination:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug02/a ... lum880.asp
But probably even harder to find (/cheap) than the ESI. :wink:

Thanks guys,

I'll take a look for the MTP. The edirol I actually looked into. I definitely want something that doesn't rely on a daw but also works with it when I want. I found an edirol on eBay that looks like a deal but I don't know what pricing is looking like.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222021507440

So what doesn't the MTP AV do that the edirol does because those are cheap as dirt.

I want to be able to run my midi equipment without my Mac but I also want to be able to plug into my Mac and use my midi with my daw.

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

theEmbark wrote: I found an edirol on eBay that looks like a deal but I don't know what pricing is looking like.
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222021507440
That's cheap! (atm, the auction isn't over yet)
Over here they usually go between 200-300 €.
theEmbark wrote:So what doesn't the MTP AV do that the edirol does because those are cheap as dirt.
Have drivers for the the Mac OS you're running?
Those old midi interfaces weren't class compliant, so you definitely need drivers for your OS.

Aw okay,

I found this on motus site so it still must be supported to some extent.
http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... duct_id=16

Thank you,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

That is encouraging. Nice.

This page has later dated midi installers, and which motu states supports all midi interfaces-- https://www.youtube.com/

I had an MTP AV USB until recently and the drivers were working in OSX 10.10.5 and 10.11.2.
Now I'm using one of these: http://www.alyseum.com/al-88c.html

Works stand-alone or connected to computer via ethernet. All configuration is done via CopperLan client software. It's really nice because I can hook the AL-88c to a high speed switch on my network and then all of the computers on my network can access it's MIDI ports.

I was just now window shopping ebay for MTP AV USB. There seem quite a few non-usb MTP AV at very low prices.

There were only 2 or 3 USB MTP AV, at significantly higher prices. On the other hand, I think the thangs sold new for about $500, but could be remembering wrong.

The scariest thing, when I was just looking today there were two listings titled MTP AV USB, but looking at the pictures the items were plainly the older MTP AV with parallel port and old-style Mac adb RS422 connectors. Perhaps not intentional fraud. Maybe the sellers don't know enough about the units to know the difference between serial and usb. Maybe the sellers wouldn't know a usb cable if it was a snake and bit them. :)

Just saying, be careful. The USB models will have text "USB" up top in front, above the LCD screen, and also of course on the back you would see a USB connector near the power cable socket.

JCJR wrote:Just saying, be careful. The USB models will have text "USB" up top in front, above the LCD screen, and also of course on the back you would see a USB connector near the power cable socket.
Yeah, good call. I've seen a few non-USB versions being sold as the USB version. If you know what to look for it's easy to tell the difference but it can be easy to overlook. Most MIDI interfaces just have USB these days so some may not realize that there is a significant difference between the models.

Even if you are only using the MTP for routing or SMPTE/ADAT/MTC sync, it's nice to have the USB version as the Clockworks software makes configuration much easier than using the front panel.

Thanks for the heads up on the MTP I was thinking the same thing after I saw a few. Don't believe everything you read online as they say lol.

Related to this does anyone have a link to a fairly cheap midi cable or or multiple cables? I just need them for studio use so they really won't see wear and tear just need something reliable enough to get the job done.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Kevin DiGennaro

Thank you!
Kevin DiGennaro

P.s. Curious to know if you could use a parcel serial to USB cable with one of these
Sonething like this:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_Lit ... aQodwh0O8Q
Kevin DiGennaro

I wouldn't think so... but I haven't tried, so I can't say for sure.

Hmmm anyone have one with a serial port? I'd almost PayPal you the money for the adapter for an answer lol. Maybe I'll try the motu forums etc
Kevin DiGennaro

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”