Soft synths that really sound 'alive'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

.jon wrote:Oh one more video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8AxhbCL-rM

This guy takes it one step further and plays the computer via hand gestures instead of just controlling instrument parameters. Awesome!
Holy shit, mind blown! :o I am so getting one, it's like the hothand usb on steroids. :)

I don't know much about the other synths but i recently got Diva and that has definitely added a new dimension to my tracks.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

How does that work? Like a more advanced version of Roland's old D-Beam control?

D-Beam is not even close, detecting only ONE variable (distance). It's like yardstick vs 3D scanning camera.

Sure, but I was as asking about how it works, the basic principle behind it. Is it the same as with the D-Beam controller, i.e. hands cutting the length of invisible beams?

No, not really. D-Beam is a simple IR distance meter. 2 photodiodes - probably transmit and receive.
Leap Motion is rather a vision system - it detects two hands and "knows" which is which, detects fingers separately, detects 3D movements - distance being only one of them, etc. etc.

I got my Leap Motion last night, and set up GECO and loopMIDI to communicate with Live. There's a lot to experiment with the gestures, learning what will work and also calibrating their ranges etc, but initial impression is very positive. Even as it is as virtual as controllers get, it feels more like an instrument than all my physical MIDI knobs and faders.

I'll set a thread for Leap Motion elsewhere once I progress a bit more, would be cool to share experiences with other users :)

.jon wrote:I got my Leap Motion last night, and set up GECO and loopMIDI to communicate with Live. There's a lot to experiment with the gestures, learning what will work and also calibrating their ranges etc, but initial impression is very positive. Even as it is as virtual as controllers get, it feels more like an instrument than all my physical MIDI knobs and faders.

I'll set a thread for Leap Motion elsewhere once I progress a bit more, would be cool to share experiences with other users :)
Great to hear! (Also, slightly relieved :scared: )

I definitely agree about it feeling more like an instrument. Fixed controllers confine you to rigid beginning and end points. With the leap, even though the parameters you control have those same points, you can make the hand movements much more fluid.

Good idea to start a separate thread. I'll be buying an extension cable soon, so will hopefully get mine a little more usable :tu:

Oh, I want one of those!!

EDIT: Just purchased a Leap Motion and the Geco MIDI app. The Geco MIDI app has no download link, nor did I receive a link via email. There is also no download link on my account page.

I think the way to download the app could not be more opaque. I sent an email off to the developer. Not an auspicious start for ease of use.

pdxindy wrote:The Geco MIDI app has no download link, nor did I receive a link via email. There is also no download link on my account page.

I think the way to download the app could not be more opaque. I sent an email off to the developer. Not an auspicious start for ease of use.
Did you install the software package from the leap motion yet? It's all kind of integrated into the leap motion software (think itunes app store) and you don't get a separate download link. It should show up in the leap motion software, though.

x2mirko wrote:
pdxindy wrote:The Geco MIDI app has no download link, nor did I receive a link via email. There is also no download link on my account page.

Did you install the software package from the leap motion yet? It's all kind of integrated into the leap motion software (think itunes app store) and you don't get a separate download link. It should show up in the leap motion software, though.
Yeah! As far as I remember, you just register the unit and download from the leap store with the unit already running. It should just show up in the dashboard of apps

Thanks both for the info. That makes sense. There was nothing on the app page that indicated this process. I sent an email off to the developer but did not hear anything back so far.

The Leap Motion hardware just arrived today but have not installed yet. Will get to it in the next day or two.

I just thought I would quickly add, at least in a programmed track as opposed to a live keyboard performance I think this has 50pct to do with MIDI programming skills as much as the synth used. :neutral:

This Repro-1 shiny new thingie sounds pretty 'alive' to my e@rs. :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”