StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

Hi All,

Been lurking for a month during which time I purchased Stix. From the bit of time I have spent on it, I can say that I am very impressed. Pretty much a dream come true really. Congrats to all involved.

Please can anyone advise on one simple issue that I can't work out because it is either not possible or I am being thick:
Can I change the number of beats in a cycle for an individual sequencer line like one can do in Tremor? Typical application eg: Kik, Hats, snare in a 4/4 and a tom doing a pattern in 3/4...
Crucial feature for polyrhythm.

If it isn't possible, I'd be very sad but I'd still love Stix.

While I am at it, I'd like to add my vote for the following possible/hopeful developments:

-Choke is a no brainer even though I love the gate step story. Choke is a standard and frankly the two methods would compliment each other.
-numerical value entry
-snapping to pitches if possible
-Loading of tuning files
-VST Automation all round :)
-note probability (though I acknowledge that the lack thereof is somewhat mitigated by the cool things that can be done live like muting with keys and triggering hits live).
-Launching patterns on a beat, not a bar would be cool, though not a dealbreaker IMHO
- Ring Mod would be appreciated in the OSC section, and if not there than perhaps as an insert effect. If you are still considering compressors per synth I would guess you have to deal with the possibility of introducing 'insert fx' structure.

-BTW: on that note, if you were to add the option for compression I would vote for per drum hit compression. If I want to process the group I would ultimately run my drums through a compressor of my own choosing. Within Stix, I am more likely to want to have the handy option of controlling dynamics of an individaul drum synth.

Dillinger wrote:Thanks Lotuzia for listening. I am humbled as I am a fan of your sounds for Xils and Le Lotus Bleu. But...I want to know what I did to offended you enough that you tried sending me to a place that's currently cutting staff.

Anyway, having a blast with StiX, it's a muse.

R clap envelope is great. I used it on this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEY6t5Wwzk
Thanks for your kind words :hug:

:hihi: Yes NASA is probably outsourcing a lot of stuff. Still, only place to go if you want to migrate to another planet when all analog gear will be gone to dust 8)

Great contrast in your track between the drums and the -additive ?- synths :) :tu:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Unqlenol wrote:Hi All,

Been lurking for a month during which time I purchased Stix. From the bit of time I have spent on it, I can say that I am very impressed. Pretty much a dream come true really. Congrats to all involved.

Please can anyone advise on one simple issue that I can't work out because it is either not possible or I am being thick:
Can I change the number of beats in a cycle for an individual sequencer line like one can do in Tremor? Typical application eg: Kik, Hats, snare in a 4/4 and a tom doing a pattern in 3/4...
Crucial feature for polyrhythm.

If it isn't possible, I'd be very sad but I'd still love Stix.

While I am at it, I'd like to add my vote for the following possible/hopeful developments:

-Choke is a no brainer even though I love the gate step story. Choke is a standard and frankly the two methods would compliment each other.
-numerical value entry
-snapping to pitches if possible
-Loading of tuning files
-VST Automation all round :)
-note probability (though I acknowledge that the lack thereof is somewhat mitigated by the cool things that can be done live like muting with keys and triggering hits live).
-Launching patterns on a beat, not a bar would be cool, though not a dealbreaker IMHO
- Ring Mod would be appreciated in the OSC section, and if not there than perhaps as an insert effect. If you are still considering compressors per synth I would guess you have to deal with the possibility of introducing 'insert fx' structure.

-BTW: on that note, if you were to add the option for compression I would vote for per drum hit compression. If I want to process the group I would ultimately run my drums through a compressor of my own choosing. Within Stix, I am more likely to want to have the handy option of controlling dynamics of an individaul drum synth.
Thanks. I have already adressed some of the requests.
No. It's not currently possible to change the number of beats of a single line. Well, there are a lot of ways to make polyrythmic stuff, like reducing the number of steps also, or, in StiX, making an accurate use of the PolyStep modulator ( wich will just actually fake some notes gruppettos into polyrythms, whose total lenght is inferior to one bar length, so it's a limitation) (and you can somewhat also use it to fake probability of hits, especially if it controls some LFOs wich would in their turn controls VCA or significant parameters making possible to make notes 'disappear' -actually 'not beeing heard') Also different metrics in different lines are however possible, and might add some things seen/heard as 'polyryhtmic' -but here again, not 'real polymetrics'. Hmm not really wanting to go into semantics, as I actually dont know how 'polyrythm' and 'polymetric' could translate into English)
Shortly : Yes Choke would compliment the other methods. Variable line lenght, whatever how they are implemented, could indeed be nice. Compressors : Per drumpad, would take a cpu to consider, not counting room on UI ( Tabbed insert probably). Stereo compressor what be good for those who prefer a stereo bus ready to go. And so that people can listen to the global presets beats with a more 'produced' sound, when necessary. But would then become a bit useless if people prefer separate outputs ( Probably to use also their own compressors in most cases)

Changing patterns on beat : I have already answered such questions, but here's a more general POV to all functions relative to sync : StiX is sample accurate, and has rock solid sync to host. Though it might appear as the most basic feature a Drum Machine should offer, it has been the hidden side of the iceberg and a lot of work and sweat to make this happen hopefully totally bugless and working exactly as expected ( I think that everyone has read something about this or that drum machines sync or tempo bugs in the past) So, we'll adress even the smallest changes to the sync engines very very carefully. As some very small changes in the past has been proven to bring not so small problems. But, if it's doable, we'll for sure consider it in the future.

Overall, some time is needed now to see what we will do in the StiX future, what are the most desirable features, and also possibly some features that nobody thought of asking, but might possibly surprise and please you. So all ideas are welcomed, and will be considered, until a new cycle of development, other than fixing possible still existing bugs, or adding preset content, occurs.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

3 page review, Platinum award, and overall 9.1 score in latest issue of Future Music (306)

Numanoid wrote:3 page review, Platinum award, and overall 9.1 score in latest issue of Future Music (306)
Oh joy. Future Music/Music Radar - find me a review of something with 1 or 2 stars and I will consider them reputable. as far as I can see they always give stellar reviews to everything. I've tried to find critical reviews or reviews of 1-2 stars and I can't find any. To me these review sources are bogus.

Not-withstanding, StiX is an excellent drum tool (for me).

I'd like to see an actual real critical review of it however. Good luck trying to find that though with all the corruption in the plugin industry (eg. giving licenses way for good reviews, etc).

plexuss wrote:Oh joy. Future Music/Music Radar - find me a review of something with 1 or 2 stars and I will consider them reputable.
That's easy, just look up the review of BioTek :D

plexuss wrote:
Numanoid wrote:3 page review, Platinum award, and overall 9.1 score in latest issue of Future Music (306)
Oh joy. Future Music/Music Radar - find me a review of something with 1 or 2 stars and I will consider them reputable. as far as I can see they always give stellar reviews to everything. I've tried to find critical reviews or reviews of 1-2 stars and I can't find any. To me these review sources are bogus.

Not-withstanding, StiX is an excellent drum tool (for me).

I'd like to see an actual real critical review of it however. Good luck trying to find that though with all the corruption in the plugin industry (eg. giving licenses way for good reviews, etc).
Not sure. Xils did not always had the platinum award, full stars etc in Future Music. (I think only the XIls 4, Oxium and another one got these kind of notes. The PolyKB got only 3 1/2 stars for example :scared: , wich is a bit weird for me, as it's by far my favorite VA of all times )

As for reviews, it's my understanding that magazines etc determine themselves what they want to review, or not. And not the opposite. It's always good for a company to have a review. When it's a good one :)

I didn't have the time to read FM Stix review so I cant comment yet. We'll see.

Lotuzia wrote:As for reviews, it's my understanding that magazines etc determine themselves what they want to review, or not. And not the opposite. It's always good for a company to have a review. When it's a good one :)
Usually reviews are on one page, sometimes two pages. A three page review is quite rare in FM or CM.

More important than the ratings, that they set aside that much space in the magazine for it goes to show that they went into deep to try it out properly.

Looks like StiX can be had with 20% rebate using code STIXCM until June 30th.

Numanoid wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:As for reviews, it's my understanding that magazines etc determine themselves what they want to review, or not. And not the opposite. It's always good for a company to have a review. When it's a good one :)
Usually reviews are on one page, sometimes two pages. A three page review is quite rare in FM or CM.

More important than the ratings, that they set aside that much space in the magazine for it goes to show that they went into deep to try it out properly.
Another 3 page review of StiX in a German magazine.( and in German)
http://synmag.de/448/synmag-56/

Fazit ( Conclusion)

Positiv :
  • Synthese, Sampling und Sequencing in einem spezieller GrundKlang, auch bei Sample-Bearbeitung
    Interessante Sample-Library mit bekanntem und rarem material
    Guter Sequencer
    Innovative Bedienungshilfen und Kreativ-Tools
    Komplexe Synthesefunktionnen mit innovativen modulationsoptionen
    Übersichtlich vorkonfiguriertes multi-Out-Routing
Some negativ points by the reviewer, who made his test with early StiX versions :

No Midi Out ( Now added), no per sound EQ ( Now added), and 'Kleine bugs in der frühen version' ( Now fixed ) ...

So ... it seems one needs at least 3 pages to describe all you can do with StiX.

Another StiX review by Future Music issued a few days ago :

Some quotes :

'OUR VERDICT
If you love the sound of synthesized drums but like to humanise sound creation, this is one of the best drum machines out there.
FOR
Fantastic groove control and incredible polyrhythmic possibilities.
AGAINST
No numbering in the PolyStep Editor.

... As you feel your way into it there are plenty of sound and groove sculpting options which make it an instrument that you will return to over and over again ........
'

You can read the review here : 4 1/2 Stars on 5

LtZ

Numanoid wrote:Looks like StiX can be had with 20% rebate using code STIXCM until June 30th.
yes it's the CM code for CM readers, but everyone can use it on Xils-Lab site. makes StiX around 140€

Hi,

Would it be possible to add more than 12 Patterns to Stix Sequencer via a future Update ?

imho. 12 Patterns is OK (but kind of limiting), i.e. 24 Patterns would offer a lot more variety.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Agree completely. 24 would be far better.

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

Would it be possible to add more than 12 Patterns to Stix Sequencer via a future Update ?

imho. 12 Patterns is OK (but kind of limiting), i.e. 24 Patterns would offer a lot more variety.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
(And to Unqlenol)

Yes, I agree, 24 patterns would certainly be better, if we consider only this criteria ex abstracto. There are however a few other things to consider :

1/ These 12 additional patterns should be selectable on the GUI. Gui is not extensible. So this would mean probably one of two things, (unless we find something better) : Tabbed additional 'Pattern II' panel, or squares to select patterns half size on the GUI. None of these solutions are really appealling to me, especially the first that means that all 24 patterns will never be visible simultanesouly, and therefore selectable.

2/ These 12 additional patterns should also be selectable via the Midi Keyboard, like the 12 first ones. Wich means another octave (c4 range) dedicated to 'pattern changes' control via Midi for Live or recording sessions. There, it happens that I have at least two other ideas to make use of the remaining unused octaves to control StiX 'Live' ( One I'm sure will make people very happy). So here, it's a matter of choice.(as you can't add octaves endlessly on a physical keyboard )

Additionnaly, I'd like to underline some alternative methods to make very easily *patterns variations* with StiX. I'm almost sure you guys are aware of them, but just in case ... , or if anyone else is reading this :

1/ You can mute all individual sounds via Midi ( Via Midi KB, Octave C2). So you can make a 'busy' pattern, than gradually mute/unmute individual drum sounds, and build entire intros/outros/variations with this feature alone. I'd really recommand StiX owners to try at least once to play with this feature live, because it's very natural, fun, and rewarding in almost all cases

2/ You can make the exact opposite, ie write a pattern with a 'hole' in the 4rth or 3/4rth beat(s), and fill the space with notes directly played from the Midi Keyboard to trigger the different drums. Here gain, it's very rewarding to program such patterns, and to fill the holes Live while the track is playing for example.

By combining the two above methods, you can achieve even more variety, and build very subtle, dynamic/organic arrangements.

So, given all the above, if you guys decide that 12 patterns is definitely not enough, we'll try to find a solution for future versions, but I thought you should be aware of all the things that such a choice would imply.

Return to “Instruments”