Saturator plugin recommendation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MogwaiBoy wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:If you want something more aimed at mastering, this actually sounds pretty good.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... vsm-3.html

The only downside is the $300.00 price tag.
Not sure if it will go on sale or not.
I am often perplexed by the prices of some plugins. I can buy the latest blockbuster role playing game for Xbox for $100, which took multiple teams of hundreds of people working day and night over months or even years to develop - fully packaged and printed with glossy instruction manuals, maps, extra download content and distributed to my local shop at the bottom of the world.

Or.... I could buy a VSTi for $100 that was developed by one guy in his bedroom using Synthedit in his spare time, with no physical box candy whatsoever.

$300 for a digital distortion VST? *shrugs*

Sorry about the rant.
Considering such plugins often sell about a couple of thousand times, if lucky and if not only a couple of 100 times, $100 is not exactly very much. If you also consider that it probably takes a few years to develop the plugin, and to then maintain it, and fix things.

I would like to suggest a free saturation plugin: TNT! Comes with 2 flavours: 1 band or multi-band. Can´t beat that price! But its a 32 bit VST PC plugin only though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGRORub-kI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJgScUx3xxg

Cheers!

djscorb wrote:You won't find a more critical or discerning bunch than the guys on the mastering forum on Gearslutz when it comes to eq. Equilibrium is hands down the most popular eq with these guys, myself included.

I also know Dave personally and you'd be hard pushed to find a more knowledgable and helpful developer. He is fully justified in being proud of his work and is always quick to praise and recommend other great developers too. In particular, Sean Costello, Andy Simper and Mark Gallo to name just three off the top of my head.

Anyway, back on topic!
yeah it's out of topic, but i just don't like companies that lie for sell speech cause their aim is user who never worked with some of the best tools out there..but it's how it work..most companies does this. i have more respect for some guys that say, we don't nail it, but it s the best we can do with this technology and the cpu ressource of today..insteed of taking people for idiots.

and saying one plugin is the best modelled saturation dont make any sense..how he could know the way all the plugin are coded..if it s about sound i can tell you, this one can only dream about sounding and to react like great tube distortion when pushed a little,same for all the plugins out there
Last edited by Fred_Abstract on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:55 am, edited 11 times in total.

I sell VSM 3 if anyone is interested! Its, hands down, best saturation plugin on the market!!! I am replacing it with hw Elysia Karackter 500...hence the reason for a sale.

For those interested Vertigo VSM-3 is on Xmas sale today :

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/xmasc.html?door=4

@Mr Abstract

Ok mate wind your neck in.

You can't go around calling people liars when they make statements they believe in, especially in this case because Equilibrium can most definitely replace any eq (more so than any other single eq plug in). "Replace" doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% better in every case anyway.

And I said "most convincing" distortion algorithms, not "best" or indistinguishable from analog. I am sure he is going on sound, analysis and yeah, maybe even a bit of reverse engineering "guesswork". I was passing on a valued opinion from a private conversation, not a press release. Some here might value this info. You don't. Fine.

If YOU knew how he arrived at his opinion, YOU would be one of the world's top DSP gurus.

Regardless, you are throwing out negativity and attacking one of the good guys in a thinly veiled attempt to demonstrate to the community how great your ears are and that your opinion outweighs some of the world's top engineers and developers.

Does that make you cool, or come across as a bit of a whining pundit who still hasn't contributed a single useful or positive comment to the discussion?

Now go play with your Thermionic Culture Vulture and be happy.

Cheers

Scorb
Last edited by djscorb on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

vdhj wrote:For those interested Vertigo VSM-3 is on Xmas sale today :

This makes a much more attractive price! I would jump on it, but promised myself and the Mrs no more purchases until February haha!

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Meanwhile - if Dave G thinks something is worth checking out, I'll be checking it out... ;-)

(and I use Equilibrium on *every* track)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

HcDoom wrote:I sell VSM 3 if anyone is interested! Its, hands down, best saturation plugin on the market!!! I am replacing it with hw Elysia Karackter 500...hence the reason for a sale.
Good call, I am definitely interested in the new Karacter unit from Elysia but will wait for the rack unit :)

Twrogstudio wrote:
TheoM wrote:and it is official.. LSR audio BF sale..

Tube enhance for $29

bargain sale of the year. I highly recommend it to everyone. Cheers.

(check out their other stuff whilst there IMO too)

Damn he makes fine plugins.
Ditto! One of the best, and hugely underrated. :tu:
Found some time to sit on it and it doesn`t click with me.

Assuming sales between BF and Christmas,
can someone point me to an instrument or specific task where the unit shines ?
(in your opinion)

Tried it on the regular basics of a mix
and I want to remain open to give demo another shot.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

for me it's killer on synth bass and acoustic bass which is why i recommended it to the OP.. he wanted something for bass.

You can tune the saturation to just add this awesome presence and weight to the bass.

These things are not to be used everywhere.

I also love using overloud mark 2 on all types of bass but i don't use that and other plugins too lol.. i just use one tool for the job that sounds best in that mix and song.

I would never use the LSR one on a mix buss either by the way.

TheoM wrote:for me it's killer on synth bass and acoustic bass which is why i recommended it to the OP.. he wanted something for bass.

You can tune the saturation to just add this awesome presence and weight to the bass.

These things are not to be used everywhere.

I also love using overloud mark 2 on all types of bass but i don't use that and other plugins too lol.. i just use one tool for the job that sounds best in that mix and song.

I would never use the LSR one on a mix buss either by the way.
Ah yes, here we go, it was the "bass thing" :dog:
Thanks, will give a run again.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Mellow Muse SATV is also a little discussed gem.
Some links to glowing reviews on the product page

http://www.mellowmuse.com/SATV.html
Amazon: why not use an alternative

djscorb wrote:@Mr Abstract

Ok mate wind your neck in.

You can't go around calling people liars when they make statements they believe in, especially in this case because Equilibrium can most definitely replace any eq (more so than any other single eq plug in). "Replace" doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% better in every case anyway.

And I said "most convincing" distortion algorithms, not "best" or indistinguishable from analog. I am sure he is going on sound, analysis and yeah, maybe even a bit of reverse engineering "guesswork". I was passing on a valued opinion from a private conversation, not a press release. Some here might value this info. You don't. Fine.

If YOU knew how he arrived at his opinion, YOU would be one of the world's top DSP gurus.

Regardless, you are throwing out negativity and attacking one of the good guys in a thinly veiled attempt to demonstrate to the community how great your ears are and that your opinion outweighs some of the world's top engineers and developers.

Does that make you cool, or come across as a bit of a whining pundit who still hasn't contributed a single useful or positive comment to the discussion?

Now go play with your Thermionic Culture Vulture and be happy.

Cheers

Scorb

you sound hurted probably cause dave is your friend i can understand that but no need to be a asshole, you try to attack me, it dont work , i m not there to sound cool, i have used and own lot of hardware but use mostly software sorry..i m not a hardware or analog snob like you try to make me sound like.

it s not lying saying a static eq can replace all eqs?? how come someone could belive that is beyond me, what about transients, harmonics..it s clearly no in the topic anyway but it's just to reply to you..off course a developer know it s lying.. and these eveloper try to shut your mouth when you said them you are wrong for their sales.. i don tl ike this attidude i m not blind fan boys, thats all. anyway no need to make a big deal out of this ? look at your reply you have ego problems fanboy?

about the topic saying "most convincing" distortion algorithms don t make much sense too me too..i would like to know how to end to that conculsion it s probably intreseting, but the judge is always the ears..it s a good one but not better than any decent one to me in term of sound..
i think their is room for many saturators, these all sound different anyway, even something very digital sounding is usefull, to me there is clearly not one better, it all depends the situation and the sound after, all the praised one are decent at what they does..
Last edited by Fred_Abstract on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 12 times in total.

V0RT3X wrote:If you want something more aimed at mastering, this actually sounds pretty good.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... vsm-3.html

The only downside is the $300.00 price tag.
Not sure if it will go on sale or not.
Your lucky day ^^

Return to “Effects”