Waves 'An error has occurred while performing installation'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harry_HH wrote:
Andy Gone wrote:
UPD: the guy wrote a step-by-step procedure how to do clean uninstall:

http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/how-to-perf ... s-plugins/
Yeah, I think most of us have got that instruction. Since the 'new geneation' Waves plugins, i.e. Codex, Butch Vic, Greg Wells etc.), during the past 8 months, I've been forced to do this total cleaning about 6 times. So its not only the Waves Central, Waves has done many misstakes in their installation systems.
Someone may say its not a big deal - to me all that time is out of the more essential I should do, and thats not all, its very frustrating to see that one of the biggest and most experienced plugin developers can't handle fundamentals, in their customers costs.
It's not like it's not a big PITA having to re-install eveything with each new plugin added but some Waves plugins are currently essential for me so currently i try to accept this, also as there is a procedure to make the plugins work properly (at least for for me and in my main hosts that are Live and Cubase). Anyway i hope that Waves could solve this ASAP.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:
Andy Gone wrote:
UPD: the guy wrote a step-by-step procedure how to do clean uninstall:

http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/how-to-perf ... s-plugins/
Yeah, I think most of us have got that instruction. Since the 'new geneation' Waves plugins, i.e. Codex, Butch Vic, Greg Wells etc.), during the past 8 months, I've been forced to do this total cleaning about 6 times. So its not only the Waves Central, Waves has done many misstakes in their installation systems.
Someone may say its not a big deal - to me all that time is out of the more essential I should do, and thats not all, its very frustrating to see that one of the biggest and most experienced plugin developers can't handle fundamentals, in their customers costs.
It's not like it's not a big PITA having to re-install eveything with each new plugin added but some Waves plugins are currently essential for me so currently i try to accept this, also as there is a procedure to make the plugins work properly (at least for for me and in my main hosts that are Live and Cubase). Anyway i hope that Waves could solve this ASAP.
I'm sure they are working hard on it. Somehow I avoided any problem both with 'Butch Vic generation' and 'Waves Central' generation (I'm on Win7 with Cubase).
One specific thing that I did with Waves Central is that I created an offline installer and then installed it on the other machine (which is not online). Have no idea if this matters though.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

A necessary evil sometimes, to kill old tech, for the way forward. I get that.

I wish that the install processes would take better care of it though.

If total removal and reinstallation is necessary for proper operation, then that should be a pop up window telling you so, and it should be done as part of the installation process. I am aware of the potential conflicts since 9.2/9.3, and so I've just made this my process since then... but they can't expect everyone to know this, or anticipate this. It should be handled within their installer.

Honestly, how often are you adding new plugins? How often is Waves? It's not like you are doing this every day right?
I can do a full uninstall, and full reinstall, of Mercury and SoundGrid Studio in 15 minutes (including two reboots, one after uninstalls, and one after install of SGS)
Grated, I have 50mbps internet....

BUT, my point is.... nobody should be blindly installing anything in a mission critical environment without fully researching it first. If you do, shame on you, and deal with whatever issues you have without complaints, because, honestly, you shouldn't do that in a professional environment (meaning, a studio relying on revenue, relying on software). Period.

I can't believe how many people are installing, then finding plugins missing and wondering why. Then complaining. Nobody is reading release notes, compatibility charts, or pop up windows during installation. Reading nothing. Even during the install. Clicking ok to windows telling you that versions can't coexist. then wondering where plugins went. lol. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ANYONE HERE OR ON THIS PARTICULAR TOPIC, I know there are other issues as well.... just sayin, cause it's related, and sorta cracks me up. lol

Table Syrup Records wrote:A necessary evil sometimes, to kill old tech, for the way forward. I get that.
Hmmm...they must be careful that not killing the customerships as a tiny byproduct of this great evolution.
I know people who have at least retarded bying new Waves stuff because they are afraid that the Waves Central messes their old projects. The costs of delaying some critical project just a couple of days can be huge, in worst case.
And "killing the old tech" is something which happens in the digital world constantly, they can't 'stop the show' every time when launching new tech, if moving from the previous generation to the next one causes immoderate complications under one branch, the 'laws of evolution' guides development and species (clients) to the other direction, far from Waves...

Table Syrup Records wrote:A necessary evil sometimes, to kill old tech, for the way forward. I get that.

I wish that the install processes would take better care of it though.

If total removal and reinstallation is necessary for proper operation, then that should be a pop up window telling you so, and it should be done as part of the installation process. I am aware of the potential conflicts since 9.2/9.3, and so I've just made this my process since then... but they can't expect everyone to know this, or anticipate this. It should be handled within their installer.

Honestly, how often are you adding new plugins? How often is Waves? It's not like you are doing this every day right?
I can do a full uninstall, and full reinstall, of Mercury and SoundGrid Studio in 15 minutes (including two reboots, one after uninstalls, and one after install of SGS)
Grated, I have 50mbps internet....

BUT, my point is.... nobody should be blindly installing anything in a mission critical environment without fully researching it first. If you do, shame on you, and deal with whatever issues you have without complaints, because, honestly, you shouldn't do that in a professional environment (meaning, a studio relying on revenue, relying on software). Period.

I can't believe how many people are installing, then finding plugins missing and wondering why. Then complaining. Nobody is reading release notes, compatibility charts, or pop up windows during installation. Reading nothing. Even during the install. Clicking ok to windows telling you that versions can't coexist. then wondering where plugins went. lol. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ANYONE HERE OR ON THIS PARTICULAR TOPIC, I know there are other issues as well.... just sayin, cause it's related, and sorta cracks me up. lol

This is somewhat a radical statement. You would have a valid point if this was a discussion about updating to the free Win10 upgrade, then complaining about all sorts of issues. Waves-central isn't something that's optional since it's needed for license management. Also, older versions are de-activated and you must use the updated versions, so what's to research first? You can't research un-known issues and we're not talking about a 3rd party program that wasn't released by Waves!

In MS-Windows, when the Waves installer is insisting that it be updated by downloading and installing the latest Waves installer from the Waves website, how is one able to move his/her plug-in licenses back to the cloud?

The modal dialog box that pops up with the update notification message paralyzes the installer and prevents any further usage of the Waves installer application. Clicking to dismiss the dialog box simply exits the Waves installer application.

From what I have personally experienced, the user is forced to browse to the Waves web site and download and install the new version of Waves Central for MS-Windows. :shrug:

EDIT: Are you folks disconnected from the internet before you run the Waves installer, so that the Waves installer cannot "call home" to check to see if there is a newer version of the installer?
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Did not try this myself, but does WLC (the old center) allow you to move licenses to the cloud?

Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

^ Waves won't let one use the old version. When you click on it, it says to download the new version. At least it did on my W7 computer.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:^ Waves won't let one use the old version. When you click on it, it says to download the new version. At least it did on my W7 computer.
I experienced the same situation as Aloysius on my Windows 10 x64 PC. Once the Waves installer (either Waves License Center or Waves Central) knows that there is a newer version of the installer, it won't let you use your installed version and you are forced to download and install the latest version.

I had previously considered jumping through a few hoops to trick the Waves installer into forgetting that it knows about a newer version of the installer being available and then running my currently installed version of the Waves installer while my PC is disconnected from the internet; this strategy, of course, is pointless, since the Windows PC must be connected to the internet in order to transfer the locally installed licenses from the PC to the Waves License Cloud. :dog:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Do you guys have third party antivirus or firewall? I think there is something going wrong during the installation.

Waves plugins even worked in my PC after a major update for windows 10 yesterday! I was surprised that I didn't need to do anything. They just work! While KLC synths needed reactivations!

For those, especially Win 8.1/Live 9.5 users who have managed to get the DAW recognized Waves Center installed plugins:
When during in installation process Waves Center asks the DAW vst folder where to install? I have not found this option, the old Waves shell asked the vst folder, so do 100 % of all 400 plugins I've installed. How can the DAW recognize plugins if theres no vst folder adress during the installation, nor any sign of Waves in the DAW vst folfer after the installation???

It took me a while to figure out where to point Ableton to the ''WaveShell-VST 9.3 Location'' on start-up scan. "C:\Waves\Plug-Ins V9".
To quote myself from the previous page, perhaps this is in the area you should be looking.

I'm on W7 64bit but use Ableton Live 9.5 32bit. Gone back to V9r30. Licensed through the new pos from waves. :)

Aloysius wrote:
It took me a while to figure out where to point Ableton to the ''WaveShell-VST 9.3 Location'' on start-up scan. "C:\Waves\Plug-Ins V9".
To quote myself from the previous page, perhaps this is in the area you should be looking.

I'm on W7 64bit but use Ableton Live 9.5 32bit. Gone back to V9r30. Licensed through the new pos from waves. :)
No, its not there, haven't located it yet.
Did I got you right, you have not the Waves Center in use?

All my Live plugin vst are so far found in the Live vst folder. Am I (and all the 234561 other Waves users) supposed tho direct Live (preferecies) to this Waves folder you mention? - and if so, where's that instructed in the Waves Center support site, I'd say this a rather essential detail.

I explained everything on the previous page to this.

I came up with the above solution all by myself. I can't speak for Waves Audio in any capacity as I am not employed by them.

Aloysius wrote:I explained everything on the previous page to this.

I came up with the above solution all by myself. I can't speak for Waves Audio in any capacity as I am not employed by them.
Yes, I did read that. But I got the picture that you, after all, managed run plugins installed via the Waves Central, although some of those crashed your computer.
If and when the Waves Central install the shells/plugins to different locations than the Live´s vst folder is, I have to set a new folder location in the Live preferencies - haven´t tried to use "create a shortcut" to the Waveshell separate location in the Live, yet, this will be the new move.

I noticed that there are several Waveshells in different locations.

I think that the Waves instrucions have been inadequate, to put nicely.
The location of the shells/plugins and how the Waves Central install these these is the MOST essential information, wihtout that at least Live/Win 8 won´t work - and Waves doesn´t give ANY information of that in their support pages. Waves = waste of customers time.

Return to “Instruments”