Waves 'An error has occurred while performing installation'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nickamandote wrote:thinking about buying the gold bundle but why does it have to be so complicate? for other developers i pay download the software and use it forever.. i think waves should consider changing their wup policy in the future anyway because i see many people don't like it
Waves (as well as some other developers) are afraid that the buying growds (who sometimes are called clients or customers, too) are not busy enough with their core projects, i.e. writing, playing and producing music. Therefore they are kind enough and organize things in the way, that installing, authorizing, troubleshooting and all other types of hussling with the computer keep us waken, and as its best takes 20-30 % of our total time we can use for this hobby/profession.
And remember, Waves won't change their practicies unless there is a absolute must - they are always right, and the don't admit anything, if they say sometimes some kind word to you, it doesn't mean anything, they just want to keep you quiet, for some time. (But have to say, when you get their software in use, they are pretty good, which is the reason people - even those who are not masokists, keep using/trying to use, their stuff.)

Waves, friendly little tip: Don't use F*%$ing installers for your plugins. thank me later.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

tonedef71 wrote:
pc2000 wrote:If everyone did the same, we could likely get a clearer understanding of what may be happening, by comparing logs to see if they differ.
From my Windows 10 x64 system's Event Viewer log:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\Waves Central.exe".

Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release.MANIFEST" on line 8.

Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested.

Reference is WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release,
processorArchitecture="AMD64",
type="win32",
version="1.0.0.0".

Definition is WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release,
processorArchitecture="x86",
type="win32",
version="1.0.0.0".

Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 35
Task Category: None
EDIT: Here are the contents of that C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release.MANIFEST file:

Code: Select all

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<noInheritable/>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release" version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86"/>
<file name="Qt5Core.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Gui.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Xml.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Network.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5WebKit.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Multimedia.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5MultimediaWidgets.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Sql.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Widgets.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5WebKitWidgets.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5OpenGL.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5PrintSupport.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Quick.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Qml.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5V8.dll"/>
<file name="libGLESv2.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Sensors.dll"/>
<file name="libEGL.dll"/>
</assembly>
Thanks for taking the time to post these logs. I previously pointed tech support to this thread and got a generic response about people having different systems and my issue could be un-related. The complaints have since grown. I Intend to re-direct support to this thread, which will hopefully contain more logs for Waves to see that this is a common issue that produces seemingly the same error logs on different win versions. I have win7-64bit, while you're on win10 with the same exact error log.

I noticed during waves-central installation... that it seems to use the- MS Visual C++2005 Redistributable. With this being such an old version, maybe this is the root cause. I also noticed other programs installing the 2005 versions, and that I see in the windows un-installer list_ (4) different x86 versions and (4) x64 versions. They're all different file sizes.

I would encourage anyone interested in getting this issue resolved, contribute by sending your logs to tech support, since waves central doesn't seem to produce it's own error log for you to send them. That's real helpful for the app to just say an error occurred!

I wrote to Waves on the 1st to ask them what the best approach to this update would be in my specific case. They haven't replied yet. Probably busy. Probably still busy. I decided to go ahead with things myself today.

A few of the newer version plugs (installed via Waves Central) were crashing my DAW and all of the desktop shortcuts to stand-alone waves VSTs were missing. Element, GTR and GTR 3.5. All of these have always needed a right click to run as Admin to work properly on my system as VST and VSTi, even though I have UAC turned off on Windows 7.

I've used Waves Central to get my Licenses updated after some recent Black Friday purchases. I've now uninstalled all plugins installed via Waves Central. Luckily I still have Waves_Complete_V9r30. I installed all of my purchased waves plugins via that. It took me a while to figure out where to point Ableton to the ''WaveShell-VST 9.3 Location'' on start-up scan. "C:\Waves\Plug-Ins V9".

Finally I have everything working. It took me a good part of the day. I don't think I'll buy any more Waves Plugins, unless I get a new computer. Too much f*ckin' around for my liking.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Central has been solid for me. (Mac)

Regardless... here is what I have done to avoid issues, ever since the whole Waveshell version Co-Existing issues started (When we say versions that wiped out previous versions of waveshells)

1) Move licenses to the cloud [if possible]
2) Use the Waves Uninstaller to uninstall EVERYTHING
3) Manually go remove remnants of Preferences and Caches

[Finder>GO>ALT>library/preferences/waves stuff]
[Finder>GO>ALT>library/caches/waves stuff]

4) Reboot for good measure
5) Reinstall Waves Central
6) Re-intsall Plugins
7) Move Licenses back to machine

Granted, I have fast internet (50 mbps), but I can do a full uninstall and reinstall, of Mercury, and SoundGrid Studio, in about 15 minutes.

Not a real big deal for me.

I've been doing this, since we saw the co-exist issue, where installing even a single plugin with the new waveshell version would kill all your older versions (This started with, what? 9.2? 9.3? I think 9.3?)

At any rate, what I do is what I listed. Full purge. I just kill everything off and reinstall.

Doing it this way, I have all plugs to latest versions, and I've avoided any issues.

Knock on wood.

I really am in disbelief and confused as to why more developers don't adapt a kv331 type model. Just tie the license to the download so that the costumer simply downloads his or her individual copy of the software. That way if something goes wild (it will) at least you know where it comes from. Seems simpler on everyone and it's got to easier than devoting half your resources to a license manager.

I've got the plugs working after moving the licenses to the cloud and uninstalling them, then restart the pc, install, moving back the licences to HD then restart OS.

I also tried to move the licenses to the usb thumb drive and it works. BUT, it's working with Studio One while in Reaper, still Codex crashes it. I think it's related to VST3 with Reaper sometimes.

I'll try today with my laptop and see using the usb drive as a licenses source.

Are the plugs only vst3? No vst2? I haven't checked really if there are vst2 versions also?

Dear Valued Waves User,

Due to the overwhelming response to our recent Black Friday specials and free plugin offer, we’ve received tech support requests in massive quantities over the past few days.

We apologize for the delay and would like to assure you that we will respond to your request in detail as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

The Waves Team
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Dasheesh wrote:I really am in disbelief and confused as to why more developers don't adapt a kv331 type model. Just tie the license to the download so that the costumer simply downloads his or her individual copy of the software. That way if something goes wild (it will) at least you know where it comes from. Seems simpler on everyone and it's got to easier than devoting half your resources to a license manager.
Yup!

Embed the license authorisation inside the download and make it as seamless and painless as possible for the customer.

If piracy is a huge problem for Waves, then maybe their prices are a bit high to begin with - just a thought...

It is working for me :)

I didn't have to uninstall or remove anything. Just installed the new Waves Central in the laptop and then chose the plugs to be installed. I already inserted the usb thumb, and then restarted the laptop (I think this is the most important step!), then everything worked perfectly in S1v3 in the laptop. I then checked if it is still working in the desktop (after inserting the usb thumb drive), and it is also working without a problem in S1v3 (both win 10 64bit).

So, I moved Waves from the Grey list to the white list now :tu:

Yeah I have an issue too, unrelated to Central the installations.

I'm supposed to remote link with this guy called Dotan. Well that was the original plan. At the time I was too busy, but now it would seem they are too busy post all the Black Friday sales. They are usually quite expedient in my past experiences.

For those of you who can, patience will be a virtue in this instance, I can almost guarantee it. For those of you who can't wait, theres lots of solutions floating around here and on other forums.

I'll have a gander and see if there's anything I can help with, time allowing. I might ask around a bit too.

Hang tight guys.
Last edited by simon.a.billington on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote: Are the plugs only vst3? No vst2? I haven't checked really if there are vst2 versions also?
should be both vst3 and vst2 (and both x86 and x64) - I've seen reaper fail to list the vst3 version in the fx browser (despite me being able to see them in it's .ini file) which seemed to be a conflict between the vst2/x86 version and vst3/x64 (if I excluded scanning the 32-bit vst directory it'd list the vst3 correctly, presumably an name+id conflict), could be something similar with you not seeing vst2

unfortunately the way reaper handles the scanning of vst 'shells' like waves use means it doesn't pick up when changes have been made within the shell (like adding or remove a plugin) - you either need to manually edit the vstplugins.ini file, or force a full vst re-scan

jdnz wrote:
EnGee wrote: Are the plugs only vst3? No vst2? I haven't checked really if there are vst2 versions also?
should be both vst3 and vst2 (and both x86 and x64) - I've seen reaper fail to list the vst3 version in the fx browser (despite me being able to see them in it's .ini file) which seemed to be a conflict between the vst2/x86 version and vst3/x64 (if I excluded scanning the 32-bit vst directory it'd list the vst3 correctly, presumably an name+id conflict), could be something similar with you not seeing vst2

unfortunately the way reaper handles the scanning of vst 'shells' like waves use means it doesn't pick up when changes have been made within the shell (like adding or remove a plugin) - you either need to manually edit the vstplugins.ini file, or force a full vst re-scan
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I can see both the VST3 and VST2 in Reaper. Surprisingly, Codex is not crashing Reaper now anymore! The only thing has changed is the place of the usb dirve that hold the license (now I plug it in the fornt ports of the Case). The only problem now is that H-EQ is not listed in Reaper (but it is working in Studio One). Maybe with next restart of the PC :hihi:

Overall, I'm satisfied with Waves and I might buy more from them :)

It really looks like their tech support is overwhelmed. I've seen many people receiving answers with apologies that they have too many requests and will come back ASAP.

It seems like Waves Central sometimes cannot clean the system properly from old version and this makes a conflict. I just uninstalled all Waves via windows control panel before even installing Waves Central, and it worked well.

UPD: the guy wrote a step-by-step procedure how to do clean uninstall:

http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/how-to-perf ... s-plugins/
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote:
UPD: the guy wrote a step-by-step procedure how to do clean uninstall:

http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/how-to-perf ... s-plugins/
Yeah, I think most of us have got that instruction. Since the 'new geneation' Waves plugins, i.e. Codex, Butch Vic, Greg Wells etc.), during the past 8 months, I've been forced to do this total cleaning about 6 times. So its not only the Waves Central, Waves has done many misstakes in their installation systems.
Someone may say its not a big deal - to me all that time is out of the more essential I should do, and thats not all, its very frustrating to see that one of the biggest and most experienced plugin developers can't handle fundamentals, in their customers costs.

Return to “Instruments”