Waves 'An error has occurred while performing installation'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That gives more peace of mind if they are registered to your account rather than stored on a physical drive or file.

Softube gave away a free Saturation Knob plugin, but you basically had to install their entire suite in every format at the same time - bloating the download considerably. The lengths some of these companies go to is startling. I roll my eyes sometimes that a 1 megabyte music plugin has to show up as an actual application in my Windows Programs lists/registry/start-up etc etc.

I'm considering the Waves Gold bundle, which is at a stupid low price right now.

However, I notice that all the v.9 plugs state Intel procs, whereas the v.8 (and lower/older) also state AMD-64. AND you can't "downgrade" to an older version, so I am hesitant, as I run AMD Phenom II X4 965 Blacks on three production machines, and only have one Intel i3 2.40 Ghz, that's in my Toshiba laptop ().

Do they still work with AMD procs?

thanks
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:I'm considering the Waves Gold bundle, which is at a stupid low price right now.

However, I notice that all the v.9 plugs state Intel procs, whereas the v.8 (and lower/older) also state AMD-64. AND you can't "downgrade" to an older version, so I am hesitant, as I run AMD Phenom II X4 965 Blacks on three production machines, and only have one Intel i3 2.40 Ghz, that's in my Toshiba laptop ().

thanks
I would expect that the Windows versions of Wave plugins will work on any AMD-64 processor, as I seriously doubt any Intel-specific chipset features are being utilized. Even then, I have seen software that has been optimized for Intel hardware still run on an AMD processor (it may run less efficiently since it won't be able to benefit from the Intel-specific optimizations which are usually bus and cache related).
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:I'm considering the Waves Gold bundle, which is at a stupid low price right now.

thanks
I would expect that the Windows versions of Wave plugins will work on any AMD-64 processor, as I seriously doubt any Intel-specific chipset features are being utilized. Even then, I have seen software that has been optimized for Intel hardware still run on an AMD processor (it may run less efficiently since it won't be able to benefit from the Intel-specific optimizations which are usually bus and cache related).
Thanks, that what I am assuming, as well. I get a touch nervous when I do not see it listed. DL'd the gold bundle and can't load it. Waves Central issues... {sigh} I have never had a Waves product, so it is all a fresh experience. yippy.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Ingonator wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote: Just to be absolutely sure: I don't lose my licenses if I uninstall the plugins/Waves Central and reinstall?
No, for that you would have to send your licenses to the Cloud with the dedicated feature in Waves Central but then they would still not be "lost".
Update: I got my Waves plugins all showing up in the FL Studio plugin search and all are working!

Here's a step-by-step of the method that worked for me - it can be done entirely inside Waves Central:

Note: First, shut down your DAW host.

Step One: Send Your Licenses to the Cloud
- Open the Waves Central application and login
- Click Manage Licenses
- 1. Select Source: Click where your licenses are currently held (OS in my case)
- 2. Select products: Tick all of the checkboxes on the Waves plugins listed as we will deal with them all at the same time, whether they are showing up in your host or not
- 3. Send Licenses to: select My License Cloud
- Click the big SEND LICENSES button in the bottom corner

Step 2: Remove currently installed Waves plugins through Waves Central
- Click the Install dropdown at the top and select Uninstall
- Select products to uninstall: tick the checkbox "All Waves Plugins V9"
- Click the big UNINSTALL button in the bottom corner
- If want to you you can open your DAW host in the background and do a plugin search to see if the Waves plugins are not showing up. Then close the DAW after and come back to Waves Central.

Step 3: Reinstall the plugins
- Click the Install dropdown at the top and select Install
- 1. Install from: Select Online
- 2. Choose products to install - manually click each plugin in the middle panel, which transfers it to the right panel
- Click the big INSTALL button in the bottom corner
- (In my case it froze/hung for about 5-10 minutes at this point, something about '1 process in parallel' or something... - just be patient...)
- Successfull? Hope so...

Step 4: Move the licenses from the Cloud back to your device
- Click the Licenses dropdown at the top and select Manage Licenses
- 1. Select source: Select My License Cloud
- 2. Select products: tick Select all
- 3. Send licenses to: select device (in my case it's Operating System or OS)
- Click the big SEND LICENSES button in the bottom corner

Done!

Open your DAW host and run a plugin scan - hopefully they show up and work properly like they did for me.

This process might have to be repeated everytime you get/buy a new Waves plugin. Thanks Ingonator for the heads up!

MogwaiBoy wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
MogwaiBoy wrote: Just to be absolutely sure: I don't lose my licenses if I uninstall the plugins/Waves Central and reinstall?
No, for that you would have to send your licenses to the Cloud with the dedicated feature in Waves Central but then they would still not be "lost".
Update: I got my Waves plugins all showing up in the FL Studio plugin search and all are working!

Here's a step-by-step of the method that worked for me - it can be done entirely inside Waves Central:

Note: First, shut down your DAW host.

Step One: Send Your Licenses to the Cloud
Not sure if it is really needed sending the licenses to the Cloud and back. My own procedure worked without that.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Earlier this year I bought a single new Waves plug. I can't recall all the steps I took, but basically I followed all instructions to run WOLI and that other app, followed the prompts, it reported all was successful; but then when I launched my DAW after a reboot and rescan, about half my plugs (maybe 10) were nowhere to be found. Searched the file system -- the relevant files were gone.

Called Waves, and to their credit, they took remote control and got to the bottom of things. But

a) it took around 40 minutes, and involved so many steps, some of them deep within Windows where I never go, making me wonder, WTF, does this have to be so complex?

b) I got my plugs back, but their settings in existing projects were wiped -- all presets were Init. Including some painstakingly crafted EQ curves, effects combos... It didn't matter that I had saved settings as presets -- all wre wiped. I simply had no idea where to begin to reach where I'd been. Took me many hours to remix the projects.

I love some of the Waves plugs when they work. They seem to be stable now, but reading things like this thread, about a new installation method which is throwing everyone for a loop, makes me unwilling to chance the installation of any new Waves plug, even an upgrade or a freebie, like that "one knob pumper" from last year.

They just seem comically unable to sort out basic installation stuff which so many other companies manage. So, in addition to taking screenshots of Waves plug settings in case I ever lose them again, my only other adaptation strategy is just never to buy any more Waves stuff. I think they are great, but I have enough anyway, and what I don't know I'm missing won't bother me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Ingonator wrote:[
Not sure if it is really needed sending the licenses to the Cloud and back. My own procedure worked without that.
As I already mentioned in another thread: Sending the licenses to the cloud may not be necessary, but is definitely a precautionary measure to avoid losing the licenses in the "Nirvana" of your system and having to recover them. So in short, moving the licenses to the cloud is better, just to make sure. Should your licenses get "lost", you'll be running into serious, time-consuming problems.

lingyai wrote: They just seem comically unable to sort out basic installation stuff which so many other companies manage. So, in addition to taking screenshots of Waves plug settings in case I ever lose them again, my only other adaptation strategy is just never to buy any more Waves stuff. I think they are great, but I have enough anyway, and what I don't know I'm missing won't bother me.
That's the cruel irony of Waves anti-piracy policies. Because make no mistake, crackers are going to warez their pluggies no matter what security measures they take. So losing ACTUAL customers due to their needlessly unstable installation and activation processes.. should be a serious wake-up call for Waves. We live in hope...

I still haven't resolved the issues with Waves-central. I followed the advice of tech support which mirrors what many have said they've done to get their plugs installed. The error message still occurs. I even directed the tech guy to this thread, and he replied that people have different issues on their system (Duh) and that my issue may be UN-related. Yet, the list of users having errors are growing.

If you go into administrators tools and use the event viewer app, you will see what error is documented for waves central. This is where I got the info I posted in this thread earlier. If everyone did the same, we could likely get a clearer understanding of what may be happening, by comparing logs to see if they differ. Everyone needs to contact support about this issue and not just deal with workarounds. Waves central is flawed and needs to be fixed already.

Skorpius wrote:
Ingonator wrote:[
As I already mentioned in another thread: Sending the licenses to the cloud may not be necessary, but is definitely a precautionary measure to avoid losing the licenses in the "Nirvana" of your system and having to recover them. So in short, moving the licenses to the cloud is better, just to make sure. Should your licenses get "lost", you'll be running into serious, time-consuming problems.
If your licenses get lost, which is very unlikely when deinstalling/re-installing plugins, you got the "Recover Licenses" feature in Waves Central. This works as long as your licenses are registered to your Waves account.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

pc2000 wrote:If everyone did the same, we could likely get a clearer understanding of what may be happening, by comparing logs to see if they differ.
From my Windows 10 x64 system's Event Viewer log:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\Waves Central.exe".

Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release.MANIFEST" on line 8.

Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested.

Reference is WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release,
processorArchitecture="AMD64",
type="win32",
version="1.0.0.0".

Definition is WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release,
processorArchitecture="x86",
type="win32",
version="1.0.0.0".

Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 35
Task Category: None
EDIT: Here are the contents of that C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Applications\Waves Central\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release\WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release.MANIFEST file:

Code: Select all

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<noInheritable/>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="WavesQtLibs_5.1.1_Win32_Release" version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="x86"/>
<file name="Qt5Core.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Gui.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Xml.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Network.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5WebKit.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Multimedia.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5MultimediaWidgets.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Sql.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Widgets.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5WebKitWidgets.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5OpenGL.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5PrintSupport.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Quick.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Qml.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5V8.dll"/>
<file name="libGLESv2.dll"/>
<file name="Qt5Sensors.dll"/>
<file name="libEGL.dll"/>
</assembly>
Last edited by tonedef71 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank God for Freeware...and Payware developers who respect their paying customers. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

thinking about buying the gold bundle but why does it have to be so complicate? for other developers i pay download the software and use it forever.. i think waves should consider changing their wup policy in the future anyway because i see many people don't like it

nickamandote wrote: for other developers i pay download the software and use it forever.. i think waves should consider changing their wup policy in the future anyway because i see many people don't like it
Not that i really like it very much but WUP should be only needed when Waves releases v10 of the plugins (currently v9) or if you want to sell plugins (or a bundle). You could buy WUP at the time you need it, there is no need to buy it if until you really need it. Updates done while Waves is at v9 could be installed while WUP is timed out. If you really feel the need for it you could buy it at any time you like.

Not sure how the upgrade to Element v2.0 will work for v1 users when it's released. Someone in another thread mentioned it will be maybe free as long as your WUP for Element v1 is valid.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”