Tritik releases Moodal

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Moodal

Audio demos now available, in case some of you guys missed the dev's reply: (but I suggest you to really try the demo, it can do much much more than these few examples)
tritik wrote:Thanks you all for your comments! :)

It's really nice to hear what you think about Moodal and get your feedback!
camsr wrote:I think I've found an unintended bug in the modal density curve function. Setting one of the points to the very minimum (left and down) and another to the very right (and at any level), and then adjusting the level of the right point, seems to make no change in the modal density plot, or rather the density isn't following the curve at these extremes.
Thanks for reporting it! I'll fix that for the next release.

Tritik now has a soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tritikaudio/sets

There's no many sounds for now, but more will be added soon!

Anyone else having problems with this. At first I wasn't sure if there was a problem or it just sounded terrible, but after hearing the demos I know something is wrong. I just hear bouncing string sound no matter what preset I use. In the audio demos I hear, reverbs, metal sounds and string sounds. I don't know what's going on but on my system it doesn't sound anything like that. I tried it in Sonar 2015 and IL minihost modular. The same problem occurs in both.

edit I just did some more testing and found out the problem seems to be with 44.1khz. At 48khz it works correctly, but there seems to be a sample rate problem with 44.1khz. I hope this gets fixed soon because after playing with a bit I really like it and I think this would be useful. I'll happily pick this up once the bug is fixed.

tritik wrote: but you're right, that's mainly why there's no promises: we got to look not only at what users would like, but also at some architecture aspects and see what is possible, and what you guys can accept in term of cpu usage :)
Why is this even considered a limiting factor.. I'm so saddened that plugins consistently sound compromised to lower CPU usage, speaking generally.

Is it possible to implement the option to unlock features that don't have to be optimized (read: sound worse)?

Even if I could only fit one Moodal with modulation "enabled" in a project, I'd be happy because the plugin would serve sound design purposes. Then if I want the simpler edition for ambiance I'd just turn modulation off?

Reece's Pieces wrote:
tritik wrote: but you're right, that's mainly why there's no promises: we got to look not only at what users would like, but also at some architecture aspects and see what is possible, and what you guys can accept in term of cpu usage :)
Why is this even considered a limiting factor.. I'm so saddened that plugins consistently sound compromised to lower CPU usage, speaking generally.

Is it possible to implement the option to unlock features that don't have to be optimized (read: sound worse)?

Even if I could only fit one Moodal with modulation "enabled" in a project, I'd be happy because the plugin would serve sound design purposes. Then if I want the simpler edition for ambiance I'd just turn modulation off?
Good point. 2C Kaleidoscope can be horrendously CPU intensive in certain situations, but you can easily optimize it whenever you want. It's okay if modulation takes a tole on CPU. Sometimes I tolerate high CPU load for the sake of deep sound design projects. I'd like to be able to modulate the "Inharmonicity" parameter for sure :)

Chandlerhimself wrote:I just did some more testing and found out the problem seems to be with 44.1khz. At 48khz it works correctly, but there seems to be a sample rate problem with 44.1khz. I hope this gets fixed soon because after playing with a bit I really like it and I think this would be useful. I'll happily pick this up once the bug is fixed.
That bug you have is a combination of different factors actually : I personally use it at 44.1k most of the time.
But I just fixed something related, so I'm going to PM you so that you test a new version!

This thing sounds wicked on dubstep bass! I've actually been adding it very subtly to a few channels in a new track and i'm quite pleased with the results, guess i'll have to buy it now. :)

One thing i've noticed though, under the main Spectral Constraint circle, it says f0. It seems like this should be the note corresponding to the frequency above but it doesn't change. Is this a bug or am i just getting confused? (Win 64-bit)

mutantdog wrote:This thing sounds wicked on dubstep bass! I've actually been adding it very subtly to a few channels in a new track and i'm quite pleased with the results, guess i'll have to buy it now. :)

One thing i've noticed though, under the main Spectral Constraint circle, it says f0. It seems like this should be the note corresponding to the frequency above but it doesn't change. Is this a bug or am i just getting confused? (Win 64-bit)
thanks! :)

about f0 :
oh.. I haven't think about that, but yes, that can be confusing! :)
so 'f0' is not the name of the note here, but the name of the knob! 'f0' is just a short way of saying "fundamental frequency" here.

I will give it some thought, and may rework that control so that one can set it either in Hz, either by the note name.

Ah yes, now that you mention it, that makes sense. I'm not sure its very obvious but maybe i'm just being thick! It would definitely be handy to have some kind of note value indicator here in addition to the frequency though.

Based on previous comments i can see why the modulation options may be difficult to implement, perhaps a suitable alternative would be some kind of simple chorus-like pitch modulation at the end of the wet signal. As a substitute for an envelope follower a simple compressor with a ducking feature might work also. I know these won't be quite the same as those requested but it may be enough to add some sort of movement. Just a thought. :)

mutantdog wrote:Ah yes, now that you mention it, that makes sense. I'm not sure its very obvious but maybe i'm just being thick! It would definitely be handy to have some kind of note value indicator here in addition to the frequency though.

Based on previous comments i can see why the modulation options may be difficult to implement, perhaps a suitable alternative would be some kind of simple chorus-like pitch modulation at the end of the wet signal. As a substitute for an envelope follower a simple compressor with a ducking feature might work also. I know these won't be quite the same as those requested but it may be enough to add some sort of movement. Just a thought. :)
Any modulation occurring after the modal engine is something you could do with an external effect plugin after the fact. If you're going to bother implementing any modulation at all within Moodal, it should definitely have an effect on the resonators. Otherwise, it would just be something we could do with a chorus/flanger/phaser/ring modulation/frequency shifter effect later on in the effect rack.

I say go for it, even if it becomes enormously CPU intensive, and just fish out the bugs along the way. LOL, easier said than done for sure :lol:

I said this before but I'll say it again: If there's any parameter that's crying out for modulation, it would definately have to be the "Inharmonicity" slider. Also, the "Relaxation" parameter would be great too. Of course, these would be the most difficult to set up modulation for, but if you're going to bother with modulation, you might as well roll up your sleeves and dig into those parameters because that's probably where most of the heavy lifting will be done. But just imagine what this plugin could be with just those two parameters modulated. An affordable alternative to Kaleidoscope!

^ That being said, I'm as happy as a clown with what Moodal already is :)

Moodal has been updated to v1.0.1.
This updates fixes a few bugs, notably the one within FL studio mentioned above.

stardustmedia wrote: [..]First thing I noticed, where I'd really like to see a change: Filter bar. It should be possible to grab the bar itself and move both filter points at once[..]
A small tip about that : if you press the shift key while dragging a knob of the filter bar, then both points will move at the same time while keeping the same filtering range (in Hz).

Another tip, about the curves : several points can be selected and dragged at the same time. Press the 'shift' key while clicking a point to add/remove it from the selection. Right-clicking on a curve opens a context menu with a few options (select all, unselect all, clear..)

v1.0.2 has been released earlier today, bringing a few fixes and the possibility to link dry & wet gains.
You can download it here

also, there are 3 licenses to bid on in the fundraising for Save the Children

Great, thanks for the update.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

little video where i'm plying with it

https://youtu.be/98c0OBiKCxA

Return to “Effects”