What is the good "affordable" vst synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, OP again- really appreciate all of the posts.

Another bit of question, how is Synthmaster differs from Zebra? I'm assuming they are both modular synth, but touching the surface with demos I can't quite tell the difference between other than the price tag. How is the CPU usage? If the price were the same- let's say about $170 both- which would you choose?

Shiosan wrote:Hey guys, OP again- really appreciate all of the posts.

Another bit of question, how is Synthmaster differs from Zebra? I'm assuming they are both modular synth, but touching the surface with demos I can't quite tell the difference between other than the price tag. How is the CPU usage? If the price were the same- let's say about $170 both- which would you choose?
Actually, to be technically accurate, Synthmaster is fixed architecture and Zebra 2 is semi modular. I know lots of people are going to give me hell for that, but it is. True Modular is something like MUX where you can virtually plug as many modules together as your CPU can handle whereas Zebra 2 has a limit.

Zebra 2's CPU usage is higher than Synthmaster's.

If the price were the same, I probably would not have bought Synthmaster. Zebra 2, at $200, is such a great synth that I bought it at that price. Synthmaster, while worth a lot more than what it normally sells for, I don't think is quite a $200 synth. Not yet.

Maybe check out Xhun Audio's LittleOne? At 45€ you get a very high quality sound for the money.
A well-behaved signature.

wagtunes wrote: Actually, to be technically accurate, Synthmaster is fixed architecture and Zebra 2 is semi modular. I know lots of people are going to give me hell for that, but it is. True Modular is something like MUX where you can virtually plug as many modules together as your CPU can handle whereas Zebra 2 has a limit.
It is not entirely "fixed" architecture because you can use the modulators for

1. modulating phase of other modulators/oscillators (self modulation IS possible). This would let one create many different DX7 algorithms.
2. modulating frequency of other modulators/oscillators
3. multiplying its output with an oscillator(ring/amplitude modulation)
4. adding its output to an oscillators (so you can use it as a separate oscillator/suboscillator)
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Shiosan wrote:Hey guys, OP again- really appreciate all of the posts.

Without question I would choose Zebra... It is (IMO) the best 'pure' software synth you can buy. By pure I mean synthesis, not sample based.

It is incredibly diverse and flexible, lovely sounding, has a well conceived GUI, very well supported, forward thinking, reliable, great developer and community, tons of presets both free and commercial. It needs only a serial number, and is the best synth purchase value I ever made.

It is now nearing 10 years since I purchased the pre-release of Zebra 2 when it was in beta and there has been a remarkable amount of improvement and development over that time and it has not cost me a penny in upgrade costs. If you looked at the range of new features and improvements in that time, it could easily have been 3 major paid upgrades and be called Zebra 4 or 5 now.

Plenty of other synths have arrived with lots of fanfare, and have quietly disappeared or are in the still useable but not longer improved or developed place. Money spent on Zebra is money well spent. U-he synths never go on sale. They don't have to. The are long lasting tools to learn and grow with.

wagtunes wrote:
Zebra 2's CPU usage is higher than Synthmaster's.
That might be so, though it is hard to measure... of course I can put every Zebra module into a preset and really hit the cpu hard :hihi: ... but that is not practical sound design.

The cpu use with Zebra is a bit more steady. Synthmaster more easily makes the cpu spike and so I can get crackles in situations where the average cpu level might be lower. And depending on the tools and setting you use in Synthmaster, you can hit the cpu hard too. In overall practical use, I would put them in the same category for cpu use... and both below synths like Diva and Bazille.

FAW circle2, it is on sale right now for 49 euros I think. It's a great synth to learn on and is deep enough too.
dedication to flying

Per synth I'd have to say Reaktor. ;)

pdxindy wrote: Synthmaster more easily makes the cpu spike and so I can get crackles in situations where the average cpu level might be lower. And depending on the tools and setting you use in Synthmaster, you can hit the cpu hard too.
This was true with version 2.6 so that I sold it, but lately I demoed 2.7 and ot is very stable with lower cpu usage than before without spikes or crackles. It's now a great buy IMO. I should have been more patient and not sold it :(

Wusikstation 8! Unbeatable in terms of value for money. :tu:

Double post
Last edited by 4damind on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zebra is very expensive and a bit dated for what it does. It needs and will also get an overhaul with Zebra 3. Sound is ok but this can all be done with Synthmaster a lot better for only a few bucks. For typically trance stuff with unison sounds Synthmaster with the last version is a lot better than Zebra.
Anyway there is still a steeper learning curve compared to some of this more basic synth like Spire, Sylenth etc

Sonic Academy ANA
http://www.sonicacademy.com/SonicXtra/ANA+Synth/

KV331 Audio Synthmaster
http://www.kv331audio.com/

ANA has very intuitive GUI and the feature set optimized for typical dance/trance sounds, but is high on CPU and very prone to aliasing. Still, good synth to learn on.

Synthmaster is much more complex and also can be quite CPU heavy, but is capable of much wider range of sounds Factory presets are mostly not very good, but they sell soundbanks for cheap. Subjectively, it sounds better than ANA (at least it doesn't alias that bad). If you need a cheap synth being as versatile as possible, this seems to be one of the best options.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Actually Mpowersynth is affordable every now and then. 99e for that (m)powerhouse is a great deal.

recursive one wrote:ANA has very intuitive GUI and the feature set optimized for typical dance/trance sounds, but is high on CPU and very prone to aliasing. Still, good synth to learn on.
Wouldn't have guessed that ANA would be high on CPU. Good to know though.

Return to “Instruments”