Phonec v2.0 Development Fundraiser (Mac and Windows 64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Psychic Modulation has officially launched a crowdfunding campaign for the development of Phonec v2.0 for Mac and Windows 64-bit.

Phonec was originally developed with Synthedit in 2012. The idea was to create a synth that could reproduce the sound of 'video logos' heard on worn out VHS tapes in the 80s. It has since inspired a cult following. I began recieving numerous requests for a Mac version and have finally decided that it's time to make this happen. The funding will go towards hiring a skilled programmer to develop Phonec v2 for Mac and Windows 64-bit. Phonec v2.0 will have lots of interesting new features, but best of all, it will finally be available for Mac users!

However, this can only happen with your support.

I have set up several different funding options with 'goods' awarded ranging from discounted upgrades, Pre-order options, great deals on Psychic Modulation's entire range of commercial plugins and access to a new, ever expanding collection of Ableton Instruments and Sound Packs. You can check out the first instrument release and download a free demo here. I have even included a funding option for custom web design. More details about the campaign and the funding options can be found on the campaign page right here.

Phonec v2.0 will be a major upgrade from the original in many aspects including sound, features and bug fixes. While staying true to the original's layout and design, there are lot's of new things going on under the hood. Here's a list of what you will see in v2.0:
  • Aftertouch for key parameters
    New Dub Delay Shifter
    Improved HFO
    Filter FM
    AM synthesis
    Improved X-wave mode
    LFO Intro knobs
    New VHS noise control
    Filter Wet/Dry control
    Arp Hold function
    Various improvements to the Oscillator section
    Larger, enhanced GUI
    Several small improvements and fixes
To read more about Phonec in it's current state, listen to more sound demos and even take it for a test drive, visit the Phonec web page here.
Last edited by jack [psychicmodulation] on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Come on people!!! Would be great to have Phonec 2 in 64-bit!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

More good news for Mac users, Phonec will be available as an AU as well!

Just dropping a message in here to get updates. Fingers crossed!

Psychic Modulation really nailed that elusive sound from synth history when Phonec was first released.
Other synths sure can get close, but Phonec has it dialed-in immediately.
If any other hobbyists are like me, this really is a time-saver from all the routing and exporting.
I'm really excited to finally have it as an Audio Unit in Apple Logic Pro.

cvison wrote:Psychic Modulation really nailed that elusive sound from synth history when Phonec was first released.
Other synths sure can get close, but Phonec has it dialed-in immediately.
If any other hobbyists are like me, this really is a time-saver from all the routing and exporting.
I'm really excited to finally have it as an Audio Unit in Apple Logic Pro.
It's not always convenient to dig around thrift stores for overly used videotapes to record synthesizers on. Phonec pre-records your tones into it's built in VCR and stores your tapes in the attic for for a couple decades so you don't have to. :wink:

I've been hitting the Phonec demo hard since supporting the fundraiser, and it's just incredible. Some of the woozy tones you can get with really odd release behaviour are absolutely beautiful - like a harmonic jungle. It's so easy to stumble across gorgeous sounds. Super excited about the fundraiser and I'll be buying Phonec whatever happens.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote: It's not always convenient to dig around thrift stores for overly used videotapes to record synthesizers on. Phonec pre-records your tones into it's built in VCR and stores your tapes in the attic for for a couple decades so you don't have to. :wink:
Phonec2 looks easier to program than the Timer function.
But as long as we have commercial-skip and auto-rewind I think we're good. :tu:

Would Rack Extension be possible?

I gotta say, I'd really be interested in a Mac version of this plugin, but I'm not contributing to the campaign, and here's why...

For one, I can't actually demo the V.1 of the plug, and none of the audio demos are clear enough what's going on for me to really judge what the plug is doing.

But foremost, the crowd funding site is both a very unfamiliar one, and one where you get the money regardless of goal performance. So basically, if it takes 6k to develop the version you're trying to make, and you get 1000 dollars, you can't do what you set out to do, but you still get to keep the 1000 dollars. That doesn't make sense to me, and doesn't make me inclined to throw my money at something that may never actually exist, may not even have any obligation to, and has had no contingency plan if the campaign falls short.

Don't get me wrong...it looks like you do good work. I believe you're genuine in what you're trying to do. It's just that the plan doesn't look clear to me at all.

TheUriah wrote:I gotta say, I'd really be interested in a Mac version of this plugin, but I'm not contributing to the campaign, and here's why...

For one, I can't actually demo the V.1 of the plug, and none of the audio demos are clear enough what's going on for me to really judge what the plug is doing.

But foremost, the crowd funding site is both a very unfamiliar one, and one where you get the money regardless of goal performance. So basically, if it takes 6k to develop the version you're trying to make, and you get 1000 dollars, you can't do what you set out to do, but you still get to keep the 1000 dollars. That doesn't make sense to me, and doesn't make me inclined to throw my money at something that may never actually exist, may not even have any obligation to, and has had no contingency plan if the campaign falls short.

Don't get me wrong...it looks like you do good work. I believe you're genuine in what you're trying to do. It's just that the plan doesn't look clear to me at all.
I can totally understand your concern.

I should clarify, if the campaign does not work out and Phonec v2 does not happen, everyone will be refunded for upgrades and pre-orders. I have no intentions to keep the funds if I can't fund this project.

That being said, if I get close enough to my goal to where it's reasonable for me pay the rest out of pocket, I still plan to go through with development. That's why I chose RocketHub, because they don't have an 'all or nothing' policy like KickStarter.

I should definitely clarify this in the campaign description.

I'll try to make some more isolated demo tracks of Phonec doing what it does best for those that can't use the demo version. I will post some here when I do.

aallvor wrote:Would Rack Extension be possible?
That's very unlikely at the moment.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
TheUriah wrote:I gotta say, I'd really be interested in a Mac version of this plugin, but I'm not contributing to the campaign, and here's why...

I can totally understand your concern.

I should clarify, if the campaign does not work out and Phonec v2 does not happen, everyone will be refunded for upgrades and pre-orders. I have no intentions to keep the funds if I can't fund this project.

That being said, if I get close enough to my goal to where it's reasonable for me pay the rest out of pocket, I still plan to go through with development. That's why I chose RocketHub, because they don't have an 'all or nothing' policy like KickStarter.

I should definitely clarify this in the campaign description.

I'll try to make some more isolated demo tracks of Phonec doing what it does best for those that can't use the demo version. I will post some here when I do.
Well, if that's not just the best dang reply I could hope for, I don't know what is. Alright, I'm in. I'll check my account tomorrow. (And super interested in your sound sets after checking the demo!)

I wasn't aware that you were on a 'flexible funding' model (as Indiegogo calls it), but I'm actually chuffed cos it'd be a crying shame if you fell only just short.

The KVR old-school can vouch for your trustworthiness. I remember your posts/synths etc from back when this community was small enough for everyone to recognise everyone (the Tugger flying cock gif days :P), and you've always been a top guy.

Quick question though - Once the campaign ends and (if) you manage to raise enough to make this happen, will people who've preordered Phonec 2 get instant access to Phonec 1? I understand it's not really something you can do before the end of the campaign as, if you decide you don't have enough to make Phonec 2 happen and send out refunds, you'll have essentially just given a ton of free licenses away. It'd be great to play with the full-fat Phonec in the meantime if you succeed though, as coding a synth from scratch takes time. I appreciate that I could have bought Phonec v1 and then contributed the $10 upgrade option, but I thought the $50 preorder would be more useful in terms of making this campaign a success.

If however you don't succeed and start sending out refunds, mine's being redirected straight into a Phonec 1 sale.

Best of luck!

cron wrote:I wasn't aware that you were on a 'flexible funding' model (as Indiegogo calls it), but I'm actually chuffed cos it'd be a crying shame if you fell only just short.

The KVR old-school can vouch for your trustworthiness. I remember your posts/synths etc from back when this community was small enough for everyone to recognise everyone (the Tugger flying cock gif days :P), and you've always been a top guy.

Quick question though - Once the campaign ends and (if) you manage to raise enough to make this happen, will people who've preordered Phonec 2 get instant access to Phonec 1? I understand it's not really something you can do before the end of the campaign as, if you decide you don't have enough to make Phonec 2 happen and send out refunds, you'll have essentially just given a ton of free licenses away. It'd be great to play with the full-fat Phonec in the meantime if you succeed though, as coding a synth from scratch takes time. I appreciate that I could have bought Phonec v1 and then contributed the $10 upgrade option, but I thought the $50 preorder would be more useful in terms of making this campaign a success.

If however you don't succeed and start sending out refunds, mine's being redirected straight into a Phonec 1 sale.

Best of luck!
I've been so busy I hadn't even considered this. But yes, I'd be happy to send out copies of v1 to all pre-orders as a 'thank you' for participating in the fundraiser. :)

Return to “Instruments”