Line 6 Helix

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Conversion of digital signals from electrical to optical is pretty basic and, in fact, is involved in MIDI connections - your 5-pin DIN MIDI lead is electrical but in order to avoid undesirable electrical problems (earth loops etc) the signal goes through an optical stage before being passed to the processors in the next box.

Can I just tell you I love this thing? I'm sure (as with almost everything else) I'll say something positive and then but trolled into some terrible problem, but when you really break it down, it's so far ahead of anything I've used it's criminal.

But you know me, I have to nitpick about the shit I don't like :hihi:

First off, the "global" eq. I dunno who did the design of this, but it's got to be the worst eq in history...no, NOT all eq's sound the same. Maybe there is something about it and the 1/4 outs or something but no matter what I do, it ruins everything. That is unlike my babyface pro eq or a host eq where dialing in/out the correct overall frequencies is a dream :shrug:

Still don't get how you can't have a simple "save as" in the onscreen editor and then select a destination. L6 will be hearing about this ;)

How can almost everything I ever own, no matter what, be so DSP deficient :bang: Really? You can't have two parallel IR's at 2048? :roll:

Anyways, you know I'm a post-aholic about these things....now back to playing.

incubus wrote:
How can almost everything I ever own, no matter what, be so DSP deficient :bang: Really? You can't have two parallel IR's at 2048? :roll:
You can have parallel 2048 IRs :wink:
There are two Shark DSP processors.
Top pair of paths use DSP chip 1.
Bottom pair of paths use DSP chip 2.
With some creative routing, you can setup the 2nd DSP chip (lower two paths) to process a 2nd parallel 2048 IR
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

:dog:

Jim & company, what would I do w/o you?

I assumed it was an issue because I looked it up and saw much belly-aching about it.

incubus wrote::dog:

Jim & company, what would I do w/o you?

I assumed it was an issue because I looked it up and saw much belly-aching about it.
It's not a get a jail free card. I was one of the belly achers. So, the answer is yes because you can put the 2nd IR on one of the other paths. But that stops you from a lot of routing uses, vocal/guit, guit/bass, guit/keys etc... It also makes some simple routings, not simple.

But, small problem compare to the advantages.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Last edited by incubus on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

still, w/o...........

With "eq" regardless, it's terrific. I'm sure that kemper and axefx people think one thing, but w/o a side by side comparison for me, this is terrific. Nice.

Damn you, I'm jealous.

I've been trying to recreate "Classic" sounds using my Yamaha Variax Standard and THR10C and I can't even come close. Everytime I browse youtube I'm seeing someone recreate a classic tone that I can only dream about.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

But you know what, it's so f**king objective.

What works for me, can easily be garbage for someone else.

And, in case anyone cares, I change my mind from what "I like" one time vs. a different day. But the Helix is a terrific unit regardless, I still feel more comfortable with this than anything else I've ever used. Plus the editor is fantastic (even much better than the GT 100, which is really good) and I love the floor-board model.

It has a feel, and flexibility. I still own all "those" amp sims, and like this better every day. Very hard to explain. It's not a "cash" thing because you know me..... if it wasn't up to snuff, I'd have sent the f**ker back :lol:

If I posted examples, people would probably just laugh and say "ha ha, there is hib...I mean incubus, trolling out more crap" :lol:

Well here's the thing,,,,, I can do {b}a few[/b] very satisfying recreations of classic sounds on the THR10C There isn't the following for THR's as their is for POD HD / Helix. Nor does it come close to the possibilities .
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I think my helix is on the blink. Basically ANYTHING I try to do sounds terrible all of the sudden (like there is no cab sim)

Yikes that sucks.

My linnstrument recently bit the dust. It won't light up or transmit midi. But... when I connect via usb the computer recognizes it.

incubus wrote:I think my helix is on the blink. Basically ANYTHING I try to do sounds terrible all of the sudden (like there is no cab sim)
You update to the most recent firmware (released on Weds of last week I believe)?
I'd reflash the firmware with a full restore... and see where you are at that point.

Make sure to backup all your patches/IRs prior to the firmware update.

If there's still a problem, get in touch with Line-6.
Thus far, they've been extremely responsive when a customer has an issue.
Last edited by Jim Roseberry on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote:
incubus wrote:I think my helix is on the blink. Basically ANYTHING I try to do sounds terrible all of the sudden (like there is no cab sim)
You update to the most recent firmware (released on Weds of last week I believe)?
I'd reflash the firmward with a full restore... and see where you are at that point.

Make sure to backup all your patches/IRs prior to the firmware update.

If there's still a problem, get in touch with Line-6.
Thus far, they've been extremely responsive when a customer has an issue.
Jim, you are a virtual cornucopia of info......I had no idea they had a firmware update. Thank you! :)

Yeah, I'm not overly buggered about it, it will get sorted ... I have s-gear and the 9 buck megasingle for the time being.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”