Line 6 Helix

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FWIW,

Thus far, updating firmware has been a relatively smooth process.
A couple of times I had to restart the process... but that was it.
Once complete, everything was fine. (Make sure to backup any User Patches and IRs)

I only use the Global EQ to solve issues at particular gigs.
I'd rather tweak patches with it off... so they sound good/consistent without using the Global EQ.
Then, if a particular PA is sounding different, you can use the Global EQ to make minor tweaks for that particular venue/gig.

I prefer the "Auto" impedence setting.

As for IRs:
If you have a particular guitar Cab... and liked it mic'd with a certain mic/position, create your own IR of that specific setup.
This allows you to really hone in on *your* sound.
If you learn to work with them, the stock cabs are fine.
I just wanted more control... so I created my own IRs from a Friedman 2x12 (vintage 30s).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

lol .. so there you have it .. two people, two completely different approaches. Enjoy!
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Jim, do you primarily use Humbuckers? I found the auto-impedance had a hard time with my low output single coils, especially if an external fuzz or wah was in front.

SJ_Digriz wrote:Jim, do you primarily use Humbuckers? I found the auto-impedance had a hard time with my low output single coils, especially if an external fuzz or wah was in front.

Hi SJ,

Helix is so deep... there's no way everyone is going to use it the same. :)

Yes, all my guitars have humbuckers.
I'm sure that accounts for the difference.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Jim, do you primarily use Humbuckers? I found the auto-impedance had a hard time with my low output single coils, especially if an external fuzz or wah was in front.
Helix is so deep... there's no way everyone is going to use it the same. :)
Oh, for sure .. I'm just always curious what those differences might entail.

Well, one thing is for certain. Sure as hell feels better that what I was using. Sometime a little too much. There is an almost airy feel/sound with some stuff that is weird, and some of it is way too "line 6'y" :hihi:

But, being pretty handy with getting a decent tone it's a jewel in the ease department.

incubus wrote: and some of it is way too "line 6'y" :hihi:
Yeah, that comes up a lot. But, almost every patch that gives you that squishy, pillow over the speakers or box of bees sound can be easily fixed.
But, being pretty handy with getting a decent tone it's a jewel in the ease department.
Wait till you get a setlist dialed in. I don't know how it could get better live.

Ok, I've brought this up at various times and usually get the "not happening here" concerning "Rosen" IR's. They are all phasey like the latency is not good. Was hoping it was just crappy IR loading on a computer based thing, but it's happening here.

I wonder why.

I've loaded dozens of IRs from various companies as well as some custom one off ones. I've never heard any phasing. I've also not read anything that would suggest that there is an IR problem on the Helix other than format support.

No problems with IRs here either.
The length of longer IRs is truncated to ~42ms (2048 samples).
The format is 16Bit mono 48k
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

I suppose a really long stereo IR could have weird results. Never tried it.

I have a question that is NOT ABOUT SOUND QUALITY. Sorry, had to shout because I don't want to go there. :uhuhuh:

Using a computer exclusively, I wondered if being XLR to XLR will provide better shielding in this case instead of the 1/4 to XLR jacks. Computer noise is the only issue I have and since I currently have to sit kinda close, that can be an issue with the really high gain stuff unless I move to a certain position (yes, even with buckers).

TRS balanced lines should be comparable to XLR->XLR. Not all leads are created equal obviously - the housing at each end is just plastic in some cases.

Kinda what I thought. Even 10" ers are from 18+ usd (shipped, would have to get "monster" in town, 25 usd for the evil brand :hihi: ) each and if they were not much better I'd feel like I wasted my money. Thanks.

The one thing I've dealt with from a noise standpoint is from mouse movement over the usb connection. But I don't have to sit right on the computer, so I don't know how much localised RF off the computer would affect my setup. I'm sure there will be some even if well shielded if you are right on it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”