Line 6 Helix

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mister Natural wrote:I seriously think anyone who doesn't embrace modern "modeling" has their head in the sand
Those using sims are even deeper so - having sand in ears too. ;)

You want the same sound as all the sim users - where is the art?

Why is an oil painting worth so much more than IKEA printed copies of the same thing?

All the great producers are going for originality.
No song sounded like the next one.

I'm not there yet - where can I buy Helix?
:D

I figured I'd just resurrect this thread than start a new one. So after a year, I finally took the plunge and bought a Helix at Gearfest this year. It actually sounds better than I thought it would. It runs out of DSP faster than I thought it would. They just came out with an update that has Snapshots. Snapshots are amazing. USB at 96/24 gives you a recording of exactly what you hear in the headphones. Although a few people have reported problems, so far in a week of heavy use I haven't had a lockup or any other stability problem. A few of the interface decisions are a bit odd, but nothing major.

So far the pros far outweigh the couple of cons.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:It runs out of DSP faster than I thought it would.
Example?

I started messing with snapshots with this patch. I wanted to have the normal twin channel and the vibrato channel version of the amp. And I want to use my own IR's. In this patch I could only have 1 IR if I replaced the 2 cabs. Or I would have to remove 2 FX. Also, if I had two amps, I could only have 1 built in cab or I would have to remove 2 FX to get the 2nd cab. 3 if I wanted to use my own IRs.

Well, convolution can be pretty DSP intensive so yeah, I can understand there needs to be some massaging of things into the available DSP power...

But wow, v2.0 is such a huge update.

so what it really seems to boil down to is if you want to have a lot of FX options, you are kind of limited to 1 amp.

EvilDragon wrote:Well, convolution can be pretty DSP intensive so yeah, I can understand there needs to be some massaging of things into the available DSP power...

But wow, v2.0 is such a huge update.
dude, snapshots rule the world.

Having 25 greenbacks with a 57 panned 90 L and Alnico Blues with a R121 panned 90 R is really a great sound with that normal head. So I can't complain too much.

SJ_Digriz wrote:so what it really seems to boil down to is if you want to have a lot of FX options, you are kind of limited to 1 amp.
I suppose it might also depend on the actual model being used... I see in one video the guy used quite a few FX along with the Mark IV model and a Matchless. Then again, even one amp can do a whole ton of things - if it's a very good clean channel that takes on pedals well, you can shape all kinds of distortions using various stomp models, etc. etc.

I don't think two lifetimes are enough to explore every avenue Helix offers... Still didn't get one, but I might. Can't exactly justify it now since I don't gig at all, it'd be a purely GAS-based purchase :D

Here's a snippet of just farting around while I'm tweaking the twin setup. I'm using my new 58' LP. Just straight into the Helix->USB->Cubase->Render. No processing.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/204 ... win-58.wav

LOL, I just realized I'm using the Helix at 96khz ... more plugins at 44khz - that's what we call the dumbass mode.

Hehe. :D

Why the hell does the thing clip when you spank the guitar - can't be how the amp really sounds, Fender's clean channels are squeaky clean, no?

EvilDragon wrote:Hehe. :D

Why the hell does the thing clip when you spank the guitar - can't be how the amp really sounds, Fender's clean channels are squeaky clean, no?
like most amp things it's a pita to get the gain stage right. I think I'm clipping the output of the actual audio interface part. It doesn't do that when I use the line out to an amp.

EDIT: By the way, that's why I'm hitting it hard. I'm trying to figure out the dynamics of the thing ... soft to loud, trebbly vs bassy. etc...

AHHH .... There is a digital out level in one of the global menus. Interesting that it would clip at 96khz. It should take a beating without clipping.

Sample rate has not much to do with clipping, bit depth does - and output gain of course :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”