Genre classification

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's my first time posting on KVR, so hi to you all :)

In the late 90s I used to post tracks on mp3.com. In the 2000s I didn't make much music, but recently I've bought some soft-synths/romplers and started producing a bit again.

My problem at the moment is that I have no good idea what sub-genre of electronic music I am making. I guess I've been out of the game for too long to know what my current style is called.. :?

So any helping suggestions to nudge me in the right direction would be much appreciated! :)

Here is an example of the typical sound of the music I am making today:

https://soundcloud.com/tortastic/awakened-dream

Nice sound. I would call it electronica. By the way, nice use of Clara's Vocals. I use it myself. You've just got yourself a new follower on Soundcloud.

Yeah, it's beat-oriented, and euro-ish, so electronica.

Thanks to you both for your input! Then I guess I was not as lost as I thought.

@Garry: I'm glad you liked it. Yes, Clara's vocal is great. Considering it's free I have to say it is quite amazing!
I had a listen to some of your tracks too, and I especially liked "It's time" and "Infinity". So you got yourself a new follower too :)

I'd call this "atmospheric breaks" (there is such a genre, kinda like old school trance with slower bpm and broken beats, it's very popular among electronic music lovers in my country now but I'm not sure if it's well known in the rest of the world).

Beautiful melody and nice synths. You may want to slightly rework the drum pattern to make it less monotonous and more groovy/dynamic. Other that that it's a great track, liked and followed you on SC.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:I'd call this "atmospheric breaks" (there is such a genre, kinda like old school trance with slower bpm and broken beats, it's very popular among electronic music lovers in my country now but I'm not sure if it's well known in the rest of the world).
I have to admit I've never heard about that sub-genre before, but a quick google search and a few listens makes me agree with you. It fits well with some of what I'm hearing. Thanks!
recursive one wrote:Beautiful melody and nice synths. You may want to slightly rework the drum pattern to make it less monotonous and more groovy/dynamic. Other that that it's a great track, liked and followed you on SC.
Yes, I agree with you. I didn't work that much on the drums compared to the rest, so I should do a revision later when time allows it. Thanks for the constructive feedback, and I am glad you liked it :)

Torden wrote:I had a listen to some of your tracks too, and I especially liked "It's time" and "Infinity". So you got yourself a new follower too :)
Thanks. The one I used Clara's Vocals on is Land of No Tomorrows. I also used MidEast Vocals. You might like to check it out yourself. There's a free sample pack.

garryknight wrote: Thanks. The one I used Clara's Vocals on is Land of No Tomorrows. I also used MidEast Vocals. You might like to check it out yourself. There's a free sample pack.
That one is a nice too. Good work!

Thanks for the tip about the MidEast Vocals. Any new vocal packs are always inspiring to work with.

In Awakened Dream I actually only used Clara's Vocals in the beginning. The rest of the vocals are from Shevannai (the voices of elves). In my other track, Lady of the mist, Clara's vocals stand alone.

Excellent!

The other thing I always rely on in vocal tracks is Realivox Blue. Great for backing vocals. They have a sale on at the moment. Not a big reduction, but might be enough to bring it inside some people's budget.

Lady of the mist is also fine!

Who is Clara?

garryknight wrote: The other thing I always rely on in vocal tracks is [url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://realitone.com/blue</span>/]Realivox Blue[/url]. Great for backing vocals. They have a sale on at the moment. Not a big reduction, but might be enough to bring it inside some people's budget.
Ok, I will have a listen later. Thanks for the info!
recursive one wrote:Lady of the mist is also fine!

Who is Clara?

Clara's Vocal is a free vocal library for Native Instruments Kontakt 5.5. You need to own Kontakt 5.5 to be able to use it, but I have to say it is a great vocal instrument. Highly recommended.

Torden wrote: Clara's Vocal is a free vocal library for Native Instruments Kontakt 5.5. You need to own Kontakt 5.5 to be able to use it, but I have to say it is a great vocal instrument. Highly recommended.
Awesome, thanks! (I have latest Komplete so it should work for me)

Return to “Music Cafe”