Alchemy welcomes to Logic X Pro 10.2 and Mainstage 3 (Update 20.1.2016)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Logic Pro MainStage

aMUSEd wrote:
Highly unlikely - they have probably been working their asses off getting the late beta finished and integrated into Logic so quickly. As I have said before, Ben and co were never that materialistic, not that money isn't important at all, developing a new version of such a complex plugin probably required some serious investment, but I think it would have been more important to ensure the future of Ben's baby. He put a lot into it and I think it is unlikely he is just living it up now, he would want to stay involved and to ensure it has a sustainable future. Which appears to be the case now that it is part of Logic.
Yeah I think 70 hour weeks have been the norm in recent months. Hopefully they'll get some late summer hols now it's released though. Or early spring hols for Andy, which doesn't sound as exciting.

More good press from The Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/25/92007 ... ce=twitter

Apple updates Logic Pro with the last synthesizer you'll ever need
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Cinebient wrote:..... and no way back for me.... f.... you MacStore update. I know why i love on things on DVD. I don't have enough space to save all versions of an application!
Really dissapointed!!!!!
Good use case for Time Machine or SuperDuper.

Hard drives are really cheap today!
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

musiclover55547 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:..... and no way back for me.... f.... you MacStore update. I know why i love on things on DVD. I don't have enough space to save all versions of an application!
Really dissapointed!!!!!
I don't understand all these demanding users who don't seem to be able to keep backups of their systems, or keep the previous known good version of a production-critical application when getting an update (because *all* updates change the behaviour of the application).

In the case of Logic, it's really simple. A new update comes out. Before you update, you select your "Logic Pro X" application, and duplicate it and call it "Logic Pro X 10.1.1". Now go ahead and grab the 10.2 update. If there is something that causes you a problem, whether a new bug, a change in behaviour, or whatever, you can easily continue to use the previous version. And after some time in use, and you are happy with the new version, delete or archive the previous version.

This stuff isn't rocket science, it's common sense, it takes a couple of seconds to do to keep you covered.
The argument "well I shouldn't have to do this" - well you don't have to, but you have to either stick with existing versions, or deal with changes in updates as they occur. At least this way you are covered in any eventuality - which is the sensible, "pro" approach.

People whining that "Apple don't want pro users" and then moaning that they can't grab a file from a backup or keep a 1GB older application on your system or protect a production machine from unexpected things just tells me that they aren't the pro user they think they are.

In addition, the actual Logic Pro X app bundle is not that big so making a copy is a no-brainer. Those with professional studios most likely also install new versions on a separate partition and test them before letting the version loose in the production studio environment or keep both around. As said, disks are cheap today.

I have been wowed with the Alchemy addition. Yeah, shame on the Camel Audio folks for making a brilliant synth and then the smart business decision to make a bundle, selling to Apple. :lol: I marvel at the folks who are poking at the business decision to sell Alchemy to Apple. Really? I honestly think it was a great move for Camel, and something we can all (well - Logic or MainStage users) benefit from. Especially current Logic users. Current Logic users? Yikes, this was a free upgrade. You don't own Logic or MainStage? If you're a Mac user - you owe it to yourself to pluck down $29 (twenty-nine dollars) and purchase MainStage. Forgetting all the other live performance capabilities - you get all the Logic software instruments... including Alchemy. Did someone say $29? :party: Slam dunk for Apple. There is a reason they (Apple) have taken over the industry, and it has a lot to do with paying attention to User Experience, understanding the market - then delivering what users want. In this case, they have upped the Logic/MainStage experience in a way that I didn't think possible. It's really a brilliant move.

Alchemy was on my software synth bucket list. Now... I picked it up free. Sweet. It's not just getting 3000+ presets... but what even someone with zero Alchemy experience, can do once they have a patch loaded up. Morphing between sounds is the killer feature IMO. Import EXS24 instruments? Morph those with existing patches, or create a new one. Holy crap - you can lose yourself in hours of fiddling with that capability alone.

Well it's all been said, and written about - but it's dead simple to use synth, and cannot be overstated how powerful the capabilities are. Adding Alchemy to Logic was really a fantastic business decision by Apple. Probably a fantastic business decision for Camel Audio too. I hope they all get fantastically wealthy, and double down on the next big software synth.

If you're wringing your hands because you're a Windows user - I understand. Alchemy is a huge loss for Windows users. Sure - Windows Alchemy users can continue to use older versions, but won't see upgrades. If you're wringing your hand because Apple is evil, or some other bizarre viewpoint like Camel Audio principals shouldn't benefit from their innovation and hard work .. well, that just crazy talk. :ud:

Might want to slow down on that kool-aid. :lol:

:hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

beely wrote:
musiclover55547 wrote:
Really dissapointed!!!!!
I don't understand all these demanding users who don't seem to be able to keep backups of their systems, or keep the previous known good version of a production-critical application when getting an update (because *all* updates change the behaviour of the application).

In the case of Logic, it's really simple. A new update comes out. Before you update, you select your "Logic Pro X" application, and duplicate it and call it "Logic Pro X 10.1.1". Now go ahead and grab the 10.2 update. If there is something that causes you a problem, whether a new bug, a change in behaviour, or whatever, you can easily continue to use the previous version. And after some time in use, and you are happy with the new version, delete or archive the previous version.

This stuff isn't rocket science, it's common sense, it takes a couple of seconds to do to keep you covered.
The argument "well I shouldn't have to do this" - well you don't have to, but you have to either stick with existing versions, or deal with changes in updates as they occur. At least this way you are covered in any eventuality - which is the sensible, "pro" approach.

People whining that "Apple don't want pro users" and then moaning that they can't grab a file from a backup or keep a 1GB older application on your system or protect a production machine from unexpected things just tells me that they aren't the pro user they think they are.
Sure.... not to back up is my fault for sure.... lesson learned of course ;)
I never said i'm a pro but also as an semi-talented hoobyist i like to use "pro app" like Logic.
I also know that there is no bug free software today sice everything getting more complex. But what i also not understand is what beta testers test today. I mean when i see all this bugs as a amateur, why do real "pro" like apple not. And i mean there are some huge bugs which breaks whole projects.
I also have the feeling that too many people eat everything apple give them.
I must say that apple is king in marketing and could sell a bunch of shit to the sheeps. We all know that. But i don't have to accept that ;)
I know, others are not better.... but that's not how to catch consumers and/or professional users......
However, sorry for my little rant. I will try to make the best out of it. I just hope the fix it fast.
After exploring Alchemy in depth i can say that it would be worth to buy Logic just to get it. That doesn't mean i pray to the holy apple now :D

Cinebient wrote:After exploring Alchemy in depth i can say that it would be worth to buy Logic just to get it. That doesn't mean i pray to the holy apple now :D
Undoubtely at that price it's an absolute no brainer for beginners, i was reluctant because of the loss of any upgrade policy as a regular owner of Logic 9, but after the integration of Alchemy (even if i owned it already as a regular Camel Audio costumer)...it's getting more and more tempting !

Krakatau wrote:i was reluctant because of the loss of any upgrade policy as a regular owner of Logic 9
The full cost of LPX is basically the same price that the Logic major version upgrades used to be, so existing users don't really lose out in terms of moving to the next version.

I sat on the fence for ages too, but Alchemy pushed me into buying and I am not regretting it. Although LPX takes a bit of getting used to as it is so different from LP9 I feel very comfortable with it now, it loads much much faster (which was a factor that was stopping me using LP9 as much) and feels very well put together as a host (with a few niggles like the non editability of smart control layouts). tbh the upgrade policy wasn't a factor for me, not just because the price is so reasonable anyway, but also because it's such great vfm with huge point updates like this (that some hosts developer would call a new version) and several years usually between full versions.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cinebient wrote:But what i also not understand is what beta testers test today. I mean when i see all this bugs as a amateur, why do real "pro" like apple not. And i mean there are some huge bugs which breaks whole projects.
Beta testing a deep application is hard. I don't know what Apple's beta testing policies are these days but I know they cut a lot of ties with old beta testers when Logic moved to Apple and in the name of keeping things under their hat I don't think their beta test circle is that wide.

If you look at the long update notes of issues fixed between versions you get an idea of just how hard and subtle some of these bugs are. We all get frustrated when something obvious breaks, or stays broken for ages, believe me I know the frustration of that one but I do know how hard these guys work and how much they care.

The best thing you can do when you come across things (and different things affect different users) is to file a proper bug report - have you done that for the issues you are experiencing? This helps them prioritise issues and hopefully get them fixed.

Ranting doesn't really change anything, or complaining that life should be different. Logic is an *amazing* product these days, but like all complicated software, it has it's various issues, and as the app moves forward, the issues are getting taken care of, bit by bit.

beely wrote:
Cinebient wrote:But what i also not understand is what beta testers test today. I mean when i see all this bugs as a amateur, why do real "pro" like apple not. And i mean there are some huge bugs which breaks whole projects.
Beta testing a deep application is hard. I don't know what Apple's beta testing policies are these days but I know they cut a lot of ties with old beta testers when Logic moved to Apple and in the name of keeping things under their hat I don't think their beta test circle is that wide.
I think he was referring to Logic 10.2 as a whole there, not specifically Alchemy (which seems pretty solid, so far I have only found one fairly minor bug).

aMUSEd wrote:I think he was referring to Logic 10.2 as a whole there, not specifically Alchemy (which seems pretty solid, so far I have only found one fairly minor bug).
That's what I assumed.

Return to “Instruments”