Pro-Tools Free is out. At least it is for moi...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro Tools Ultimate

Waiting for free DAWs like waiting for the bus.

They arrive all at once, like Studio One 3 Prime and Pro-Tools First

Registered a week ago, yet no link to download it? :?

qtheerearranger wrote:well i want to know why they aren't giving pro tools and pro tools hd users cloud yet when the free version is forced to use it... avid.. make some sense of your strategies lol.
To troubleshoot it I bet.

Numanoid wrote:Registered a week ago, yet no link to download it? :?
It took awhile here. Approx 4 weeks all told. :roll:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

So what does it take to get a Pro-Tools Free license? I signed up for it a long time ago :help:

And yet what AVID sends me is just informercials like "Experience the ACA in action" :P

Numanoid wrote:So what does it take to get a Pro-Tools Free license? I signed up for it a long time ago :help:
Hey, at least it makes the one who got it feel exclusive. And that's the whole deal i guess. :P

Finally got the mail from AVID today :o

Is Xpand2 really included with Pro-Tools First?

I download the installer folder, and that is just about 1GB, far less than Xpand2, and I can't seem to find any xpand2 files inside the folder either?

Pro-Tools First is completely useless!

Without an Internet connection you can do nothing.

It is shockingly bad, in my opinion. Sluggish (possibly due to it always connecting to cloud storage?), buggy, CPU intensive on my i7 rMBP, crippled beyond any appropriate use.... I can't see how Avid expect this to win PT12 any fans.

Oddly, as I just got an iLok2 key, I'm currently trying out the PT11 demo (for some reason, there isn't one for 12), and it's a completely different experience to First. Less cumbersome to set up, lighter on CPU load than Cubase Pro 8, glitch-free, actually fun to use.

I've never considered moving to PT before but 11 has won me over (I like to track with plugins activated, treating the DAW as a live mixing desk for my hardware gear, and Logic's core handling can't handle this). Thing is, I'm taken with 11, not 12.....and I'm not sure this ridiculously complicated, confused pricing system they've brought in is something I want to get involved with.

Just need to keep scouring the marketplace for 2nd hand PT11 licenses, I suppose.

I don't understand, I thought you can't use plugs other than what is bought from the store?

Do you mean to tell me I got bad information from that "other" famous forum?

shadowdancerbnr wrote: I've never considered moving to PT before but 11 has won me over (I like to track with plugins activated, treating the DAW as a live mixing desk for my hardware gear, and Logic's core handling can't handle this). Thing is, I'm taken with 11, not 12.....and I'm not sure this ridiculously complicated, confused pricing system they've brought in is something I want to get involved with.

Just need to keep scouring the marketplace for 2nd hand PT11 licenses, I suppose.
The most offending parts of new licensing policy is now removed, just a few weeks ago. It took them a year to figure out it did not work to improve results for Avid, shares went from $18 to $8 in two months.

If you feel like upgrading, enter support plan for $299 first year, then $199 annually if wanting continuous upgrades included. So policy changed from having to buy new license and now can re-enter for $299.

Until end of 2015 you can enter support plan as well for $199.

Cheapest way to get PT12 is getting a Avid Fasttrack Solo interface, about $80 or so. Then enter support plan for $199, until end of 2015 if having Avid hardware like Fasttrack.

With PT12 you have a range of features that might be of interest:
on track input monitoring
track count increased to 128, from 96
Nested VCA faders, was for PTHD only before.

None of that is in PT11.

VCA faders and enormous track counts don't interest me but input monitoring....I can do that in the PT11 demo, but now I've realised said demo has HD features. Guess I'll have to go for 12 then.

shadowdancerbnr wrote:VCA faders and enormous track counts don't interest me but input monitoring....I can do that in the PT11 demo, but now I've realised said demo has HD features. Guess I'll have to go for 12 then.
There is some global thingy, you could look for that.

Or use this workaround I found looking at it a year ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXag4cB4zM

Using an aux track beside input.

So if that is all, you might be good with PT11.

It seems Pro Tools First now comes with the FULL version of Xpand2.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”