Helm: new cross platform synth beta release

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:Is it a .dll yet or do you need to jump thru hoops to then find it doesnt work.
There's a .dll for the VST and a .exe for the standalone executable. What hoops do you mean? The installer is a bit cumbersome on Windows.. I need to work on that.

For the .dll are you talking about the MSVCP110.dll problem?
I'm still looking into that issue. You *could* fix it by downloading some files from Microsoft. I'm trying to fix it on my end though. I think it requires updating my OS and visual studio. I'll do that before the next release.

Last time i tried if a few months back you had to compile it yourself. I just want to DL a .dll file, if thats possible.

.dll file please,couldn't get it to work last time i tired aswell

Same here, just a dll would be better but til then, which version of the msvcp .dll does it require? when I googled it I was offered a 2013, a 2012 and an x86 version
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Was anyone with the Cubase issue able to get it fixed? My Cubase (8 on 64 bit Windows) also doesn't see Helm even after trying all the suggestions on this thread and swapping the 32/64 bit plugins

+1 for just the .dll file DL

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

I have Cubase Pro 8 (8.0.30) on a Win8.1 64 Bit machine using the Helm 0.50 release - not a single problem here.

My two cents about the "Cubase glitch": Go to "Downloads" and choose the 64 Bit Windows download yourself, the automatic download script which should indentify your OS didn't work for me and I got the 32bit version instead. Choosing manually then just installing into the right VST folder did it for me. It could also be that something relevant was changed about the 0.50 release (compared to the 0.41) that'd make it work - it's worth a try.

Matt - keep up the good work, thank you for putting so much effort into a synth that is open source!

I just stumbled on Helm, and am trying it out first time. It has a Synthmaster feel I think, which is nice :-) Though Synthmaster is of course much more advanced, but I really like how Helm works. Specially the modulation! Reminds me of Camel's Alchemy. So many target's! I love you can use the LFO for wavetable stepping, or the unison controls. Dual filters, an added EQ and a chorus would be nice, but as it is it's a very sweet synth, and I can't wait to dive in deeper over the next days. I can create some really nice sound with it already. Saving them all as presets, if I have a few I'll share. (How do I share them?)

Mathew, I've send you an email with a bugreport, but I'll put it here as well, so people can check if they have the same issue.

At first installation and startup (32-bit VST version in 32-bit FL Studio 12.1 on Windows 7) I was massively let down by the sound of virtually all presets. They had a ringing, reverb and distortion on them that made each one sound similar to all others. It was a really nasty sound, capable of destroying my speakers if I let it I think! Restarting the plugin or FL Studio didn't help, it kept sounding really awefull.

I tried going through all the controls on Helm to figure out where it came from, but came up with nothing. It had to be something else.

Then I went into the plugin's settings, via FL Studio's wrapper. All sounds cleared up when I checked "Use fixed size buffers (for buggy plugins)".

FL informed me this might make a plugin behave better, but at the cost of extra latency. It also said "A properly written plugin should not need this option, so please contact it's author if it works better with it on".

So here I am, contacting you to report this issue. :-) I have to force FL to use fixed size buffers on Helm, introducing extra latency. I'm not sure yet if this latency will be compensated by FL's plugin delay compensation, but in basis Helm should not need to behave like this.

Also, for me on windows 7 (64-bit) using 32-bit FL Studio on an i3 processor with 4GB ram, it's eating up almost 40% of FL's CPU resources. This i just realised today. It's a real dealbreaker, since I'm bound to run out of resources on every project like this.

Still, it's a very promising synth, and I see myself using it.
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Linux user here:
Somehow Ardour4 does not sync with the lv2 version
VST version seems a little bit better although I get some weird pitch shifting when enabling the delay :-/
https://github.com/mtytel/helm/issues/63

Loving this synth though!

rghvdberg wrote:Linux user here:
VST version seems a little bit better although I get some weird pitch shifting when enabling the delay :-/

Linux user here as well, awesome synth! I'm not sure if it's installed as vst or lv2, Ardour 4.4 sees it and there are no problems in this regard. I have another issue though. The GUI for Helm is just too large that the lower 10-15% part is cut off. Is there a way to introduce a scaling option to make the GUI a wee smaller?

I'd vote to nuke the automatic OS detection during downloads. There are people who
have multiple platforms, and may want to keep one or more of them off the internet,
and still be able to access all the downloads.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:I'd vote to nuke the automatic OS detection during downloads. There are people who
have multiple platforms, and may want to keep one or more of them off the internet,
and still be able to access all the downloads.
Cheers
There's a "View all downloads" link underneath the download button that links here: http://tytel.org/helm/downloads/ which has all the installers. I'll probably keep the OS detection, even though it's not perfect because I think it'll help people who don't know if they're running a 32 or 64 bit operating system.

rghvdberg wrote:Linux user here:

Thanks!
Looking into that tempo syncing.
The delay shifting is because I'm smoothing out the delay time so you can create pitching effects with MIDI resolution. It starts out longer so when you enable it, it pitches up.. I could probably do something smarter here though to stop that.

Cygnus X-1 wrote: Linux user here as well, awesome synth! I'm not sure if it's installed as vst or lv2, Ardour 4.4 sees it and there are no problems in this regard. I have another issue though. The GUI for Helm is just too large that the lower 10-15% part is cut off. Is there a way to introduce a scaling option to make the GUI a wee smaller?
I don't distribute the VST plugin (yet) because of license issues, so you have the LV2 probably.
The problem rghvdberg was mentioning had to do with syncing tempo to Ardour so arpeggiator is off.

About the size issue. I thought that would be an issue for some people... dang.
I did make the GUI resizable in this version, but I guess with some window managers you can't access the bottom right corner because it's too big.. Need to come up with something better.

Helm 0.6 is out! You can get it at: http://tytel.org/helm

There are a lot of changes in this build including performance improvements, a mixer, a third envelope, a graphical keyboard, and bug fixes. I had to make some changes that might (unfortunately) change the sound of patches from 0.5 and earlier. Sorry if that causes you issues but once the 1.0 release comes out all following releases will have better sounds stability. Let me know what you think of the new build!

List of 0.6 changes:
- Performance improvements!
- Added a graphical keyboard!
- Added third envelope
- Reorganized layout and new colors, what do you think?
- Replaced oscillator "Mix" parameter with a full oscillator mixer
- Added update checking
- Added patch changing through MIDI
- Added some more patches
- Fixed 'zippering' and 'buzzing' with weird buffer sizes and bouncing audio
- Fixed portamento still affecting sound when off
- Fixed some problems with presets in different DAWs
- Fixed automation issues on tempo parameters
- Fixed unison phasing at beginning of note
- Fixed latency when reverb was enabled
- Fixed some Windows 64bit patch loading/saving problems
- Fixed Windows missing MSVCP110.dll problem