Helm: new cross platform synth beta release

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe old, but ZynAddSubFX is still a fantastic sounding piece of software 8)

glokraw wrote:
fwsuperhero wrote:IMHO (ZynAddSubFX is too much old :)
zyn is actively improved, as is the Yoshimi variant. To paraphrase the muse,
'What's age got to do with it...got to do with it?' :wink:

the latest zyn improvements:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 24&t=14049
zyn is actively improved? Not for windows.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I am talking about ZYN GUI and workflow.
It is great sounding synth with huge possibilities but not user-friendly (look at Xfer Serum for example, huge possibilities and friendly interface) and it lacks modulation matrix. Helm's approach is much more straightforward.

Ameyah Audio wrote:here are 2 drones:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86117128x0ckj ... atches.rar

the preset browser needs a bit work, its a bit hard to click through the presets, maybe a rolldown menu?

@bjporter, i really want that thing in the next OSC! it was really stable here.

crashes ableton 9.2 x86 when loading. somebody else? so his means i cant do a little demo of the 2 presets. :neutral:
Awesome thanks!
I'm looking into those crashes. You all have put a bunch of stuff on my plate :P

Yea the patch browser is kind of a pain. When Helm is more stable I'll put some time into a nicer one.

wagtunes wrote:In the process of trying to figure out how to assign mod wheel to anything. A manual would be great but I guess at this beta stage that's not a reasonable thing to expect. Anyway, I don't see any modulation matrix and right clicking on parameters doesn't seem to do anything. Clicking on mod wheel does light up a bunch of stuff but from there I have no clue. Have tried dragging and dropping, clicking, whatever, but nothing seems to do anything.

This is certainly a puzzle. LOL.
Yea the mod wheel (and pitch wheel for some people) isn't working.. hmm.
The signal must have got lost somewhere, I'll go find it.

any way to change it such that the patches aren't in a hardcoded location? I usually put most of my VSTis and patches together in dirs I've created

synzh wrote:any way to change it such that the patches aren't in a hardcoded location? I usually put most of my VSTis and patches together in dirs I've created
Yea for the next release I'll have you select the location in the installer. I'm assuming you're on Windows right?

Numanoid wrote:Maybe old, but ZynAddSubFX is still a fantastic sounding piece of software 8)
Yea I love me some ZynAddSubFX :love:
Can barely type the name though.

mtytel - thanks, yes on win7

ZynAddSubFX - agreed, has a great sound (from my brief foray), but by the time I made the scene there were plenty of other plugs I wound up getting that surpassed it and thus haven't had time to really put it through its paces

There are several bootable linux dvd audio distros including zyn,
or cousin yoshimi, so you can use it 'out of the box', do a drum track in hydrogen,
some mult-timbral madness with zyn, and import into the windows/mac daw
etc.
Helm has sound that will do well with other instruments,
crystaline highs, raspy growls, and easy access to motion.
Gonna be fun to hear the new sounds.
Cheers

I don't know if this is helpful to the developer or not, but here is my go:

I love the sound of this thing, and started working on an ambient influenced track with it... but I have found that it crashes my DAW a few times. I'm using the latest 64bit Reaper on OSX (10.10.4).

edit: When I pull up the track I am using this plugin on and try to open the instance of it, that's when my DAW crashes. Both the Aui and VSTi versions crash. AUi version opens only in mono in Reaper.

Hey everyone! I released a new version of Helm (v0.4.0) that fixes a lot of the major problems you've reported. Here's a list:

Fixed a crash when opening plugin GUI after changing parameters
Fixed loading back parameters from a saved DAW project
Mac AU Validation now succeeds
Mac build is 64/32 bit universal instead of just 64 bit
Windows installer now asks where to install VST plugin.
Windows 64 bit build is actually 64 bit now
MIDI input is marked "Helm" now instead of "JUCE: Midi Input"
Fixed Modulation Wheel input
Fixed Pitch Wheel's default pitch bending
Small optimizations to GNU/Linux builds

thanks!

Great work on the vector GUI and nice features.
However, in my testing, it crashes FL, and reaper doesn't see the vst.

Love the Organs patches, looking forward for more patches,

Return to “Instruments”