Which virtual piano should I choose?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been looking for a high quality piano for my music, and I need something that not only is good (or great, if you want) quality, but also doesn't cost a bomb (So VSL's Vienna Imperial is off the list).
The following ones caught my eye:

-Steinberg "The Grand 3" (And it comes with electric ones too, which is nice)
-East West Quantum Leaps Piano's silver- Bœsendorfer 290 Imperial/ Steinway D (one or the other)
-Synthogy Ivory II Italian Grand (A bit expensive for my tastes, but bound to be good)
-Imperfect Samples "The Steinway Walnut Grand" (complete)
-Pianoteq 5 Stage
-Native Instruments The Giant/Alicia's Keys (one or the other)

So those are the ones I am looking at. I have placed them in the order of personal preference, but there are some things which I want to note: firstly, I placed NI at the bottom because i have not heard great things about the quality of their customer service, and also the other collections just seem, well, better. I put Steinberg at the top for 3 reasons: A) Their customer service is amazing (I'm a cubase user); B) The collection comes with 3 Grands, an upright and an electric grand; and C) It has a Bœsendorfer.

Basically, I want to know what you think is hould buy, considering that I am on a bit of a budget. Thanks!

Modartt also has exemplary customer service, if you're concerned about that. Just FYI. :)

With Pianoteq Stage you can also use some free add-ons available in the user area (and those contain some piano predecessors, some bells, and even a couple of harpsichords). And it's expandable with other purchasable models (when you feel the need for it), so you can basically have a one-stop-shop solution for piano, electric pianos, chromatic percussion, steel pans, pianofortes, CP-80, and most recently the harp, as well.

I highly recommend VI Labs pianos. Especially Ravenscroft 275 is fabulous and really playable.

I have so many piano libraries including Pianoteq 5, NI Komplete 10 ultimate, Ivory II, Garritan CFX but when I choose piano to work, the first one is Ravenscroft.

Actually Ableton has a good quality piano. Haven't figured out how to get the sustain pedal working though.

I'm pretty happy with the NI keys in K10U. I also have Addictive Keys .. bought those as somewhat of an impulse buy .. but have been impressed with them. Something else to consider.

The demos from the new impact sound works piano sounds awesome.

I have Addictive Keys, too (bought on sale not so long ago... sort of an impulse buy, though I was looking for some piano sounds). It's nice.

Anyway, I think all the pianos mentioned in this thread have a different sound from each other (at least from what I gather listening to the demos I can find online), so instead of suggesting a product (I wouldn't be able to, since I never tried all those softwares) I would ask you which tone you like most or you think it suits best in your own music.

I'd listen to samples of each of the ones listed above and pick the one whose tone you like the best. After all, you want something inspiring, and if you're not inspired playing it, it doesn't really matter if it includes an upright and electric pianos too, does it?

And BTW, pianoteq is a very good modeler that will provide you with all kinds of versatility, (in the ability to pick two different modeling packages with some purchases, as well as upgrade and add more at a future date - electric, harpsichord, different grands, etc.) as well as being one of the best, most playable piano VSTs IMO. The others you mentioned, so far as I know are sample libs, so look for features such as mic placement and control as well. These will allow you to change the tone.

I have pianoteq and a different Imperfect Samples library, and I absolutely love the Imperfect Samples stuff. Between those two as well as soniccouture's Hammerstein, I'm pretty set at piano. (heard great stuff about Ivory as well)

technomobiletom wrote:Pianoteq 5 Stage
Gets my vote

I recently picked up Impact Soundworks' Pearl piano. I also have Ivory and all the Native Instruments pianos included in Komplete 10 Ultimate. My favorite is Impact Soundworks' Pearl Concert Grand. Pianoteq sounds nice also and the editing features you get with the Pro package are great but it's pricey.

Depends so much on the kind of musical context the piano is going into. For my use, which is often slightly jazzy piano rock type stuff, the two that work the best for me so far are Sampletekk's TBO and the Yamaha U5 from Ivory Uprights.

Many other pianos I've bought over the years just didn't work for me. Too dark/wooly-sounding, didn't speak brightly enough when I spank the keys, had midranges that slotted into the mix in a weird way that I didn't like, etc. I'd like to pick up a different piano when I start my next album to shake things up a bit, but I almost dread going through that quest for a piano that works again. The bitch of it is, you can listen to demo tracks all day but you never really know how a given piano is going to work for you until you start using it in the context of your own mixes (and sometimes come to realize you just spent $200 on a piano library you're probably not going to use).
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

+1 what Vectorman said. It really does depend on the context. Solo piano vs something to cut through a dense mix means a variety of tools. I tend to like the tone of a darker piano but that works best in a sparse arrangement or solo. There are some great choices including some of the pianos in Ivory II. One that I never cared for is Native Instruments Alicia's Keys but there were a large number of fans on various forums.

Thanks to all the suggestions!
I highly recommend VI Labs pianos. Especially Ravenscroft 275 is fabulous and really playable.
I took a look at the Ravenscroft, but it seems a bit "hard" for me. I am looking specificaly for a pino that is not only suited for classical, jazz and rock as a solo instrument, or an instrument that cuts through the mix, but also one that can be light.In other words, it will sit back and allow you to absorb everything you hear around you, not just the music.
Actually Ableton has a good quality piano. Haven't figured out how to get the sustain pedal working though.
I'm a cubase user, so that's sadly off the list.
I recently picked up Impact Soundworks' Pearl piano. I also have Ivory and all the Native Instruments pianos included in Komplete 10 Ultimate. My favorite is Impact Soundworks' Pearl Concert Grand. Pianoteq sounds nice also and the editing features you get with the Pro package are great but it's pricey.
Pearl piano is alright, but doesn't let you sit back. Also it's a bit outdated compared to say EWQL's pianos, which for $99 have more than the ear can hear (which rhymes)
Depends so much on the kind of musical context the piano is going into. For my use, which is often slightly jazzy piano rock type stuff, the two that work the best for me so far are Sampletekk's TBO and the Yamaha U5 from Ivory Uprights.

Many other pianos I've bought over the years just didn't work for me. Too dark/wooly-sounding, didn't speak brightly enough when I spank the keys, had midranges that slotted into the mix in a weird way that I didn't like, etc. I'd like to pick up a different piano when I start my next album to shake things up a bit, but I almost dread going through that quest for a piano that works again. The bitch of it is, you can listen to demo tracks all day but you never really know how a given piano is going to work for you until you start using it in the context of your own mixes (and sometimes come to realize you just spent $200 on a piano library you're probably not going to use).
I will remember to consider that.
The others you mentioned, so far as I know are sample libs, so look for features such as mic placement and control as well. These will allow you to change the tone.
That's why I am am also looking at EWQL.
I think i have rambled on long enough, but thanks sooo much for all the suggestions.
I think that, considering all that you guys have said, I am going to go for...
Imperfect Samples
Fazoli concert grand.
Yep.
A Fazoli (After reading my comments you never knew I was going to say that.
Good luck with music composition guys, and thanks soo much for the comments, they helped a lot.

Changed my mind! 7CG from sampletekk caught my eye, but I eventually decided on Addictive keys Studio Grand. Reason being that you can customise the sound, and also it has a lot of character. (Thanks Torley)

Good choice. Add in the AK Upright too, for character. And now we're talking about character, have a look at CineSamples Piano in Blue, SoundIron Emotional Piano and OrangeTreeSamples Evolution Rosewood Grand.
Apart from those, many other Sampletekks are exquisite, particularly TVBO (including 7CG and TBO) and White Grand. Then there's ProductionVoices Grand Gold. Grand indeed.

Return to “Instruments”