Parallax/Paradromic - ElectroProg (Seismic Viewpoints)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As I mentioned on SC, this really does ebb and flow very effectively - all the changes are very well timed for me.

On this extra listen, I particularly like the various combinations of timbres - always clear in the mix and well balanced in terms of frequency content....hell, they just work! :0)

What also grabs me is a strong sense of journey - travelling somewhere and the returning home.

Very nice sound, very fine piece.
Great.

annode wrote:This thread has seen plenty of activity, and without reading it all i`m sure it is all positive. That`s were I come in. My views include a more critical bent.
So, I think I can add something that may not have been expressed.
- The intro synth melody I feel was not only unnecessary it distracted from the beauty of that opening, which was really cool.[up to 2:10]
- @about 3:30 the synth-bass comes in. As i`m listening I imagine it not being there and i`m liking it better for just it`s pads imagery.
- @ 4:19 the bass adds with melodic-line synth. This totally works for me and justifies the bass. Leaving the bass out until this point improves it for me.
- The melody synth @5:54 sounds absolutely appropriate here as a transitioning character. @6:06 i`m not sure about it purpose any longer.
- @7:30 I would better understand a sustained bass here, like what comes in a little later.

Besides all that I like the track a lot. Well crafted and very listenable. :tu:
I need to think about this :)

The melody line was conceived fairly early on during the writing of this, with the intro/outro sections being a key part of that structure. It might seem a little strange or empty without that synthline.

Your point about the synth-bass coming in at 3:30 has confused me. I have it entering at 2:42. Was that a typo?

I might try a more minimal version of this at the weekend when I should have some time to play.

Thanks very much for listenng and commenting, annode. Glad you liked it :)

annode wrote:This thread has seen plenty of activity, and without reading it all i`m sure it is all positive. That`s were I come in. My views include a more critical bent.
So, I think I can add something that may not have been expressed.
- The intro synth melody I feel was not only unnecessary it distracted from the beauty of that opening, which was really cool.[up to 2:10]
- @about 3:30 the synth-bass comes in. As i`m listening I imagine it not being there and i`m liking it better for just it`s pads imagery.
- @ 4:19 the bass adds with melodic-line synth. This totally works for me and justifies the bass. Leaving the bass out until this point improves it for me.
- The melody synth @5:54 sounds absolutely appropriate here as a transitioning character. @6:06 i`m not sure about it purpose any longer.
- @7:30 I would better understand a sustained bass here, like what comes in a little later.

Besides all that I like the track a lot. Well crafted and very listenable. :tu:
Seismic in quotes;
I need to think about this :)
It would take less then 7mins to add automation into the places I suggested muting.
The melody line was conceived fairly early on during the writing of this, with the intro/outro sections being a key part of that structure. It might seem a little strange or empty without that synthline.
Well, I think i`m not hearing it like that.I can`t change it here so I can`t be sure. You can try the suggestions to be sure, doing it is not a big deal. I always try to keep an open mind considering that others hear it with fresh ears.
Your point about the synth-bass coming in at 3:30 has confused me. I have it entering at 2:42. Was that a typo?
Yes. I should have written "a synth-bass at about 3:30" instead of the bass.
Next I wrote;
Muting that synth-bass between 3:30 - 4:19.
I might try a more minimal version of this at the weekend when I should have some time to play.
Sounds good... Whatever you end up doing is fine with me. I gave some critical feedback, I don`t expect anything in return.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Allomerus wrote:Back for another Listen Tim. Just perfect for a cold rainy morning here. It has a calm yet uplifting character to it. :)
Thanks very much for your persistence, John. I fear it may be further tested soon :wink: I should be uploading a slightly rejigged, more minimal version of this later today. I hope your weather has improved.

Zeus117 wrote:This track is awesome!
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Zeus117. Glad you liked it :)

annode wrote: Sounds good... Whatever you end up doing is fine with me. I gave some critical feedback, I don`t expect anything in return.
Here is a remixed, slightly more minimal version of Parallax - Paradromic:-

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/paradromic

I took most of your suggestions, and made a few other small changes.

Thanks for posting this Seismic. That was generous of you.
Breaking it down seems to have produced a positive result I think. This version is sort of in an ambient/uptempo beat genre. All the suggestions have been satisfied and more.
Noticed you also removed a drum part/section and nicely edited down the tube-marimbaish part @1:06.
It`s found a new face. :D
Again, that was nice of you to do this. :hug:
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

seismic1 wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:Very nice changes and orchestration with just enough mystery.

I like the space been the parts, it takes discipline to pull that off.

Gets nicely Vangelis-ish near the end.

Very nice, reminds of Ozric Tentacles at their best.
Lately I seem to have developed a predilection for using pads with a vocal character in my tracks. I think the "soft" qualities associated with these sounds helps to maintain the space that your refer to. I think I've also been using less instrument instances over the last year or so, and my mixing technique seems to be a better fit here. I also have a bigger selection of reverb/delay FX available, so I'm spoilt for choice in that department. I really like the 2C reverbs on this more "ambient" sounding stuff, and REFLEXplus is a wonderful tool too.

Thanks very much for the wonderful comments, PatchAdamz. Glad you liked it :)

It is musical and production growth.

More space, less clutter = most listener accessibility.

Again, nice job.
Thanks again for the great comments :) I fear it's going to be much harder to maintain that sparseness/space in my regular Electroprog infused techno. Let's see what happens.

I think your ideas are progressing nicely, I have faith that your "sparseness/space" in you Electroprog will be equally tasty.

you know the key, hard work.....

Its great to see your dedication and perseverance.

Always moving forward... :)

seismic1 wrote: Here is a remixed, slightly more minimal version of Parallax - Paradromic
I prefer the original version. I think the kick drum at 1:38 sounds a bit odd on its own. Like it is supporting a more complex part that was muted.

Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote: Here is a remixed, slightly more minimal version of Parallax - Paradromic
I prefer the original version. I think the kick drum at 1:38 sounds a bit odd on its own. Like it is supporting a more complex part that was muted.
agree with Frantz. the original gets my vote. i would have minimized the kick to a note every other beat of the measure at 1:38 on the new version.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I often get fidgety when listening to long tracks, but in this case I found there was plenty to hold my interest whilst maintaining continuity.
Very enjoyable, and I thought rather Vangelis-ish :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I liked both versions, but preferred the first. Very prog, very cinematic, just great stuff!

And it's nice to hear a lot of different ideas and timbres all inter-relating without things feeling cluttered (something I have a problem with sometimes).

Congrats :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

ChamMusic wrote:As I mentioned on SC, this really does ebb and flow very effectively - all the changes are very well timed for me.

On this extra listen, I particularly like the various combinations of timbres - always clear in the mix and well balanced in terms of frequency content....hell, they just work! :0)

What also grabs me is a strong sense of journey - travelling somewhere and the returning home.
Thanks very much for revisiting this one and for the comments, Mark. Glad you still like it :D

This was my first serious attempt to use Z3ta+2 in a complete track, and I think that these sounds do tend to sit together well in the mix. It was just a matter of getting the right combination. Working with a reduced soundset helped too.

I suppose the lead synth motif is mainly responsible for the outward/return journey vibes. That was the idea behind its placement at either end of the track.

Daniel Pompougnac wrote:Very nice sound, very fine piece.
Great.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen, Daniel. Glad you enjoyed it :)

It's probably time I watched the movie again :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”