Your top 2015 synthesizer list?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apostate wrote:
sfd wrote:When I compare my list with most others here I realize that you guys are really professionals with all those very advanced and expensive synths. Myself I'm only an amateur hobbyists. In case any one wonder why I added some freebies.
Nothing wrong with freebies, I actually sold my Phoscyon because I like Venom better. I run my X16 nearly as much as my XILS 4.

True, there are freebies that are nowhere near their paid for counterparts, but more often than not you'll find a one trick pony that does that one trick fantastically well. And it seems the freebies get better all the time.
One of the greatest free synths ever made was Sonigen Modular. And Synth1 is no slouch either.

Just listen to their OSCs.

wagtunes wrote:
Apostate wrote:
sfd wrote:When I compare my list with most others here I realize that you guys are really professionals with all those very advanced and expensive synths. Myself I'm only an amateur hobbyists. In case any one wonder why I added some freebies.
Nothing wrong with freebies, I actually sold my Phoscyon because I like Venom better. I run my X16 nearly as much as my XILS 4.

True, there are freebies that are nowhere near their paid for counterparts, but more often than not you'll find a one trick pony that does that one trick fantastically well. And it seems the freebies get better all the time.
One of the greatest free synths ever made was Sonigen Modular. And Synth1 is no slouch either.

Just listen to their OSCs.
Synth1 is amazing. You could do a whole lot sonically with just that.

As to synths sounding the same...I can see the cat's point. I can't hear it, but I could see how someone could have that perspective because a synth's primary sound comes from its filter and oscillators - especially the filter. I was recently being taught to solder by a fairly big-wig guy in the hardware synth world while a modular training session was going on. And this guy stopped and said, "that's my filter he's using. I know my filter's sound anywhere."

Now, in regards to pianos...they don't all sound the same! An upright sounds different from a grand, a Yamaha sounds different than a Steinway, which is different from a Fazioli, etc. Hell, the way a piano is mic'd can cause a much different sound. But there's definitely truth behind the content, but not just the content but the playing. I could play a scale and it would sound boring, but adding just a touche of rhythmic change could actually make it sound pretty cool.

So, there's some truth to all these points. But at the end of the day, if someone wants to use some lesser known stuff, good on ya. And if someone wants to use some more popular synths, good on ya. Just make the best music you can and everyone's happy.

MarlaPodolski wrote:Reading most of the lists here explains perfectly why so many members here and why so much new music containing synths sounds so SAME-Y, so boringly alike..
So I guess you listen to "so many members here?"
Last edited by Gonga on Sun May 31, 2015 3:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

I read a Japanese book on reducing clutter that said the key is to keep only those things that "evoke joy." That works for me. Some 'outdated' synths give me a great feeling with every sound (eg Tassman, Rhino, Alchemy), while new synths that are truly outstanding achievements (eg Serum, Omnisphere, PPG Wavemapper) leave my heart unmoved even though I really want them (especially Wavemapper!) I am sure it is exactly the opposite with other people.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:I read a best-selling (1.5M sold) Japanese book on reducing clutter. The author Marie Kondo says the key is to only keep those things that "evoke joy." I use that to guide my synth choices.
:tu: :clap:

What I like about reducing clutter is that it is not just a physical thing...

I find that it leads to clearer thinking and greater creativity...

The long lists of VST and Soft synths are a bit of a wank really :wink:

I prefer the 80-20 approach...
No auto tune...

Double Post...
Last edited by digitalboytn on Sun May 31, 2015 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

My top 2015 synths? I don't even own that many! :party:
A well-behaved signature.

got updated this year:
Charlatan
PG8X
OXE

the rest of my CPU light babies:
M1
Z3ta+
Dune BE
Synth1
OBXD
PlastiCZ
MicroTera
Curve v0.5b
RMiV
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Minibrute! Hardware for software prices,(£240 +VAT) no cpu hit, one knob per function ;-)

Serum was the best for me, just love the interface and workflow and it is just getting better and better with the updates (last beta update added text to speach wavetable!)

Omni2 is deep and sounds pretty amazing, but I can't honestly say I clicked with the workflow, everything is buried in tabs and pages....the entire GUI is a bit dated realy.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Ace
Bazille
Cycle
Dune2
Electra2
Harmor
Zebra2

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Let me touch on the whole "synths sounding the same" argument.

You really have to dive into sound design to see that they don't. Make about 250-350 patches for a particular synth day after day for a month and then when you're done, start working on another synth.

It will stun you to hear how different they sound and how frustrating it can be to get certain sounds out of synth B that were so easy with synth A. I am having that problem right now programming a library for Blue II after just finishing one for Omni 2. Trust me, those synths sound nothing alike. Each one excels at something above the other.

And I have found this to be true for the 8 libraries I have done so far, with Z3ta+2 and Dune 2 really showing me how different synths can sound.

The reason people don't hear it is because they're not trained to hear it. Everything becomes more or less a blur to them and I blame that on the music, not the synths. And that's simply because a lot of people are TRYING to sound the same in order to conform to the sound that they think the public wants to hear.

In other words, blame the musicians, not the synths.

Regarding thigs sounding the same.
To some extent I think that's true.

All those threads, questions, requests and devotion to the sounds of the past - the 80s ( for instance) tells us something about that.

As well as the remarks of "typhical" sounds of a certian era.

If Roland, Moog et cetera is the answer on "how to sound like tha tera", Perhaps Diva, Dune et cetera is teh answer of teh queztion on "how to sound like" another era or style.

I beleive there's a point in there...to some extent at least.

1. Omnisphere 2
2. Diva
3. Serum

Return to “Instruments”