The Truth Behind Amp Modelers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lfm wrote:
Codestation wrote:I hate every amp sim except the axe fx. Which I love. I have been converted into the cult.
May I ask - is it FX or FX II?

Do they offer hardware upgrades at reasonable cost when they shift to a new hardware generation?

Thanks.
AxeFX II (XL+ version)
I don't think they offer upgrades.
Of course I also have a tube amp, but its "business channel" has a sweet spot that is just too loud to deal with. AxeFX solved that problem much better than I expected. And isn't noisy. Every high gain amp sim I've ever tried just has no feel, and too much noise.

Everybody's MMV

Codestation wrote:
lfm wrote:
Codestation wrote:I hate every amp sim except the axe fx. Which I love. I have been converted into the cult.
May I ask - is it FX or FX II?

Do they offer hardware upgrades at reasonable cost when they shift to a new hardware generation?

Thanks.
AxeFX II (XL+ version)
I don't think they offer upgrades.
Of course I also have a tube amp, but its "business channel" has a sweet spot that is just too loud to deal with. AxeFX solved that problem much better than I expected. And isn't noisy. Every high gain amp sim I've ever tried just has no feel, and too much noise.

Everybody's MMV
Thanks.
Yes, finding the sweet spot of tube amps is the difficult part - and why all these tube preamps and emulations have been developed.

The most famous amp guru in sweden, Folkesson, make mods that incorporate also a small power tube stage into preamp section, not to loose out on that distortion at any level. And make single/double channel amps four channels etc - to switch between setups easily.

But having presets is hard to beat, very convenient.

Dweezil was one guest on latest http://PensadosPlace.tv and real cool intro with killer tone he made to the show for this episode. He is in about the last 20 minutes or so.

Had a look at Dweezil Zappa gear and found this:
http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/pages/guitar-rig

Just about every rig he used over his career, with diagrams and a couple AxeFx as well.

Keep it simple
- yeah, right

one can only wish.

lfm wrote:Dweezil was one guest on latest http://PensadosPlace.tv and real cool intro with killer tone he made to the show for this episode. He is in about the last 20 minutes or so.

Had a look at Dweezil Zappa gear and found this:
http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/pages/guitar-rig

Just about every rig he used over his career, with diagrams and a couple AxeFx as well.

Keep it simple
- yeah, right

one can only wish.
Dweezil is a tone whore. :D

He had Peavey make this thing for him:

Now, don't get me wrong.. the Transtube tech is *still* hard to top. I just picked up an XXL recently and it's got some great tones in it.. but the Wiggy was more of something to look at than use.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Dominus wrote: Now, don't get me wrong.. the Transtube tech is *still* hard to top. I just picked up an XXL recently and it's got some great tones in it.. but the Wiggy was more of something to look at than use.
Had a bandit 15 years ago, very good to use with pedals.
In the 70's I had some Peavey model with solid state preamp, and tube poweramp(2xkt88) and two 12" black widow speakers. This I consider the best I ever had while gigging days - incredible sound and versatile. No idea what the model was, looked like bandit a bit with panel on front and had footswitch for phaser. I think it came with BW speakers 1976-77 something.

What Dweezil did on that page, I never saw any other artist do - really cool.
If he is whoring, we can do less so - if learning a bit.
:)

I see this problem with plugins in general. There is so much out there, so much to choose from and so much to want.

I went GTR and although, it could do with a facelift, it is still pretty amazing and has a lot of usable amp tones either based on boutique or custom models. You can't reposition the mics, but I don't miss that. I find their mic choice and positioning quite good. Well, you do have on and off axis, plus you have an Air control that allows you to introduce more space between the mic and the cabinet.

Yeah there's a lot of other good stuff out there, but for the same reason as is mentioned here I stuck with GTR, just so I won't be spoilt for choice.

Logic did later introduce its own Amp Designer, so I have since used that to compliment my tone, many times I will opt for GTR though.

After all, how will I get my money's worth it I keep buying different emulations to use, wouldn't a lot of that spending just be redundant and better to put toward other things?!?!

The tech 21 hot plexi does not have the speaker compensation.

The ua/softube marshal sounds goodhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2sYrrvAPmo

The elevan rack is $699. You can use it without the computer.

Return to “Effects”