Studio One 3 - Presence XT

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

murnau wrote:Hmm.. i have to ask: How is the import of the EXS24 instruments? Which values are retained after import? I can't imagine a 1:1 conversion.
Sorry to bump my own post.. :oops:

Anyone?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:
murnau wrote:Hmm.. i have to ask: How is the import of the EXS24 instruments? Which values are retained after import? I can't imagine a 1:1 conversion.
Sorry to bump my own post.. :oops:

Anyone?
I've sent PreSonus a message asking, and haven't heard back yet. I might post to the forums to see if anyone there can answer.

Where is Lawrence and his big brain on this one when we need him??
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Thanx for answering Bill. Maybe there are already hearable differences anyway but certainly it's good to know which values really retained after an import. Looking forward to the answer you hopefully get.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

LawrenceF wrote:Yep. If you want Kontakt, buy Kontakt. :shrug:

You should probably buy a DAW for everything else it does that Kontakt doesn't do, not because it's bundled sounds may or may not be subjectively equivalent in the view of some others. That is to say, it's a really great thing that they "upped" the instrument quality in v3, but that's just "added value" for people who might use those sounds and might have bought it anyway, not really (imo, mmv) even a top-10 reason to spend $400 on an audio workstation.

I mean, nobody (I hope) buys Cubase for it's bundled instruments, they buy it for everything else it does and any usable instruments are just a bonus.

On the other hand, another person on a budget who can't afford both S1 Pro & Kontakt or Halion might do very well with the Presence XT sounds. Most people actually aren't making records or competing with Dr. Dre.

If you're working and actually *need* great sounds, the top end of third party market blows all of it away.
Just to clarify(in case it slipped your mind)...I do have S1 v2 and I like it fine the way it is....but I thought that having Presence XT,might make things easier,in terms of Kontakt installation & tech support.
Even if there was a vast library available in K4 format for Presence XT...I would always wonder what I'd be missing in Kontakt 5.
The fact of the matter is,that nothing sits better in a mix & is more inspirational than Kontakt sounds...but one thing that really bother me,is that Kontakt 5 is not available as a stand-alone purchase at any music retailer...so I have no choice but to buy from NI directly(so I won't have any additional tech support from Sweetwater.)

Whenever S1 v3 goes on sale,I will probably buy it...but Kontakt 5 takes precedence over everything else right now.

LawrenceF wrote:... another person on a budget who can't afford both S1 Pro & Kontakt or Halion might do very well with the Presence XT sounds.
This!
------------
...and that's all I have to say about it!

AlesisVi61 wrote:Whenever S1 v3 goes on sale,I will probably buy it...but Kontakt 5 takes precedence over everything else right now.
Makes perfect sense, thanks.

It might be awhile before there's any good sales for v3, with it being so new, but I obviously don't know that for sure. But yeah, if there's no pressing need or temptation, waiting for a sale and saving some money is always a good idea imo.

You obviously aren't one of those guys who just "has" to have the new thing right away or die. :hihi: (that's a compliment btw)

And of course, you can still make great music in v2. Nobody actually needs the latest greatest thing to make music. :tu:

LawrenceF wrote:
And of course, you can still make great music in v2. Nobody actually needs the latest greatest thing to make music. :tu:
Right...but it's been a few years since I've had NI K6 to work with and I don't currently have anything in my arsenal,that comes close to even Kontakt 4's quality.
Sampletank 3's quality has improved..but only marginally & I suspect that S1's v3 update would not fair any better.
I can't even begin to tell you,how incredibly frustrating it is to write cinematic pieces,with only Sonic Realty and ST3 to work with! :cry: :scared: :roll: :x

Yeah...I can still make great music(provided that it doesn't require any orchestral ensembles!)

What I'm most curious about is Halion, the full Halion.

Kontakt is the defacto standard it seems and when I was looking for something to supplement it's stock sound weaknesses, I really liked the Mach 5 demos and they had a nice crossgrade offer going so I grabbed if for $230 or something like that, i like it a lot. It's main large instruments are great and the supporting stuff 'aint bad either and the sound fx are a nice bonus.

It kinda bites where Kontakt does better and vice versa, stock sound wise I mean, so they compliment each other pretty well.

I never really hear anyone talk about Halion though. Does anyone here even own it?

LawrenceF wrote:What I'm most curious about is Halion, the full Halion.

Kontakt is the defacto standard it seems and when I was looking for simething to supplement it's stock weaknesses I really liked the Mach 5 demos and they had a nice crossgrade offer going so I grabbed if for $230 or something like that, i like it a lot. It's main large instruments are great and the supporting stuff 'aint bad either.

I never really hear anyone talk about Halion though. Does anyone here even own it?
Have you heard Simon's work with HAlion? Amazing.

http://www.patchpool.de/halion_aureus_ventus.html
Bitwig Certified Trainer

LawrenceF wrote:Nobody actually needs the latest greatest thing to make music. :tu:
So true - my Strat is 28 years old and it still sounds great :D

As to the topic though:

Presence XT is just a glorified soundfont player with the ability to load a couple of extra formats. Which is fine, if that's all that's needed. I have no idea about the new 12gb of content as I don't have it (demoing V3), so I can't comment. But then I usually tend to "roll my own" when it comes to samples, and for this nothing beats Kontakt. I certainly wouldn't go for V3 because of the extra content. Also, anything I make in Kontakt 5 won't load into Presence anyway.

Personally, I think Presonus should have turned Presence into a proper sampler which can load wav/aif, has mapping & zones, layers/splits AND more than one stereo out. This would have been more meaningful than 12 gigs of content that I can't even try.

Even the free TX16Wx offers more real sampler functionality than Presence XT.

Just my opinion :wink:

I agree with you Andy, it's essentially a sample player.

Will they, in the future, add an editor or similar capability where you can load and edit and create your own sounds with it? No idea, but it's possible I would guess.

The thing to remember is that development is a process and that what a thing is right now isn't necessarily what it will be in the future so, yes, here's hoping they keep "improving it", maybe along the lines you speak of above. :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”