Hollyhock II is a tinkerer's dream...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Usine Usine Hollyhock

There is a setting you can use to de-couple the audio engine start from the 'timeline' start (big red arrow on the left being audio engine, the smaller arrow near the BPM input being the 'timeline' start .)

@imprint: Ah, great you figured it out! :tu:
Yeah, all the flexibility creates an initial threshold. You need to "unlearn" some things you take as a given and get into a rather different kind of mindset. Like you can for instance put a limiter directly into the output devices when you open them as patches or build your own surround devices with custom channel order or use the internal bus system to send data around racks etc...

But if it clicks for you it's bliss :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I keep reviewing HH to see if its for me, and every time I do, it takes a bit of time to get back into its mindset...
(Im a developer, and usually really quick at picking up new UI metaphors... but still HH baffles me at times )

I think 'unconventional' would be being nice, 'inconsistent with established UI models' would be perhaps the other side :)

Im sure there are good reasons for the UI model, perhaps it makes it easier - but I suspect it really hurts sales, I know a few people that have tried it (that also know max/reactor/bidule etc) , and just given up before they get to all the 'goodies'.

Id be interested to hear from the regular users... does the breaking of UI conventions actually bring a real benefit e.g. make it easier/quicker to use?

examples,Im thinking of are... the way it splits windows, its toolbar modes... lack of menus... and other things that are hard to put your finger on, but are just 'different'

don't get me wrong, I like HH, and the only reason Ive not got bought it yet, is Im unsure what it buys me over Max/M4L+Live etc,
but I think its a nice product.... just a bizarre UI :)

Mark

@the technobear Had the same experience with MetaSynth,which is a very different kind of tool. MetaSynth is wicked powerful but the UI is challenging. Actually like to work in MetaSynth but get so caught up in trying to figure out how it works, I forget to make music...so I've never made the leap from demo to customer.

Regarding HH2 I'll see how it goes. Now that a major obstacle is out of the way, I'll see if it becomes more intuitive as I go along...This would be a great piece of software to have some very short tutorial videos with tight learning objectives like Numerology has on You Tube or the FiveTwelve forum. Actually thinking combining Usine with Numerology has some potential...

Wish it had a 64 bit build on Mac...

The new manual is really helpful. I'd bounced off Usine several times before HH2. This time I meticulously went through the manual - it took me a few days but it taught me enough concepts to start tinkering on my own and now I love it.

Metasynth is a pretty good comparison... I remember not even being able to make sound happen with that until I found the right tutorial.

And yes Numerology works pretty well in it - I've been using it to send MIDI via a bus internally and also send CV out.

Renoise Redux is my favourite new Audio Unit for Usine... I feel like so much is possible I'm not sure where to start! :)

I'll check out the manual, perhaps it will 'turn the lightbulb on'

yeah, videos like Numerology would be good
also perhaps some simpler example projects/racks... the ones included are really good, but not the easiest to learn from.

also I think it could do a bit more defaulting...
plugins - DAWs/N4/Max all scan for your plugins automatically... but HH doesn't, your just given a blank panel... and expect to scan manually, ok once you know, but if your wandering around looking for your plugin list its not immediately obvious.
consistency - why are devices in a dedicated popup and not in the browser? (with plugins/modules)

Im giving it a bit more of a go this time, perhaps this time it will stick :)

I always wished Reaktor could load VST and had a scripting language for automating array type tasks that were not well suited to its object language.

This thing is amazing :love:
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

A quick post to thanks you all for your enthusiasm and your kind words about our work !
And If you miss it , we recently add a new feature to improve your patching, the SHIFT+CTRL shortcut when creating wires now create automatically all the wires needed, here a quick example :

https://youtu.be/cDqoYdBkHyM
Last edited by nay-seven on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nay-seven wrote:SHIT+CTRL
:hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

:D humm, hé hé, sorry

edited

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”