Hollyhock II is a tinkerer's dream...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Usine Usine Hollyhock

Am I wrong in thinking that Usine is a bit like Mulab ?

Numanoid wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that Usine is a bit like Mulab ?
It isn't a DAW. It is more a real-time performance environment like Ableton session page or Mainstage.
It has the modular underbelly like MuLab but from my experience with both (admittedly fairly limited with Mulab) I'd say Usine has substantially more modules.
I think Usine is more broadly specced towards live experimental music, like Max/MSP, Audiomulch and Reaktor. Mulab is a simplified DAW for electronic music, like a cross between Garageband and Reason perhaps?

tanabarbier wrote: This is a set a made with Usine (and a moogerfooger pedal), live improvisation:
https://soundcloud.com/toomuchofthat/live-set
That was a very nice impro set :clap:
Thanks for the listen.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

secretkillerofnames wrote:Mulab is a simplified DAW
MuLab is simple only at the surface; it has a nested structure of modules within modules, while touchscreen/performance software must be visible.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

I'm putting in the same "DAW" category as Renoise, as it is crazy cool and inspiring for artists, but not so useful for cleaning up audio from someone's marriage.

MuLab is really cool too IMO, it is my shopping wishlist. (But Usine overtook it...)

i'm on the fence w/it. i've yet to fall in love w/it. the interface isn't jelling with me.. yet. and i've got to work out some pops and clicks in audio. probably just buffer settings.

i'm hoping once i learn it more i'll have more luck with it. maybe i just haven't found the right way for me to use it

I downloaded HH Friday and it looks phenomenal. I played around building different patches and so forth - pretty deep tool!.

Yet, can't for the life of me figure out how to get a plug in to load. All my devices load and are visible in the device screen. When I load a device, like my Axiom 49 Pro, and strike a key, HH "sees" the key strike via the cpu meter.

All my plugs ins are visible in the browser. I can load them and clear patch just fine.

But when I put both a device and plug-in in a rack, I get silence...

imprint wrote:I downloaded HH Friday and it looks phenomenal. I played around building different patches and so forth - pretty deep tool!.

Yet, can't for the life of me figure out how to get a plug in to load. All my devices load and are visible in the device screen. When I load a device, like my Axiom 49 Pro, and strike a key, HH "sees" the key strike via the cpu meter.

All my plugs ins are visible in the browser. I can load them and clear patch just fine.

Depending on how the device is added to the rack, you will need to wire the MIDI in connection and the Audio out connections. You will do that in the patch editor.

Also make sure that the correct your Audio out device patch has the correct connections. For instance, I have mine re-wried to AN 1-2, rather than Main 1-2.

Interesting gui. I wonder if all daws will look sort of like that when they are optimized for oled screens?

I'd very much like to give this a go- but I haven't been able to get audio out of the demo yet.. set it to my Saffire ASIO, and nothing.
I saw on the site where it says to send the logfile to them (if quitting, then restarting HH2 doesn't mysteriously solve the issue) and did so- but no response as of yet (2 days).

Seems to be a not-so-uncommon issue, considering how it was addressed on the site- I hope I hear something soon, would love to give HH2 a whirl!
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

ceasless wrote:
imprint wrote:I downloaded HH Friday and it looks phenomenal. I played around building different patches and so forth - pretty deep tool!.

Depending on how the device is added to the rack, you will need to wire the MIDI in connection and the Audio out connections. You will do that in the patch editor.

Also make sure that the correct your Audio out device patch has the correct connections. For instance, I have mine re-wried to AN 1-2, rather than Main 1-2.
Still no luck - and on two separate systems, both Mac OSX Yosemite. But maybe I've found something that can be a clue as to my inability to get it going.

Step by Step

I add the device (Axiom keyboard) to the input area. Opening the workspace window confirms, it's receiving midi whenever I push a key or pad on the Axiom. The wiring also leads to a module that says "MIDI to Usine" Perfect.

I add a synth (Free Alpha) to the Patch area using the first option "Clear Patch and open...etc." I've tried both options for adding but the manual seems to indicate the first one is typical. In either case....Silence. But to continue, using that first option, when opening the workspace for the patch, I see all the wiring. There is a module that says Midi In that is wired to Free Alpha. When I open that module, it says on the settings No Midi...and it's fixed...no selecting another state. I'm thinking this is where the issue is?

One other thing of note - I haven't figured out how to react to all the light indicator next to device/modules. They seem to be on/off and are typically green, yellow or red. Green and red I get, on/off. When I add the FreeAlpha, I do notice that the indicator is yellow....

Am I clueless?

@ccDucket: I am using it with a Scarlett 18i20 ASIO with no problems (I use the latest betadriver from Focusrite).
- Did you try the example workspaces or your own?
- Did you enable the in- and outputs you want to use in the preferences (sorry, have to ask ;-) )?
- Do you have other software running at the same time that may block the audio interface?
- Did you start the audio engine (red triangle on top)?
- Do your racks have existing In- and Outputs defined (drag and drop from the "devices" panel)?
Sorry if all of this is obvious and you tried it already... ;-)

@Imprint: Maybe show a screenshot of what you have?
Make sure you have an input as well as an (existing) output per rack. Since you have audio from Usine with factory workspaces I can only imagine it being a routing problem... ?

But yeah, Usine can need a bit of getting used to ;-)
Quite some original concepts and options.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

@ccDucket: I am using it with a Scarlett 18i20 ASIO with no problems (I use the latest betadriver from Focusrite).
- Did you enable the in- and outputs you want to use in the preferences (sorry, have to ask ;-) )?
- Do you have other software running at the same time that may block the audio interface?
- Do your racks have existing In- and Outputs defined (drag and drop from the "devices" panel)?
Thanks for the reply Tom, and though the answer is "Yes, I've tried all of those" I still appreciate the effort to help; often it is overlooking the obvious that's the problem ;)
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

ccDuckett wrote:Thanks for the reply Tom, and though the answer is "Yes, I've tried all of those" I still appreciate the effort to help; often it is overlooking the obvious that's the problem ;)
Ah - too bad. I find it always so frustrating if this happens. When I worked for Bitwig it was the most-hated problem for me, when people were unable to even try the demo simply because somehow the audio interface would refuse to work for them, even though others with the same or similar hardware didn't have the problem.
I would definitely file a bug report, they fixed several such problems in the past rather quickly.
http://www.sensomusic.org/support/

I hope you can find a solution!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:@ccDucket: I am using it with a Scarlett 18i20 ASIO with no problems (I use the latest betadriver from Focusrite).

@Imprint: Maybe show a screenshot of what you have?
Make sure you have an input as well as an (existing) output per rack. Since you have audio from Usine with factory workspaces I can only imagine it being a routing problem... ?

But yeah, Usine can need a bit of getting used to ;-)
Quite some original concepts and options.

Cheers,

Tom
Think I found the answer with your help and some reverse engineering.

First I built a patch with DIVA loaded using the "in the patch" option. Double clicked to open DIVA in the patch view (not the typical DIVA interface). Then selected MIDI input of DIVA and dragged out a 'cable' to see what options Usine suggested (a great little feature by the way). After a few trial attempts with various modules, I selected the piano roll. Put some random notes on the piano roll and hit play ("small red triangle")and the sound came through just fine. So the audio routing was good.

Deleted that rack and built a new one, adding midi input device (Axiom - which I had to turn back on in the MIDI settings for whatever reason), then added DIVA using the "Clear patch and open..." option. Hit the "big red triangle" (upper left in the Usine interface) which apparently toggles the Audio Engine to on, and it worked. I haven't yet figured how to turn on the Audio Engine in a paused mode....it's easy enough to pause after you get it going though.

So lesson learned: racks apparently do not automatically 'arm' as they do in something like Logic. You have to select play (small triangle) and/or the Audio Engine (which also triggers 'play).

Whew. Now that I've solved that, on to discovering all the Pandora's box that this beastie appears to be...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”