Ardour 4.0 released (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:
fedexnman wrote:To me it is well worth a $1 to demo .
Yeah, it's not the $1, a dollar is nothing. It's more just the relative hassle of pulling out my credit card to pay a dollar just for that, when I'm not yet sure I actually want to own it.

But yeah, the dollar itself is pretty insignificant, a Mars bar. :hihi:

I fully understand why they aren't just directly giving it away anymore, that's a lot of work and I suppose if they stop getting any financial support they'll maybe stop working on it.
Yes Sir .. I've been impressed with Ardour since v2 , things didn't work quite right in V3 for me but it looks as if v4 maybe very promising . There are other software out there that won't let u demo without ilok as well as some that hiss at you and some where you can't render or save or time out on u , Reapers nag screen ain't bad but I wonder how many are not paying ? Shame really , I personally rather pay a $1 to demo something than to go thru all those hoops and if I find myself using it over other host just hit up the paypal button on the Ardour website .... Seems like Paul Davis (dawhead) has listened to alot of users wants and has worked really hard on this project as well as others that have helped him out too . I had trouble with my firewire audio interface dropping out on V3 but it maybe due to the Linux distro I was using and me not getting things tweaked right , but at the same time Ardour 2 was working good without system tweaks? . :dog: There are only a few plugins that keep me from the big switch to Linux , one being the Glue plugin , I still have not found a Linux replacement for that compressor yet and also a better dedicated sampler , looks like Renoise Redux will fill that spot once released . So this is very exciting news , that Ardour 4 is out and so solid especially for Windows users even if your not fully supported ..

Yeah. I've never done anything midi in Ardour (I own MixBus) so no idea where all that's going or how well it even works there.

Sometimes (depending on who or what you are, see Cubase) it's really good to be good at multiple things and sometimes it's really good to be great at one or two things, depending on who's buying and/or who you want to buy and use it. Adobe Audition figured that out and went back to what it was, a great audio editor.

I have to give Bitwig much credit for that too. It knows what it is and it's not trying to be anything else. Some others haven't really made up their minds yet. :)

Thanks for the hint, whyterabbyt

Really impressive. Moving away from JACK(brainchild of Paul Davis), using VST, and compiling on windows are really big departures from the original approach. Very welcome.

urlwolf wrote:Really impressive. Moving away from JACK(brainchild of Paul Davis), using VST, and compiling on windows are really big departures from the original approach. Very welcome.
JACK was originally the internal audio engine of Ardour. And we've supported VST in various forms for more than 7 years. And we've been able to run on Windows in some way for 9 years (since Tim Mayberry finished the Google Summer of Code project that kicked off Windows support).

So not really big departures, more like a steady, slow build.

Perhaps a very silly question but if I was to install the windows version will it, in any way, conflict with my Harrison Mixbus installation (as it uses the same engine)? I'm a bit of a worry guts with this kind of thing. I'm very, very interested (and excited) in it coming to windows.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:Perhaps a very silly question but if I was to install the windows version will it, in any way, conflict with my Harrison Mixbus installation (as it uses the same engine)? I'm a bit of a worry guts with this kind of thing. I'm very, very interested (and excited) in it coming to windows.
All versions of Ardour downloaded from ardour.org can be parallel-installed with each other and with Mixbus (and with Tracks Live). We even allow you to have both the optimized and debug builds parallel installed, in case you are willing to help us debug issues.

The only complication there is that both Mixbus 2 and Ardour 2 use the configuration/preferences folder, but their files are compatible with each other - it just means you end up sharing preferences there. But ... nobody in their right mind should be using Ardour 2 at this point.

If you get Ardour from elsewhere, then the situation is undefined.

dawhead wrote:
Lump wrote:Hehe, I remember when Paul Davis (Main Dev) told me (years ago), that Ardour will never work in Windows because of Posix and he will eat his hat when it will do. Did the hat was delicious, Paul?
I said that about JACK, not Ardour.
But there is a port for JACK on Windows? Did you eat your hat?
dawhead wrote:
Lump wrote: Ah and he told me many things about the advantage of JACK and the modularity of Unix apps... and that VST support will never be part of Ardour, because of the free, modular and pure architecture of this DAW .
I may have revised my opinions about monolithic applications, but I never would have explained the lack of VST support in the past based on this reason. VST support was (and in some respects still is) a problem because of Steinberg's stupid licensing of the VST API.
Thank you for clarifying this. Nice that you're mind is still open for let things change. Ardour for Windows is I believe a big step for the acceptance of the "masses".

But still I can't realize: Ardour with internal audioengine, VST support and for 3 OS platforms. A really big step!

congratulations!
[del]AudioLinux sucks.[/del]

Windows is a big deal for me. I have two PC running Fedora20 (Linux), but it's a pain trying to remember how to do anything on them. Simply downloading and installing a program is a nightmare.

clintmartin wrote:Windows is a big deal for me. I have two PC running Fedora20 (Linux), but it's a pain trying to remember how to do anything on them. Simply downloading and installing a program is a nightmare.
you mean "yum install ardour4" or its graphical equivalent?

It says "no package found". It's downloaded...I guess I need to set up repositories and who knows what. I have to read a freaking book everytime I try to do anything in Fedora. Ardour 4 is looking great. I'm thrilled I can finally use it in Windows.

I can testify that it's just a matter of education. My kids only have Linux at home and they don't complain about it. All of their friends use windows, so they thought their father was ill-minded but when they tried windows pc, they just said :"hey, but it's exactly the same..." If you spend the same time on Linux than you spent learning windows, you will find yourself like King Carrot.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

I'm not trying to knock Linux...I just want to work at my daw. I don't want to spend my time learning a new OS just so I can do the same thing I'm doing now. I do have two PCs with Fedora and I sometimes play around with them, but when I get time to record I just want to do that so I need something I understand. My Fedora PCs are not suitable for music production anyway.

Linux for basic computer stuff , ex internet email YouTube typing a paper , its easy to use . DAW and getting your system stable and audio interface working is another thing though , 4 letter words are used by me regularly .

dawhead wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:Perhaps a very silly question but if I was to install the windows version will it, in any way, conflict with my Harrison Mixbus installation (as it uses the same engine)? I'm a bit of a worry guts with this kind of thing. I'm very, very interested (and excited) in it coming to windows.
All versions of Ardour downloaded from ardour.org can be parallel-installed with each other and with Mixbus (and with Tracks Live). We even allow you to have both the optimized and debug builds parallel installed, in case you are willing to help us debug issues.

The only complication there is that both Mixbus 2 and Ardour 2 use the configuration/preferences folder, but their files are compatible with each other - it just means you end up sharing preferences there. But ... nobody in their right mind should be using Ardour 2 at this point.

If you get Ardour from elsewhere, then the situation is undefined.
Many thanks for the clarification :)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”