Ardour 4.0 released (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote:Does this mean Harrison Mixbus will be upgraded too?
Mixbus 3 will be announced soon, so I am told. Don't ask me for more details on what "soon" means, because I don't know.

dawhead wrote:
fmr wrote:Does this mean Harrison Mixbus will be upgraded too?
Mixbus 3 will be announced soon, so I am told. Don't ask me for more details on what "soon" means, because I don't know.
I really hope it's soon. Last update was 1 year ago and i paid for a program that crashes with 30% of the vst plugins. I hopefully expect them to fix this once and for all and that the update will be free since i paid for something that doesn't work as expected.

scalawag wrote: I really hope it's soon. Last update was 1 year ago and i paid for a program that crashes with 30% of the vst plugins. I hopefully expect them to fix this once and for all and that the update will be free since i paid for something that doesn't work as expected.
I am not responsible for Mixbus, but I certainly hope that you reported these crashes to Harrison. VST plugin support (Linux VST and Windows VST) is certainly significantly improved in Ardour 4.0.

Ardour 4 working great here! Windows 7 intel i7. My VSTs scanned in without a problem and midi works. Now it's time to dive in and learn the daw.

Is there support for multi out VST instruments such EZdrummer or other type samplers ??? Ex kick track 1 snare track 2 toms track4 etc etc . ?????

fedexnman wrote:Is there support for multi out VST instruments such EZdrummer or other type samplers ??? Ex kick track 1 snare track 2 toms track4 etc etc . ?????
Ardour supports plugins with any number of inputs or outputs. It does not support multi-bus plugins, as found in AudioUnits and possibly in VST3 (I say possibly because I'm not that familiar with VST3).

Looks nice. I went to download it and there's no demo for Windows yet. Not sure why they'd announce it as also running on Win and not put a compiled Win version on the page.

Oh, never mind. :) I found it.... http://nightly.ardour.org/

LawrenceF wrote: Not sure why they'd announce it as also running on Win and not put a compiled Win version on the page.
http://ardour.org/windows.html explains it all, and is linked directly from the download page.

Oh yeah, see the edit of my other post, I found it. :)

I have to say, I'm very highly impressed so far. If the Win version works well it will easily be (for conventional studio work anyway, tracking and mixing audio anyway) the best audio workstation deal on the planet at $1. I think v4 might be when Ardour really hit's it stride. :tu:

Very impressive, some of the things they've done there related to routing and monitoring and all that good stuff.

I'm not a fan of the PT style non-dockable mix window but they certainly do understand how conventional recording studios work, they covered all the bases. Take a slow and careful look around the mix console and monitoring options, they didn't really miss anything.

LawrenceF wrote:I'm not a fan of the PT style non-dockable mix window but they certainly do understand how conventional recording studios work, they covered all the bases.
I have a fully tabbed/dockable branch in my own development tree. Whether it ever sees the light of day has yet to be decided.

One thing I find annoying is that floating windows can't be pinned to stay on top, like the mixer and/or monitor control panel. That's kind of a nitpick though granted... but if using a single screen it can be annoying to keep having windows fall behind other windows.

The other annoying thing is the 10 minute demo, the sound cuts off. :) I'm never one to adamantly try to force my preferences on any company but that's kinda short... and I'm not going to pay $1 just to have it not stop playing audio every ten minutes while I demo. Mmv, but I'd prefer if it just always worked and maybe didn't save or something, dunno.

I may eventually have to do a YouTube with Ardour just to show some of my other DAW companies how studio monitoring and similar should be done. :tu: They nailed it.

To me it is well worth a $1 to demo .

LawrenceF wrote:The other annoying thing is the 10 minute demo, the sound cuts off. :) I'm never one to adamantly try to force my preferences on any company but that's kinda short... and I'm not going to pay $1 just to have it not stop playing audio every ten minutes while I demo. Mmv, but I'd prefer if it just always worked and maybe didn't save or something, dunno.
In previous versions of Ardour, the "free/demo" version was differentiated by not saving or restoring plugin settings. This worked well.

Except that then we wanted to get people to test stuff using nightly builds, without paying anything. It turned out that using that differentiation could cause them to accidentally lose all the plugin settings they had created with a paid-for version.

We discussed alternatives and made one firm decision: the differentiation could NOT involve anything that was related to saving/restore any session settings. For now, we settled on the silence timeout, but we may revisit that as we get more feedback. Certainly "not saving" is another option we will consider.
I may eventually have to do a YouTube with Ardour just to show some of my other DAW companies how studio monitoring and similar should be done. :tu: They nailed it.
We have lots more improvements in this area coming down the line.

dawhead wrote:I have a fully tabbed/dockable branch in my own development tree. Whether it ever sees the light of day has yet to be decided.
Yeah, you should release that puppy like... yesterday. :hihi:
We have lots more improvements in this area coming down the line.
Nice. And to be clear, I'm not knocking any other design. Companies clearly have different priorities. It's just really clear to me that the Ardour developers made a conscious and deliberate effort to get all that other stuff right. That doesn't happen by accident.

fedexnman wrote:To me it is well worth a $1 to demo .
Yeah, it's not the $1, a dollar is nothing. It's more just the relative hassle of pulling out my credit card to pay a dollar just for that, when I'm not yet sure I actually want to own it.

But yeah, the dollar itself is pretty insignificant, a Mars bar. :hihi:

I fully understand why they aren't just directly giving it away anymore, that's a lot of work and I suppose if they stop getting any financial support they'll maybe stop working on it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”