Ardour 4.0 released (Linux, Mac and Windows)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just trying to be funny , typo in the thread title . It will work on Intel and AMD on Windows ,Mac and Hackintosh and Linux .

kurviak wrote:
christianmusicmaker wrote:For $12 ($1 minimum monthly) there is quite a lot on offer for the money. Might not sway users of other DAWS immediately (or anytime soon) but there appears to be plenty on offer here for a very small outlay. Not bad at all. :wink:
$12 ($1 monthly minimum) is for one year of upgrades. You can get the current full version any time for just $1 (minimum)
Nice :)

Hehe, I remember when Paul Davis (Main Dev) told me (years ago), that Ardour will never work in Windows because of Posix and he will eat his hat when it will do. Did the hat was delicious, Paul?

Ah and he told me many things about the advantage of JACK and the modularity of Unix apps... and that VST support will never be part of Ardour, because of the free, modular and pure architecture of this DAW .

Times changing :dog:
[del]AudioLinux sucks.[/del]

Lump wrote:Hehe, I remember when Paul Davis (Main Dev) told me (years ago), that Ardour will never work in Windows because of Posix and he will eat his hat when it will do. Did the hat was delicious, Paul?

Ah and he told me many things about the advantage of JACK and the modularity of Unix apps... and that VST support will never be part of Ardour, because of the free, modular and pure architecture of this DAW .

Times changing :dog:

Well: http://ardour.org/windows.html

Still not really supported. :(
Can this thread be erased?
Im tired of the fanboys and the clueless know it alls.

pc999 wrote: Ardour now runs on GNU/Linux, OS X and for the first time, Windows.
I wonder why no specific Windows version can be downloaded from the website, even though the Windows compatibility is emphasized. All I can find on the website is a "Source Code for all platforms " version, which needs to be compiled, however. And even though my knowledge of IT and PCs is pretty good, I still wouldn't know how to compile a source code for my system.

Would it be asking too much from the Ardour support to simply place a few download-ready Windows versions (Vista, 7, 8 / 32 + 64 bits) in the download section?

Skorpius wrote:
pc999 wrote: Ardour now runs on GNU/Linux, OS X and for the first time, Windows.
I wonder why no specific Windows version can be downloaded from the website, even though the Windows compatibility is emphasized. All I can find on the website is a "Source Code for all platforms " version, which needs to be compiled, however. And even though my knowledge of IT and PCs is pretty good, I still wouldn't know how to compile a source code for my system.

Would it be asking too much from the Ardour support to simply place a few download-ready Windows versions (Vista, 7, 8 / 32 + 64 bits) in the download section?
http://ardour.org/windows.html
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Lump wrote:Hehe, I remember when Paul Davis (Main Dev) told me (years ago), that Ardour will never work in Windows because of Posix and he will eat his hat when it will do. Did the hat was delicious, Paul?
I said that about JACK, not Ardour.
I may have revised my opinions about monolithic applications, but I never would have explained the lack of VST support in the past based on this reason. VST support was (and in some respects still is) a problem because of Steinberg's stupid licensing of the VST API.

Skorpius wrote: Would it be asking too much from the Ardour support to simply place a few download-ready Windows versions (Vista, 7, 8 / 32 + 64 bits) in the download section?
Would it be asking people too much to simply scroll their browser window when they are reading http://ardour.org/download?

dawhead wrote:VST support was (and in some respects still is) a problem because of Steinberg's stupid licensing of the VST API.
You mean like it collides with your open source license?

chk071 wrote:
dawhead wrote:VST support was (and in some respects still is) a problem because of Steinberg's stupid licensing of the VST API.
You mean like it collides with your open source license?
It collides with the ability of anyone who wants to compile VST-enabled software without visiting the Steinberg web site, registering and downloading the SDK from there.

Why they don't simply allow redistribution of the header files without modification, I have no idea.

In the real world, the VST spec has now been reverse engineered by a "clean room" team, and so this is no longer a practical problem. But it is just pig-headed of Steinberg/Yamaha, and/or just the result of bureaucratic nonsense, since when I discussed it with them back in 2002 they were actually quite keen to change this. But they never did.

So, in other words, yes to my question?

chk071 wrote:So, in other words, yes to my question?
Well, I guess if by "your open source license" you mean any and all open source licenses that require that redistribution includes everything needed to build, then .. yes. But that's more than just the GPL.

Alright, got it. :)

Nice Job on Ardour 4 . Congrads . I may subscribe and try it out again .

Does this mean Harrison Mixbus will be upgraded too?
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”