JoBoMusic Flexion (new synth !!!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't think about the patches because in the teaser what I have receive, they write: Patch sharing over internet
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

wagtunes wrote:Because the implication made about Flexion was that there was going to be different options for the purchase.
2No, that makes no sense, because the prior existence or not of such a thing does not anyone from doing it.
Outside of possibly buying one version with no patches or only a few patches and another option of buying with many additional patches, i can't see what any difference can be.
Oh, Im pretty sure you can see, eg from the model of every other iOS app out there, its just that you're disingenuously refusing to admit that you can see because that would be an admission that your claim that it 'has to be complete' would be a falsehood.
So again, if somebody can show me a synth where synth X is not free and costs less than synth Y because synth Y can do more, I'll shut up.
Because if you dont have an example, then the business model proposed suddenly, erm, stays exactly the same and all your wittering on about prior examples has zero relevance whatsoever to anything.

And no, I'm not back peddling. Maybe I didn't express myself properly in my initial post. So I am clarifying what I meant now as best as I can.

Now that I have clarified, and explained why I am curious, can somebody please give me an example. Any example of a synth, not an audio processing tool, which is very common to have basic and pro versions.
Watch them goalposts move.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Because the implication made about Flexion was that there was going to be different options for the purchase.
2No, that makes no sense, because the prior existence or not of such a thing does not anyone from doing it.
Outside of possibly buying one version with no patches or only a few patches and another option of buying with many additional patches, i can't see what any difference can be.
Oh, Im pretty sure you can see, eg from the model of every other iOS app out there, its just that you're disingenuously refusing to admit that you can see because that would be an admission that your claim that it 'has to be complete' would be a falsehood.
So again, if somebody can show me a synth where synth X is not free and costs less than synth Y because synth Y can do more, I'll shut up.
Because if you dont have an example, then the business model proposed suddenly, erm, stays exactly the same and all your wittering on about prior examples has zero relevance whatsoever to anything.

And no, I'm not back peddling. Maybe I didn't express myself properly in my initial post. So I am clarifying what I meant now as best as I can.

Now that I have clarified, and explained why I am curious, can somebody please give me an example. Any example of a synth, not an audio processing tool, which is very common to have basic and pro versions.
Watch them goalposts move.
I'm just going to comment on one thing. I don't own any IOS Apps. I know nothing about them. So that explains my "ignorance'" about them. If this is common in IOS Apps, I didn't know.

I am referring only to Synth VSTs that I can use on my Windows platform PC. That's what I know. I don't even know much about MAC, nor do I care.

All I know is when I go to a web site to buy synth X, they don't also show me an option to buy synth X+ unless the plus is to get additional libraries. I've never heard of two functionality different synths unless one of them was free.

If Flexion came with two different models, function wise, I would be incredibly surprised. Of course Sam brought up about the ability to upload patches to a user base. Yes, that could be a big thing for a lot of people and if that's an additional feature, that would certainly qualify. Personally, it doesn't bother me but I know a lot of people who would feel it's wrong to pay extra for something like that, thus making this, IMO, a bad business decision if this is in fact what they're going to do.

Actually, now that I think of it, I can think of one company that does this. XILS. You can get XILS 3 or 4. They are really the same synth but 4 has two sound engines instead of the one.

Or...you can get the LE version which is a cut down version and not free.
Last edited by wagtunes on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:I'm just going to comment on one thing. I don't own any IOS Apps. I know nothing about them. So that explains my "ignorance'" about them. If this is common in IOS Apps, I didn't know.

I am referring only to Synth VSTs that I can use on my Windows platform PC. That's what I know. I don't even know much about MAC, nor do I care.

All I know is when I go to a web site to buy synth X, they don't also show me an option to buy synth X+ unless the plus is to get additional libraries. I've never heard of two functionality different synths unless one of them was free.

If Flexion came with two different models, function wise, I would be incredibly surprised. Of course Sam brought up about the ability to upload patches to a user base. Yes, that could be a big thing for a lot of people and if that's an additional feature, that would certainly qualify. Personally, it doesn't bother me but I know a lot of people who would feel it's wrong to pay extra for something like that, thus making this, IMO, a bad business decision if this is in fact what they're going to do.
That's all fine. Perhaps it would have been better to say that up front instead of the nonsense that was "I know a little something about programs. The basic engine of the synth has to come complete, unless they're seriously making a cut down version."
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I'm just going to comment on one thing. I don't own any IOS Apps. I know nothing about them. So that explains my "ignorance'" about them. If this is common in IOS Apps, I didn't know.

That's all fine. Perhaps it would have been better to say that up front instead of the nonsense that was "I know a little something about programs. The basic engine of the synth has to come complete, unless they're seriously making a cut down version."
As I said, I expressed myself poorly. I'm sorry.

I'll be happy to take my flogging in back of the shed.

wagtunes wrote: All I know is when I go to a web site to buy synth X, they don't also show me an option to buy synth X+ unless the plus is to get additional libraries. I've never heard of two functionality different synths unless one of them was free.
Tone2 does stuff like that. I hate it, but I remember with Gladiator 2 if you want a full range of it's potential features you need to buy additional add-ons that include presets. Waldorf kind of does this too with their PPG Wave software. v2 and v3 are both current models but v3 is more full featured.

http://www.waldorf-music.info/comparison-to-ppg-wave-2v
wagtunes wrote:If Flexion came with two different models, function wise, I would be incredibly surprised. Of course Sam brought up about the ability to upload patches to a user base. Yes, that could be a big thing for a lot of people and if that's an additional feature, that would certainly qualify. Personally, it doesn't bother me but I know a lot of people who would feel it's wrong to pay extra for something like that, thus making this, IMO, a bad business decision if this is in fact what they're going to do.
I'm not sure where all the animosity comes from about this. I'm usually the guy who's got to have the "pro" version, but that usually stems from some mania and not real need. :oops: I don't really see an issue with having different versions for those who may just want a taste and might not care about having the full instrument.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
wagtunes wrote: All I know is when I go to a web site to buy synth X, they don't also show me an option to buy synth X+ unless the plus is to get additional libraries. I've never heard of two functionality different synths unless one of them was free.
Tone2 does stuff like that. I hate it, but I remember with Gladiator 2 if you want a full range of it's potential features you need to buy additional add-ons that include presets. Waldorf kind of does this too with their PPG Wave software. v2 and v3 are both current models but v3 is more full featured.

http://www.waldorf-music.info/comparison-to-ppg-wave-2v
wagtunes wrote:If Flexion came with two different models, function wise, I would be incredibly surprised. Of course Sam brought up about the ability to upload patches to a user base. Yes, that could be a big thing for a lot of people and if that's an additional feature, that would certainly qualify. Personally, it doesn't bother me but I know a lot of people who would feel it's wrong to pay extra for something like that, thus making this, IMO, a bad business decision if this is in fact what they're going to do.
I'm not sure where all the animosity comes from about this. I'm usually the guy who's got to have the "pro" version, but that usually stems from some mania and not real need. :oops: I don't really see an issue with having different versions for those who may just want a taste and might not care about having the full instrument.
Kind of depends on 2 things.

1) What they leave out of the cut down version.

2) The price difference between the two.

Without knowing those two things, I can't really comment one way or another. But imagine you had this scenario.

Cut Down Version - No ability to upload patches to cloud. $129

Full Version - $149

Yeah, it's only $20 more but really? I have to pay $20 just to get to upload patches to the cloud? For me, it's not worth it and since I don't need it, I'll get the cut down version. But for somebody who really wants that functionality, that's a lot of money to pay for one thing.

Imagine it was something more serious, like a piece of the engine is missing. Maybe the cut down version you can't draw your own waveforms and can only load in a few select waveforms.

Would it even be worth getting at any price?

Like I said, depends on what their definition of cut down and full is.

Guess we're just going to have to wait and find out.

Looks like it could be a lot of fun. I'm particularly curious to play with the reaktor to see what it can do. Being able to modulate individual control nodes is one of the feature requests I made for the LFO shapes in Serum, as well as being able to design your own filters like you can in Harmor. Looking forward to giving this a go.

I may have missed it, but is there no noise or sub osc? I have a feeling I'll want more than the 2 LFOs on the right, but it looks like there may be some hidden LFOs to make up for it. Will see.

you have 4 lfo(4 modulators, lfo or env), 2 osc, a noise and a step(osc), i have see that on their site

This is very similar to glass Viper.
The author of glass Viper had had a genuinely new synthesis method. Think about that. Not substractive, no FM, no granular... something new. How valuable is that, in our saturated market?
Great sound, great accessibility to change it.
But the plugin had a tiny UI and a cumbersome copy protection. I suspect the author did not bother to update it to modern GUI standards because it didn't make enough money.

Well, lunch: eaten. Jobomusic took what is valuable in glass Viper, made a decent GUI. It's goodbye for glass Viper for me as soon as this reaches the market. This should be a lesson to plugin makers making tiny GUIs.It's been years now that resolutions are growing fast. Make musical instruments, not instruments of torture.

I'd forgotten about this so thanks for bumping the thread up again. I guess nobody has heard any new news about it lately?

They're working on it and hope the beta will be in test at the end of August.

Great! Cheers.

Return to “Instruments”