Klanghelm's New Compressor - coming soon!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tonhelm wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:
tonhelm wrote:close but different :)
The idea for the Timbre control actually came from a completely different compressor: the 1176. All its revisions have a different tone: Rev F has a more HiFi tone, while Rev D is more honky/mid forward sounding. I wanted to have a control in MJUC that added some more tone shaping qualities to the device.

Drive is a macro control, which sets the in- and output-transformer load as well as the gain for the in and out tube stages (if applicable in the specific model)

Tony
Nice work Tony ! You seem to have dug a lot concerning compressors topologies/behaviours and...can't imagine the efforts you put into these models. But the result is here, I knew we will be rewarded for our patience.
I noticed that when I crank the Drive knob it tends to tame the high frequencies and thicken the mids, or maybe the mids seem thicker because the highs a tamed...anyway, does it come from the transformer or tube stage or both ?
It's a result of the whole signal path. This behavior varies between the models. In situations, where you want to use a lot of drive but the high end taming gets too heavy handed, you can use the timbre control to reduce the taming a bit.

Tony
To me it can be a very good aspect, on some electric/screamy guitars it can tame the harshness and bring the mids up so that very useful and sounds more organic than some eq corrections. Usually I use my Softube TLA 100A to do this but now it has some serious competition... :)

3ee wrote:
For example: currently my FL Studio 12 meter is showing:

BX Opto Pedal: 6-7%
DC8C2: 8%
NI Solid Bus Comp: 7-8%
Presswerk: 8-9%
MJUCjr: 17-18% on auto and 16-17% on either fast or slow time constants.
:shock: :-o

Is this per-core measurement?

Yes, MJUC is using quite a lot of CPU - on my system it uses a bit more than Kotelnikov (free edition) in precise mode and also more than Molot set to 8x upsampling and - at least - about 4 times as much as IKMM's Fairchild emu...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Since there's now an official thread about MJUC I propose we continue all further discussions there instead of splitting in half, no?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=442347

tonhelm wrote:In situations, where you want to use a lot of drive but the high end taming gets too heavy handed, you can use the timbre control to reduce the taming a bit.
During the short go I had at it yet I also noticed that switching off the HQ mode can help brighten it up too - for me the HQ mode so far tended to sound a bit too dull - as what I head with HQ switched off didn?t sound like aliasing to me at all I can only assume that this mode already makes sufficient use of oversampling (which would also help explaining the relatively high CPU load)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Tony created an official thread here : http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 47&start=0
I suggest we all move there to keep on talking about MJUC. :)

jens wrote::shock: :-o

Is this per-core measurement?

Yes, MJUC is using quite a lot of CPU - on my system it uses a bit more than Kotelnikov (free edition) in precise mode and also more than Molot set to 8x upsampling and - at least - about 4 times as much as IKMM's Fairchild emu...
no, not sure.... It's the FL Studio CPU meter... using it always for relative comparison.

Return to “Effects”