Klanghelm's New Compressor - coming soon!?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's out it's out it's out !! :hyper:
Instant buy for me, thanks Tony ! :D

Will be buying this right after work. Looks amazing from the overview, and honestly, I just really respect this company and the whole business model (high quality plugins at low prices with hassles free protection) and want to support it.

OK, playing with the free version (MJUCjr) for 20 min now.... from the 1st time I brought down it's threshold I noticed: wow, this sounds really good, time constant settings... all great!
no latency and phase problems...

looks good, behaves like it should.. it's simple, elegant ..I must admit that I had instant GAS to buy it before further testing.
All great until I gazed upon the CPU meter!

I loaded up all my "quality" compressors that I currently use:

Including Presswerk, BX Opto Petal, NI Solid Bus Comp etc

They all take about HALF or less in most cases CPU!

Is the full version this CPU intensive? :(

It definitely doesn't use as much cpu as Presswerk on my system.......

edit: I stand corrected.....
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

it depends on the model and features you're using. For instance Mk2 uses less than half the cpu load of MJUC jr here. Mk3 also uses much less compared to MJUC jr.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I just really respect this company and the whole business model (high quality plugins at low prices with hassles free protection) and want to support it.
Same here ! Much respect for Tony, very generous considering we get 3 compressors for only €24
and well...a truely gifted developper ! :tu:
I really like that business model too, a free little glance at what you could get for your bucks.
Also, congrats for the GUI Tony !

zvenx wrote:It definitely doesn't use as much cpu as Presswerk on my system.......
rsp
Really? than something's not right... is this with the free version or?

For example: currently my FL Studio 12 meter is showing:

BX Opto Pedal: 6-7%
DC8C2: 8%
NI Solid Bus Comp: 7-8%
Presswerk: 8-9%
MJUCjr: 17-18% on auto and 16-17% on either fast or slow time constants.

tonhelm wrote:it depends on the model and features you're using. For instance Mk2 uses less than half the cpu load of MJUC jr here. Mk3 also uses much less compared to MJUC jr.
hmm... interesting! Dying to try out the full version :pray:

3ee wrote:
zvenx wrote:It definitely doesn't use as much cpu as Presswerk on my system.......
rsp
Really? than something's not right... is this with the free version or?

For example: currently my FL Studio 12 meter is showing:

BX Opto Pedal: 6-7%
DC8C2: 8%
NI Solid Bus Comp: 7-8%
Presswerk: 8-9%
MJUCjr: 17-18% on auto and 16-17% on either fast or slow time constants.
Sorry see my edited version.
rsp
sound sculptist

just tried junior...
love it
bought senior
just tried that
absolutely love it....

HQ mode using 18% on my mid2012 mbp 2.5GHz

dave
Last edited by dave dove on Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmm...the Timbre and Drive functions sounds familiar...I think that there's some of SDRR legacy under the hood. :wink:

close but different :)
The idea for the Timbre control actually came from a completely different compressor: the 1176. All its revisions have a different tone: Rev F has a more HiFi tone, while Rev D is more honky/mid forward sounding. I wanted to have a control in MJUC that added some more tone shaping qualities to the device.

Drive is a macro control, which sets the in- and output-transformer load as well as the gain for the in and out tube stages (if applicable in the specific model)

Tony

tonhelm wrote:close but different :)
The idea for the Timbre control actually came from a completely different compressor: the 1176. All its revisions have a different tone: Rev F has a more HiFi tone, while Rev D is more honky/mid forward sounding. I wanted to have a control in MJUC that added some more tone shaping qualities to the device.

Drive is a macro control, which sets the in- and output-transformer load as well as the gain for the in and out tube stages (if applicable in the specific model)

Tony
Nice work Tony ! You seem to have dug a lot concerning compressors topologies/behaviours and...can't imagine the efforts you put into these models. But the result is here, I knew we will be rewarded for our patience.
I noticed that when I crank the Drive knob it tends to tame the high frequencies and thicken the mids, or maybe the mids seem thicker because the highs a tamed...anyway, does it come from the transformer or tube stage or both ?

Endor-8o8 wrote:
tonhelm wrote:close but different :)

Tony
Nice work Tony ! You seem to have dug a lot concerning compressors topologies/behaviours and...can't imagine the efforts you put into these models. But the result is here, I knew we will be rewarded for our patience.
I noticed that when I crank the Drive knob it tends to tame the high frequencies and thicken the mids, or maybe the mids seem thicker because the highs a tamed...anyway, does it come from the transformer or tube stage or both ?
It's a result of the whole signal path. This behavior varies between the models. In situations, where you want to use a lot of drive but the high end taming gets too heavy handed, you can use the timbre control to reduce the taming a bit.

When you set the Drive control to 0, only the actual compression stages are active and the other (saturating) parts are replaced by clean, ideal, linear parts, making the compressor pretty linear and the freq response changes very little when hitting the comp harder.

Tony

Return to “Effects”