Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:It's one of those random... "Can't have your cake and eat it too" things.
Once again.. most other other DAWs don't have this issue. :party: For that matter, it's the only double-click action I know of in S1 that does this... so you could almost say that even Studio One doesn't have the issue.

I did make this FR directly to Presonus and it was acknowledged (the support guy said it annoyed him too!). No change in v3.

I also brought it up on the forum (before the changeover). I was given similar info as to what you said, so thanks for mentioning it here as well. I'm sure other people would be glad to know it's not just their system.

Not to get off topic, but does anyone know who owns presonus?

beatmangler443 wrote:Not to get off topic, but does anyone know who owns presonus?
Presonus.

Robert Randolph wrote:Once again.. most other other DAWs don't have this issue. :party:
Find one you like, be happy, forget about the rest. :tu:

Hey guys, you know how for instance in Cubase you have to MIDI part editors open and are able to enter notes on the part that has focus without editing notes in the other editor? I think in FL it's called "ghost editing" or something like that. I can't seem to write notes in Studio One 3 without erasing the notes from underlying editor if you can understand what I'm saying. Is there a way to do this?

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

LawrenceF wrote:Find one you like, be happy, forget about the rest. :tu:
I use two separate DAW's all the time. There's never been one single DAW that does everything well.

Fortunately, now that some DAW's can be used as VST plugins or Rewired in, there's less need to settle on just one.

Orbit-50 wrote:Hey guys, you know how for instance in Cubase you have to MIDI part editors open and are able to enter notes on the part that has focus without editing notes in the other editor? I think in FL it's called "ghost editing" or something like that. I can't seem to write notes in Studio One 3 without erasing the notes from underlying editor if you can understand what I'm saying. Is there a way to do this?

.-.
Click the "track list" in the midi editor and a panel to the right left will appear with all the tracks. Now, you have a very nice control to view the tracks as 'ghost' or active ..etc. Play little with two tracks and the 'pencil'/'dot' icons to choose what you like :)

The only thing that I really don't like in Version 3 is the help file or manual. Please tell me it is not completed yet! I like a lot the user manual for version 2. Very informative and concise at the same time, but the help in version 3 is horrible.

LawrenceF wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Once again.. most other other DAWs don't have this issue. :party:
Find one you like, be happy, forget about the rest. :tu:
Nah.

I collab with someone who uses S1 and it's far easier to use the same software.

I also enjoy using other DAWs. I find it fun and educational. There are car enthusiasts, train enthusiasts, beanie baby enthusiasts. I'm a DAW enthusiast.

If I'm doing work, I use DP and I'm quite happy with it. If I'm not doing important work, I like to use other software and it frequently opens my mind to doing things in new ways, or learning about commands that are available but hidden in other software.

I also use S1 sometimes for certain tasks that are not particularly awesome in DP. Multitrack editing (drums) and bend markers in S1 are amazing. With elastique v3, it easily surpasses Pro Tools and Logic in this realm. DP is fairly poor in this regard, so I will happily dump tracks in to S1 and get to work.

EnGee wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote:Hey guys, you know how for instance in Cubase you have to MIDI part editors open and are able to enter notes on the part that has focus without editing notes in the other editor? I think in FL it's called "ghost editing" or something like that. I can't seem to write notes in Studio One 3 without erasing the notes from underlying editor if you can understand what I'm saying. Is there a way to do this?
.-.
Click the "track list" in the midi editor and a panel to the right left will appear with all the tracks. Now, you have a very nice control to view the tracks as 'ghost' or active ..etc. Play little with two tracks and the 'pencil'/'dot' icons to choose what you like :)
Dude, have I told you that I love you lately? Well if not, here goes: I love you man! :love: Thank you so much! I could not for the life of me, figure it out.

I totally agree about the manual thing. I feel like I'm playing "whack a mole" when looking for something in the online manual. My thought is that they promised Groove 3 that there would be an exodus of users signing up for their Studio One 3 tuts downloads because of the "not super informative and user friendly" manual, or just joining because they have the Studio One 3 tuts and the other products they offer. Nice strategy if that is the case. I can't hate them for that. I believe Presonus is working on a full PDF manual or they already have it and will release it soon. :)

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Orbit-50 wrote: Dude, have I told you that I love you lately? Well if not, here goes: I love you man! :love: Thank you so much! I could not for the life of me, figure it out.

You are welcome bro :)
I totally agree about the manual thing. I feel like I'm playing "whack a mole" when looking for something in the online manual. My thought is that they promised Groove 3 that there would be an exodus of users signing up for their Studio One 3 tuts downloads because of the "not super informative and user friendly" manual, or just joining because they have the Studio One 3 tuts and the other products they offer. Nice strategy if that is the case. I can't hate them for that. I believe Presonus is working on a full PDF manual or they already have it and will release it soon. :)

.-.
I really hope so, although I'm still in Version 2. I think I will upgrade near Christmas time because I'm not in hurry.

One thing about version 2 manual is that I thought I don't need a manual, but I discovered when I read it (still) that it is better than any tutorial for Studio One! I mean the details are amazing, so I really hope they will release a pdf version of the manual for S1v3.

Another 'ghost' tip, you might be interested in :hihi: is when you make a copy for a clip (I tried only midi), if you highlight the clip and press 'd', it will make independent copy, but if you click on the clip (and keep clicking) then press 'Ctrl' , you will notice a tool tip says 'shared copy'. Now if you drag it, you will notice a small 'ghost' appears on bottom left of each clip. If you change the midi notes in one clip, it will be change in the ghost clip, or shared clip.
That's it! no more tips :P

Uncle E wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:Find one you like, be happy, forget about the rest. :tu:
I use two separate DAW's all the time. There's never been one single DAW that does everything well.

Fortunately, now that some DAW's can be used as VST plugins or Rewired in, there's less need to settle on just one.
For sure. I use S1, Reaper and FL. But generally speaking I always have a "main host". Cubase was my main host for decades and now S1 is my main host, but sure, other tools are always handy. But I don't gripe so much about the things Reaper doesn't do to my preference, I just use it for what it's good for (for me) and ignore the rest of it, like it's midi sequencer methodology, which I personally don't care for.

But I mix in Reaper also, it's great mix platform, and use FLStudio for it's strengths. But no, me saying "every other daw splits midi clips without changing the midi performance" ... doesn't really help me use Reaper better. I made the FR some years back and put that annoyance in my rear view mirror.

If I weren't so tied into more modern UI's I'd probably be using Pyramix for audio which surpasses some of these more popular daws in many ways, but I have trouble getting on with it's UI. Functionally, it's quite a strong audio daw, with some features that don't appear in some other places.

I think we actually use some of them - because - they're not like every other DAW. :)
Last edited by LawrenceF on Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote: Dude, have I told you that I love you lately? Well if not, here goes: I love you man! :love: Thank you so much! I could not for the life of me, figure it out.

You are welcome bro :)

.-.
I really hope so, although I'm still in Version 2. I think I will upgrade near Christmas time because I'm not in hurry.

One thing about version 2 manual is that I thought I don't need a manual, but I discovered when I read it (still) that it is better than any tutorial for Studio One! I mean the details are amazing, so I really hope they will release a pdf version of the manual for S1v3.

Another 'ghost' tip, you might be interested in :hihi: is when you make a copy for a clip (I tried only midi), if you highlight the clip and press 'd', it will make independent copy, but if you click on the clip (and keep clicking) then press 'Ctrl' , you will notice a tool tip says 'shared copy'. Now if you drag it, you will notice a small 'ghost' appears on bottom left of each clip. If you change the midi notes in one clip, it will be change in the ghost clip, or shared clip.
That's it! no more tips :P
:hihi: Thanks again for all of your help. I really love this software man, but it does totally need a thorough manual. The tutorials are pretty good also. They have a guy that is totally straight forward in voice and teaching style. I'm going to go back now and practice being the best "ghost editor track master" the world has ever seen. Up, up and away... :hihi:

.-.

Uncle E wrote: I use two separate DAW's all the time. There's never been one single DAW that does everything well.
Have you tried the new Samplitude Pro X2?

Skorpius wrote:
Uncle E wrote: I use two separate DAW's all the time. There's never been one single DAW that does everything well.
Have you tried the new Samplitude Pro X2?
I surely hope you're not implying that Samplitude does everything well... :lol:

Robert Randolph wrote: I surely hope you're not implying that Samplitude does everything well...
I'm not sure whether you've actually worked with the latest version, Pro X2. I suppose not, otherwise you would probably not have made that remark.

Pro X2 maybe doesn't do everything well, but lots more than other DAWs.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”