Studio One 3 Announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would be nice if you could simply assign a region to a arrangement section, rather than each arrangement simply being a 'global splice and move'

I.e. clip/region groups. (like many other DAWs have)

There is nothing wrong with the arranger, it's just very basic. The DP and Cubase versions are more comprehensive and non destructive. This is why DP has been the standard playback medium for live shows , very easy to change order, edit etc. I just thought with it being promoted as a major feature there would be more to it, there isn't.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Robert Randolph wrote:It would be nice if you could simply assign a region to a arrangement section, rather than each arrangement simply being a 'global splice and move'

I came into this thread to say just this ^^^

You right-click a clip/event then click, say, "Keep with Chorus". Whether it overlaps or not. That would work for me.

quote instead of edit
Last edited by jens on Tue May 26, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

LawrenceF wrote:you may have to slide a few crossover points in your final edited version
First of all it's not neccessarily just "a few crossover points" - some transitions require careful listening while adjusting the length of the overlap and the length and curve of the fade out (and sometimes fade in) - this can take a few minutes already on just a single track.

So if I used the feature I would have to carefully look for transitions on each track and then manually replace the falsely cut items with the correct longer ones.

How long does it on the other hand take to select all items you want to copy manually?

That's the reason why the feature is useless - because to fix what it messes up takes alot longer than to just not use it at all - see?

That's why it's so painfully dumb - because it aims at being a time-saver (it's not doing anything you could not easily do by hand) and then completely fails at it. and it would not take a rocket-scientist to get it right. Yet they brag about it as if it was the best thing since sliced bread.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

garryknight wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:It would be nice if you could simply assign a region to a arrangement section, rather than each arrangement simply being a 'global splice and move'

I came into this thread to say just this ^^^

You right-click a clip/event then click, say, "Keep with Chorus". Whether it overlaps or not. That would work for me.
Yes, brilliant idea and indeed a good solution! :tu: :hail:

Not arguing it one way or another Jens. Just said, "I used it on some stems and it worked fine." It gives options not availble in v2 so, no biggie. I'd say if a user can find a use for it, use it, if not, don't.

How they (Presonus) chooses to market that feature is completely irrelevant to me. I use things that are useful for me in some way and ignore things that aren't, universally. Like I said earlier, I mostly use it for mix automation. The splits don't matter in that case because they're all perfect copies of each other, the splits, and different parts, except for automation.

Re: Scratch Pad... I recall memyselfandus here some months ago asking for a Scratch Pad feature to throw random musical ideas into to keep around until he decides how to use them. It was funny because he literally used the same name as that feature and described that feature before I even saw it in v3. When I saw it in the beta my first thought was... "That's exactly what memyselfandus asked for on KVR." He wasn't asking for it for S1, just in general, in one of his many... "I wish all daws did x" ... threads.

If you dig around his threads you'll probably see it.

LawrenceF wrote:Not arguing it one way or another Jens. Just said, "I used it on some stems and it worked fine." It gives options not availble in v2 so, no biggie. I'd say if a user can find a use for it, use it, if not, don't.

How they (Presonus) chooses to market that feature is completely irrelevant to me. I use things that are useful for me in some way and ignore things that aren't, universally. Like I said earlier, I mostly use it for mix automation. The splits don't matter in that case because they're all perfect copies of each other, the splits, and different parts, except for automation.

Re: Scratch Pad... I recall memyselfandus here some months ago asking for a Scratch Pad feature to throw random musical ideas into to keep around until he decides how to use them. It was funny because he literally used the same name as that feature and described that feature before I even saw it in v3. When I saw it in the beta my first thought was... "That's exactly what memyselfandus asked for on KVR." He wasn't asking for it for S1, just in general, in one of his many... "I wish all daws did x" ... threads.

If you dig around his threads you'll probably see it.
What an awesome name... adds a whole new element to your comment, when you refer to memyselfandus. Good thing he's also a good dude.

I have to say that I'm intrigued by some of the new features of Studio One 3. They definitely spent some time in trying to make Studio One the only DAW you need. I'm not saying it is (I wouldn't know and don't care to jump off a cliff with that assumption), but I do think this could be one of the best attempts.

I will definitely try the demo and give it some good consideration. They have quite a few features I want, so this may be hard to say no to.

elxsound wrote:What an awesome name... adds a whole new element to your comment, when you refer to memyselfandus. Good thing he's also a good dude.
Yeah, he apparently owns every popular daw ever made. :)

He makes these ... "Every DAW should do X..." ... or ... "Why don't all DAW's do X?" ... threads in a lot of different forums, sometimes 4-5-6 in a row, and some of his ideas are actually pretty good imo, even if his expectations (nobody ever always does the same things) tend to stretch reality at times. :lol:

But yes, he quite literally called that one before anyone (in public anyway) ever saw it. :hihi: That's (imo) fundamentally all it really is at it's root, the scratch pad, a fast and automatic way to throw musical ideas aside for later and retrieve them. If some clever people use it for some other things also, that's cool too I guess.

Anyway, here's another text mix i did from scratch (no pun intended) in v3. I'm not completely happy with the mix but all went well, no showstoppers or issues... http://theaudiocave.com/mixes/summer15/praise.mp3

If you listen closely, if you listen to people playing at the same time a lot and can tell the difference, you can tell it was sequenced, most of that song. There's a few giveaways on a few bar lines that scream "sequencer", or something like quantizing, where you can "feel" the sequencer grid.

For what I do, mostly mix, v3 is way better than v2. If my majority use case was producing with VI's I might feel differently about that, no idea, I don't do much of that, for real anyway, just for fun.

Jesus! Good Lord! For heaven's sake - now that is sinfully corny!

jens wrote:Jesus! Good Lord! For heaven's sake - now that is sinfully corny!
Hey man, I'm not a music critic, I just mix what people give me. :hihi: Although nobody gave me that one just for me to mix, they came from somewhere else, the stems.

I don't mix Hard Rock, Death Metal or anything else in the hard rock universe, or EDM. Not in my wheelhouse. Most anything else I'll take a run at. I have a rule about not mixing anything (genre wise) that I don't listen to for pleasure, because if I don't like (or really know or understand) the genre it becomes too much work.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Tue May 26, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The mix sounds much too good for that... that... that... whatever - I don't think there's a word for stuff like that.

No problem here with people expressing their faith at all, but bloody hell!

jens wrote:The mix sounds much too good for that... that... that... whatever - I don't think there's a word for stuff like that.

No Problem here with people expressing their faith at all, but bloody hell!
Lol. :) Mixing is easier than most people think, to get something "decent" anyway. It just takes a heck of a lot of patience, and focus, which many people don't have, or can't keep going for a long time.

Most often when a mix really sucks it only means you gave up too soon. There's no third party audio plugins on that mix btw, I just used what comes with S1 for the test.

Actually I think it's much harder than people then to assume. :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”