Is My Stage Name Good Enough?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote:Yeah. Its a true fact. Like those V-neck tank tops you like to wear. :P
You needed 24 hours to come up with that? :lol:

For what it's worth, it took me 18 years (that's not a typo) to settle on an artist name. Tens of aliases and using my real name in the interim. I was never happy with any of them. I consider myself pretty decent with words and reasonably skilled when it comes to forming a compelling turn of phrase, but trying to 'force' an identity I liked did me no favours at all. It's a bit of a long story as to how I arrived at it, but the short version is that I clicked after listening to another artist's music how much I was trying to background certain aspects of my personality. That I wasn't fully comfortable with my identity in a more general sense. The name (Charity Queen) followed very quickly. I knew instantly it was the one. None of the uncertainty that marked every other name I begrudgingly gave myself over the years.

Oddly enough though, having the right identity kicked my creativity into gear for a while. It didn't make my music any better from an objective standpoint, but I suddenly felt a lot more comfortable trying and failing, or making stuff outside my comfort zone. Coming up with track titles became a cinch too. Everything feels like it comes from a more real place now.

If you're not particularly fussed about the identity 'feeling' right, just go with something that doesn't throw up a ton of Google results to make yourself easy to search. I don't think anyone was ever more or less popular because their name wasn't quite right.

GRIEF3R wrote: Basically, I need some HONEST help on whether you think the name is good enough.
:dog:
when i first saw the thread, i thought, hey someone's pretty smart!

i mean, "good enough" might not be a headliner but it's solid for support gigs and weeklies.

but then you say your stage name is something else!

and you ask for HONEST help about being able to tell is your stage name is "good enough" when you just said it's something else! it's very puzzling!

fortunately there's a facile solution to be found :) add an S for stage nameS then you can be one thing and good enough and whatever else.

i have a good name for a computer artist, the UNSIGNED CHARS. UNSIGNED SHORTs i suppose too :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

i can see now that this is a trap, you're just waiting for someone to say "your name isn't good enough it's greefer" thinking they're clever then you'll jump all over them saying "my name is never good enough is it!"

i think the problem is with names more than anything.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Tom Jones is about as bland as it gets. Worked for him. 'The Jam' is a shit name for a band, they did pretty well.

Dont try too hard to be cool. Let your music (or whatever it is you are doing) do the talking...

Charity Queen !!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Charity Queen !!
I know right! :lol:

There's nothing exceptional or interesting about it when you look at it from outside - it's not some incredible name of genius that bears the 18 years it took to settle on it. But I can't tell you how me it feels, and how good it is to finally present my rubbish music with a name that feels natural and unforced. I had no idea how much an identity mattered to me until I had one I believed in. Just gotta start making some decent tunes now. :P

Numanoid wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Yeah. Its a true fact. Like those V-neck tank tops you like to wear. :P
Aah ... did you miss me? Been counting the hours?. I don't live here like you. I dont lol my own jokes either.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Aah ... did you miss me? Been counting the hours?. I don't live here like you. I dont lol my own jokes either.
Dude, you really are fast :hihi:

Living here? You got more posts than me in the forum. I'm just operating at a more sensible speed than y'self :P

To below poster, why can't you just give it a rest? :help:
Last edited by Numanoid on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numanoid wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
Dude, you really are fast :hihi:

Living here? You got more posts than me in the forum. I'm just operating at a more sensible speed than y'self :P
Counting the hours and now counting my posts ... dude you got it bad.

Numanoid wrote:To below poster, why can't you just give it a rest? :help:

Kriminal wrote:Tom Jones is about as bland as it gets. Worked for him. 'The Jam' is a shit name for a band, they did pretty well.
And lest we forget... The Beatles is an awful, awful name but er... yeah
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Sendy wrote: I think of dubstep
+1
The combination of a word with negative connotation and the leet spelling definitely screams dubstep/bass music before Im anywhere near the music.
Agree; Not good or bad, but certainly giving off a feeling.
Sendy wrote: I've considered changing my project name from Sendy to some more clever stuff
:o Wow really!?
Fwiw, it routinely crosses my mind how awesome of a nic that is for modulated electronic music. I absolutely love it.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”