Selling your new album without getting involved in Streaming

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:well that was irritating!
I concur. Looks like it was shot ["directed"] by someone attempting to up-scale their career from 'Toys-R-Us' holiday commercials, with a bunch of reformed "hello kitty", kids.

painful.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

chaosWyrM wrote: the point is that there is no obstruction to entry in the "art" world. creating art is easy, anyone can do it...and just about everyone on earth has at some point done it. its ubiquitous to the human experience.

This is only true because 'art' for most people has been defined down so many times.

Being a concert pianist is actually quite difficult. By no means is it something that anyone can do. Same applies to playing flamenco guitar or performing in a gender wajang quartet. Those are all 'art', too.

I'm not saying that all unconventional art is bad, or that there should be barriers to entry, or that untrained artists are inferior. But there needs to be some recognition of the fact that some types of musical endeavor involve a high level of craft and many years of commitment. Acting as if the whole enterprise of music is nothing but sonic finger painting and audio collage is an oversimplification that does an injustice to the richness of musical culture.

tedinmexico wrote: The ultimate streaming horror story: P. Williams got 43 million plays for his song "Happy" and received a check for $2700. Ouch! That can't buy my synthesizer. It's a sick joke. That not be me.
Not true - http://fusion.net/story/33442/pharrell- ... -of-happy/

Should I repost the video I made in response to this guy? I feel like we are just feeding the troll if this post has lingered 7 pages.

She Changed Her Mind wrote:'the point is that there is no obstruction to entry in the "art" world. creating art is easy, anyone can do it...and just about everyone on earth has at some point done it. its ubiquitous to the human experience.'
Nonsense. Besides, your whole argument comes down to: "oh someone stole my car, let's walk...because someone will steal it anyhow!"
Theft is just theft; whatever you state. The only difference as it comes to stealing is that a car is somewhat harder to steal than software. Well.. in most cases.

uummm.....im i supposed to understand that? cuz i dont...like at all.

not only do i have no idea what youre talking about...but it doesnt seem to have even the slightest bit to do with the quote. :shrug:
Last edited by chaosWyrM on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

herodotus wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote: the point is that there is no obstruction to entry in the "art" world. creating art is easy, anyone can do it...and just about everyone on earth has at some point done it. its ubiquitous to the human experience.

This is only true because 'art' for most people has been defined down so many times.

Being a concert pianist is actually quite difficult. By no means is it something that anyone can do. Same applies to playing flamenco guitar or performing in a gender wajang quartet. Those are all 'art', too.

I'm not saying that all unconventional art is bad, or that there should be barriers to entry, or that untrained artists are inferior. But there needs to be some recognition of the fact that some types of musical endeavor involve a high level of craft and many years of commitment. Acting as if the whole enterprise of music is nothing but sonic finger painting and audio collage is an oversimplification that does an injustice to the richness of musical culture.
well, its true because its true. no amount of qualifiers placed upon the statement will make it not true.

the distinction you seem to be making here is between art and "fine" art. "obstruction to entry" means exactly that. everyone on the face of the planet has the capacity to create art. granted...not everyone has the talent or skill to create good art....but thats irrelevant to my point.

the level of difficulty in being a concert pianist has nothing to do with anything. as it stands the one and only obstacle to entry for being a concert pianist is access to a piano.

why does there need to be recognition of the fact that some types of musical endeavor involve a high level of craft and many years of commitment? (not that i even necessarily agree with that statement)

im not acting as though anything is "sonic finger painting" im simply stating that there really isnt anything "special" about making art...which is why, in general its difficult to make a living at it. its ultimately a useless talent that everyone has to varying degrees.

my point was not about the difficulty in creating art that is considered by critics and the general public to be "good". my point is that anyone, anywhere, at any time can create art.

and they do...all the time.

art has no intrinsic value, it is everywhere, it is a byproduct of human beings, like carbon dioxide or feces. every culture in the history of the human race created art. children create art. the insane create art. the severely handicapped create art. the blind paint and the deaf create music.

there is zero obstruction to entry.

we seem to be, as a species, unable to NOT create art.

which of course is why it generally doesnt command much of a paycheck. you know...supply and demand and all that.

but everyone wants to be a famous artist.

far far more people make money off of other people wanting to make money off of art than do making money off of art.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”