Is it silly to buy Elektron Rytm if I have Spark LE?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm debating whether or not I should buy the Rytm. I've been leaning towards doing it, but I realize that Spark LE does a lot of what the Rytm does for samples. I'm mainly going to be using the Rytm to twist/manipulate and sequence samples. The analog drums will also be a nice fun addition I think to get grooves going. But I personally love samples and twisting them into something else and sequencing them.

This all started when I started to get curious how buying a new modern analog drum machine would provide some new inspiration and direction, like most gear would. The Tempest was my first look and I really like the sound of it. Seems deep with a lot to explore. Unsure on how intuitive it is with it's depth, but it still seems like a fun unit. Thought about the Octatrack as I like samples and it seems like it has a lot of capability, but I'm still trying to figure out why I would choose it over the Rytm. Probably need to look into it further. But the Rytm has me thinking more than the others as it has analog drums, user sample import, and an analog signal path to process. The main thing I like about the Rytm are the Performance/Scene modes that seems to allow you to manipulate the samples as it's playing. Looks like it could be inspiring. Seems like a lot of money to spend when my main use would be to try twist the samples with the Perf/Scene modes and other onboard FX/features.

Spark LE can do a lot with samples, but it's not a contained instrument without the computer. I actually like that it has the computer to go deeper into it. I personally think Spark is better than Maschine for it's ease of use, which I also have. Just wondering if Rytm will bring something noticeable to the table.

If you mainly want to work with samples, then the Rytm aint the one to choose. For samples, you want the Octatrack if you are looking to add a standalone Elektron box.

Would the Rytm or Octatrack give me anything that Spark LE isn't going to give me?

I have Spark (the big un) and RYTM (and an A4)

Spark is great, as is Maschine and PUSH with live etc. (I also have those!)......but they are all dumb controllers operating computer programs, virtual instruments, they all need a computer and a soundcard. This method of working has many advantages if you want to stay 'in the box', but you have to be confident in your set up to take it live.

For RYTM you wont need a computer - just plug it in a PA (or headphones) and you have a real instrument (quirks and limitations and all!) -You have electron p-lock style sequencing, lots or real time performance controls and Rytm is predominantly 'real analogue' (with samples available for say cymbals) rather than a 'virtual' analogue engine

I bought a RYTM and an A4 to get some 'real' analogue in my set up and to have something I could play that didn't involve a computer.

Elektron stuff is hands on 'fun' and it sounds amazing, but it isn't cheap, it is harder to use with a DAW than plug ins (you need to sync it, record it etc.) -That said, when Overbridge eventually comes out...

Same argument applies to Diva Vs. A4 or Live Vs. Octatrack (sans the analogue sound)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

stikygum wrote:Would the Rytm or Octatrack give me anything that Spark LE isn't going to give me?
Yes...

I have the Rytm (and Analog Keys) and it is standalone (obviously)... no computer needed. The Rytm also has ground shaking bass. The low-end is endless :-)

The Rytm is super creative and is an amazing live performance machine. From the Plocks, to the Scene and Performance modes to the sample manipulation and Chromatic option. You can do drones and bassline/melodies.

The thing that limits the sound design possibilities on the Rytm is the lack of modulation. That is relative though :-)

Here is a 40 minute live performance using nothing but the Rytm... gives a good idea of the range of sound design possible and some of the live performance possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEpadpq ... freload=10

i love the rytm,i don't actually own one but i did have an A4(which i sold for a DS pro 2,no regrets there)

electron stuff is awesome and i would buy a rytm if the asking price was £799
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

It was in November when they had the big sale ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

So from what I gather, the Rytm isn't going to give me anything I don't have, except a different way of working with sounds (hands free from the computer) and high quality analog sound. It seems like the Perf/Scene modes along with Plocks are the main benefits of going with the Rytm.

What do the performance and scene modes actually allow you to do? You can basically assign any parameter to the pads and use the velocity sensitivity to alter the sounds it seems.

Spark with it's XY pad does the stutter thing too (like the Octatrack). Though the Octatrack has that nifty Delay control function (which I think the timing is mapped across the 16 x0x buttons with this feature). So I guess it's a different way of working. It would be cool if each unit made it easy to record the stutter effects.

stikygum wrote:So from what I gather, the Rytm isn't going to give me anything I don't have, except a different way of working with sounds (hands free from the computer) and high quality analog sound. It seems like the Perf/Scene modes along with Plocks are the main benefits of going with the Rytm.

What do the performance and scene modes actually allow you to do? You can basically assign any parameter to the pads and use the velocity sensitivity to alter the sounds it seems.
The high quality analog sound is no small thing. When working with samples, the analog signal path from the sample on gives it a warm lovely character and you get an analog tone that is just different than digital... analog filter, overdrive, distortion and compressor.

The Scene mode uses the 12 pads as on/off switches between states. Performance mode uses the Pads as pressure sensitive controls to modulate between states. One pad can control numerous parameters on multiple tracks (Scene or Performance). The pads send and receive midi so you could also use a midi controller with knobs instead of pressing the pads in performance mode.

The Rytm is very immediate, hands on and of course has no latency. It is costly, but you get a well built high performance instrument that is a pleasure to use. Just because two devices have some similar features, does not necessarily tell you how those features are to use in realtime and that is where the Rytm really shines.

Hit the button to go in Performance mode. Press a pad to change the sound and while holding it go to Mute mode and mute a track then go to Chromatic mode and play a melodic line on another track. The amount of modulation on the performance pad will stay until you go back to performance mode and release it. Same for the scenes, so you can use the different modes all together on the fly. Then there are the Plocks which let you change basically anything per step, including which sample you are using.

I think it depends also on how you work. The Elektron way is not about microscopic adjustments of tiny automation curves and if that is how you want to work, the Rytm may be somewhat wasted on you. It's great for creative and spontaneous exploration with its fluid workflow and forgiving analog sound. It is hard to make it sound bad in a bad sorta way :-)

Many people (I've never even seen one up close myself) dislike the actual feel of the Rytm's pads, and say they are very imprecise in detecting velocity. They are frequently bashed on the Elektronauts forum.
If finger drumming is important, it would be a good idea to try one and see how you feel about that.

Aural Chaos wrote:Many people (I've never even seen one up close myself) dislike the actual feel of the Rytm's pads, and say they are very imprecise in detecting velocity. They are frequently bashed on the Elektronauts forum.
If finger drumming is important, it would be a good idea to try one and see how you feel about that.
Yeah, the pads are not my favorite... gotta hit em too hard for my taste and they could be more consistent.

Velocity is not that imprecise, but it could be better. Also, you can disable the default velocity to volume and use velocity mod matrix to set amp volume. That has a better feel for chromatic playing and it is set per sound.

I would like if there was some user control over pad sensitivity and default velocity scaling.

pdxindy wrote:If you mainly want to work with samples, then the Rytm aint the one to choose. For samples, you want the Octatrack if you are looking to add a standalone Elektron box.
I agree. You're looking at it all backwards. RYTM is an analog drum machine with the addition of samples on top of the Elektron style sequencer. Octatrack is a full featured sampler on top of the Elektron style sequencer. Frankly, I'd say since you're already tied to the computer with the SparkLE, stay there.

Here's what I tell everyone before they buy any Elektron. Go spend some quality time with one. They're odd as hell in terms of how to use them. For instance, if I'm demoing patches on my Analog Four, I can't just scroll though a list and use a MIDI keyboard to trigger the patch. I have to use the Analog Four's buttons, or hit "Yes" to load the patch, then hit "yes" again to get to the patch browser, use the up/down buttons to move to the next patch, then repeat. It's plain and simply stupid and Elektron devices are full of such things.

Some people love them though. I'm in love with the sound of the Elektron Four, but if Overbridge doesn't deliver a better way to work with it, I'm going to forever ditch Elektron. I love the sound of the analog engine on the RYTM though, but I've decided to stay with samples, software and a Nord Drum 2 as drum synth engines.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
pdxindy wrote:If you mainly want to work with samples, then the Rytm aint the one to choose. For samples, you want the Octatrack if you are looking to add a standalone Elektron box.
I agree. You're looking at it all backwards. RYTM is an analog drum machine with the addition of samples on top of the Elektron style sequencer. Octatrack is a full featured sampler on top of the Elektron style sequencer. Frankly, I'd say since you're already tied to the computer with the SparkLE, stay there.
That said... The recent Elektron Science Lab competition allowed the use of a single sample and no synthesis on one Elektron box that can use samples (MachineDrum, Octatrack or Rytm). The overall winner used a Rytm.

These are a few of the many entries done on the Rytm. So again, all the entries used the same single vocal sample provided by Elektron and none of the analog oscillator based machines. So the Rytm is no slouch when it comes to samples and the sound design possible... and the sound is warm and gorgeous.

https://soundcloud.com/elektronauts/ar- ... t-a-device
https://soundcloud.com/prydrm/ar-erwinn ... er/s-h2CwM
https://soundcloud.com/dscbl/ar-dscbl-audio-infinity
https://soundcloud.com/kingshill/ar-kings-hill-blackbox
https://soundcloud.com/koshimazaki/ar-k ... ng-machine

zerocrossing wrote:
Here's what I tell everyone before they buy any Elektron. Go spend some quality time with one. They're odd as hell in terms of how to use them. For instance, if I'm demoing patches on my Analog Four, I can't just scroll though a list and use a MIDI keyboard to trigger the patch. I have to use the Analog Four's buttons, or hit "Yes" to load the patch, then hit "yes" again to get to the patch browser, use the up/down buttons to move to the next patch, then repeat. It's plain and simply stupid and Elektron devices are full of such things.
On my Analog Keys... you turn the big sound selection knob and immediately scroll through sounds which can be played via the keyboard as you scroll. Hitting 'yes' loads the sound and 'no' reverts to the sound you had. Easy as can be.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”