Why I don't use iLok and other Horror Stories

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robotmonkey wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Then why don't developers choose serials/keyfiles? Cmon, it should be obvious that serials are usually the optimum choice but few developers choose them because they don't protect software as well/easily. Mad props to Urs for going that route.
There are plenty of great developers who actually do. Urs, Camel Audio (formely), Fabfilter, Plug and Mix, Imageline, Valhalla, Ohforce, Cakewalk tha come to mind immediately. Some of them probably have the sh1t pirated out of their products but they still seem to do fine. Just look out what Image Line has to say about it. Some of those plugins have never been properly cracked (uhe, CA).
Yes, but most don't because, regardless of what is or isn't cracked, they don't believe that serial protection is as good. Seriously, serial isn't really a part of the question. Given that a dev won't go that route, I prefer that they go dongle over C/R or any form of internet authentication.
So you might have your precious plugin protected with the most advanced and unbreakable protection that is also a huge punishment for your paying customers, but only 10 people are using it. But have you gained anything from it really?
If only 10 people are using a plugin, you aren't going to be in business very long. Copy protection is ubiquitous, I'm fairly certain that devs, in general, think that it's better than not having copy protection. I don't feel like it is such a "huge punishment", more of a necessary inconvenience.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”