9 year old Sylenth1 just keeps kickin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Is 9 year old Sylenth1 the de facto standard for EDM?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:52 am

Of Course
45%
Are you kidding?
11%
Most top producers use it but I'm just not sure
11%
No, synth x,y,z has more features, PWM, is 64bit and has more modulation options.
34%

Total votes: 113

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

fluffy_little_something wrote:How do you clean, maintain, and upgrade a computer if you don't open and touch it? 8)
That's what I have a PC tech for.

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:How do you clean, maintain, and upgrade a computer if you don't open and touch it? 8)
Who doesn't know his stuff :clown:

Mace404 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Who doesn't know his stuff :clown:
People who never learned it.

Can you create your own plugins?
Can you create a Reaktor Ensemble?
Can you write a symphony?

You know not everybody in the world knows how to work on a PC. I guarantee you that if everybody who attends this forum were honest, there are at least a few of them that they know very little about computers other than to turn them on and install software.

Good for you that you can open up your PC and take it apart and put it back together.

I supposed there is just nothing in this world you CAN'T do. :roll:

wagtunes wrote:
Really, compared to programming messing with hardware is really primitive. I have built my computers myself for decades, it's pretty simple to deal with hardware. Everything is standardized and basically foolproof.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Really, compared to programming messing with hardware is really primitive. I have built my computers myself for decades, it's pretty simple to deal with hardware. Everything is standardized and basically foolproof.
Foolproof, huh? Let me tell you a little story that just happened to me recently.

My PC is less than 2 years old. I have as little on it as possible. It'd dedicated almost entirely to my music. My other PC is for all the stupid stuff. Plus it's only a Pentium 4 with 3 gig RAM.

Anyway, one day I turn on my music PC and it won't go past the startup screen. It just keeps going in this loop and never makes it to Windows. I have no clue what's causing this. So I call my PC tech and he comes down to check it out.

He's scratching his head. Nothing in the PC has changed. All his tests show nothing wrong. Hardware is fine. Hard drive is fine.

To make a very long story short, it turns out that what happened is that one of the Windows updates caused a conflict in the legacy support for old USB stuff. He had to turn this feature off in my BIOS in order for the PC to start up.

I wonder how many of the brain surgeons here would have figured that out.

PCs can become very temperamental and not work for the stupidest reasons. Sometimes even trained techs have a devil of a time figuring things out. Even if I took the time to learn the bare basics, if something were to go wrong, I would be up the creek without a paddle as I would have no clue where to go from there.

Why risk all the hassle and headache when it's not something I need to do. Right now my I3 is fine. I can run 48 instances of Omnisphere before I run out of memory.

Anyway, this ends here. I'm not discussing my PC skills, or lack thereof, in a thread that's supposed to be about Sylenth1. If you want to continue this discussion about PC repair and upgrade you can do it without me.

I'm done.

So, it was a software issue, not a hardware issue :wink:
But ok, it's indeed off-topic...

It's as simple as this: if your PC tech tells you it's not possible to only swap your CPU, then he either doesn't know what he's talking about or he's trying to rip you off. In both cases I would suggest to go look for a new PC tech ;)

Reefius wrote:It's as simple as this: if your PC tech tells you it's not possible to only swap your CPU, then he either doesn't know what he's talking about or he's trying to rip you off. In both cases I would suggest to go look for a new PC tech ;)
He said, and I quote, "Going from an I3 to an I5, no problem. Going from an I3 to an I7, that's where most of the time you need to reinstall the OS."

I am NOT discussing this anymore.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Everything is standardized and basically foolproof.
That's not true at all. On the contrary you have to be very careful which components you combine as there could be a lot of incompatibilities.

Of course all those components mechanically fit, but if the system will work is a whole new story. :roll:

But let's discuss S1... :clown:

I've purchased Sylenth1 last year, didn't even know how old it was and don't really care. It has this kind of warmth in its sound that no other 'modern' synth has.

I would love to see a Sylenth2 without the tabbed interface though.

2ZrgE wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Everything is standardized and basically foolproof.
That's not true at all. On the contrary you have to be very careful which components you combine as there could be a lot of incompatibilities.

Of course all those components mechanically fit, but if the system will work is a whole new story. :roll:

HANDLING hardware is foolproof, and in most cases it is not even possible to combine stuff that should not be combined. Different types of connectors, slots, sockets etc. help prevent that.

Reefius wrote:I've purchased Sylenth1 last year, didn't even know how old it was and don't really care. It has this kind of warmth in its sound that no other 'modern' synth has.

I would love to see a Sylenth2 without the tabbed interface though.
Same here, I did not know, I would never have guessed based on the demo version, which sounded so good to my ears. And even now that I do know, I don't care.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
2ZrgE wrote:

HANDLING hardware is foolproof, and in most cases it is not even possible to combine stuff that should not be combined. Different types of connectors, slots, sockets etc. help prevent that.
Bottom line is: Even if handling may be foolproof mechanically, you still can run into a lot of problems when combining components (then you may have all sorts of blue screens, freezing system etc.)

So without any deeper experience I wouldn't build up a PC system on my own, there's enough shops who can do that kind of work as a service. I rather spend my time making music. 8)

And the argument that a computer musician should know how to backup/restore a system is utter nonsense, especially when it comes to restoring a full working system to new hardware (which is possible but not trivial).

2ZrgE wrote: Bottom line is: Even if handling may be foolproof mechanically, you still can run into a lot of problems when combining components (then you may have all sorts of blue screens, freezing system etc.)

So without any deeper experience I wouldn't build up a PC system on my own, there's enough shops who can do that kind of work as a service. I rather spend my time making music. 8)

And the argument that a computer musician should know how to backup/restore a system is utter nonsense, especially when it comes to restoring a full working system to new hardware (which is possible but not trivial).
You're spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt). What do you mean by "combining components?" Plugging in a new graphics card and a new sound card? Adding a new hard drive? Sheesh. I've been building my own PCs for twenty years, any problems you MAY come across are almost always down to bad drivers, and you are just another 'Wagtunes' who can't be bothered to just read a few webpages and watch a few videos, and are trying to put other people off learning by spreading your nonsense here.

Nobody suggested restoring a system to new hardware - I suggested making a backup so that if your new hardware caused your installation to stop working, you could go back to the old hardware and THEN restore the old installation, and you'd be back where you started, with a working system again.

And Sylenth is still fantastic, it works for me.

Yeah sure, you have to know what goes together, but there are websites where you can configure your computer online, and they have filters which won't even allow you to buy, say, the wrong memory modules for a given motherboard.
Actually, there are very few individual components in a computer.

I have a problem with external services, I would hate to give my computer to some stranger, who could access my hard drive. As if the secret service Trojans we all have on our computers weren't enough :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”